Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:15 am
Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:01 am If needed people will switch back to working locally and cycling but they won't like it forced on them.
I used to cycle 30 miles a day for my commute but I had chosen and planned it, now if I was told I had to cycle three miles to the train station I'd be annoyed.

As things change people will plan their lives around those changes and adapt, if personal travel becomes more expensive then towns might again be more desirable than villages.
Always wondered why people often want to retire to where there is less of everything! :wtf: I wouldn't live in a village anyway, but if I did, i'd move into town when I retired!
I'm considering, at some point, buying a small place in the valley to let out in the winter, but somewhere close enough to 'everything' for the day I really am too old to live up here - on the basis that virtually everything is closed for 5 months of the year!! Not keen on the idea, but it's currently my 'long term' back up plan!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Pirahna

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Pirahna »

Always wondered why people often want to retire to where there is less of everything! :wtf: I wouldn't live in a village anyway, but if I did, i'd move into town when I retired!
I'll move into town when I'm too old and infirm to do anything except drive a mobility scooter to the doctors.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Depends what you want less/more of.

We currently live in one of the busiest cities in the world and it's good in some ways, it never sleeps so you can get anything you want at any time you want, but the traffic and hoards of people make me long for a quiet life.

We bought a place for retirement in a rural village with more fields and space, and less people and houses.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

I'd love to see what help is being given to those of us not on the gas grid* and being gouged by heating oil and/or Calor gas prices.
On the plus side, instead of being 3x the price of gas it'll now only be 45% higher. :roll:

* The same who are subsidising those train and bus rides that aren't any use to us either. :(
;)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Kneerly Down wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:06 pm * The same who are subsidising those train and bus rides that aren't any use to us either. :(
;)
Think of it as insurance, so they're there when you need them ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:01 am If needed people will switch back to working locally and cycling but they won't like it forced on them.
I used to cycle 30 miles a day for my commute but I had chosen and planned it, now if I was told I had to cycle three miles to the train station I'd be annoyed.

As things change people will plan their lives around those changes and adapt, if personal travel becomes more expensive then towns might again be more desirable than villages.
Less crime? Less pollution? Less traffic? (Not that you'd think there was less crime or traffic if you plugged into the stream of angst and anger that is nextdoor.com. :( ).

Village is OK, but only while you can drive/ride...and there's a city not far away. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:15 am Always wondered why people often want to retire to where there is less of everything! :wtf: I wouldn't live in a village anyway, but if I did, i'd move into town when I retired!
Fewer people. That's the win for me. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Skub wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:33 pm
Taipan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:15 am Always wondered why people often want to retire to where there is less of everything! :wtf: I wouldn't live in a village anyway, but if I did, i'd move into town when I retired!
Fewer people. That's the win for me. 8-)
[Tick]

Your name's on the list, thanks for volunteering. Wait over there ;)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I'm not sure less than the village we're in is really possible. But the answer is, I'm sitting outside and it's silent
Horse

Post by Horse »

weeksy wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:48 pm
I'm not sure less than the village we're in is really possible. But the answer is, I'm sitting outside and it's silent
B-inL was keen to get away from 'noise'. They moved to a village. Farmer was starting his tractor at 5am.

Where they are now (after a couple more moves -"This time, I'm not moving to anywhere where the nearest road has a white line down the centre") is, to be fair, very quiet.

But it's an hour from big shops, main hospital, car servicing. The 'post office' is a van twice weekly in the nearby village. No buses nearby. Nearest railway is miles away. No taxis, etc.

They may be moving again, from their 'forever home'.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I'm not knocking you lot, each to their own and all that, but living in silence with a tiny population would drive me mad! I want, nay, need interaction, such as multiple pubs, restaurants, shops, markets, transport links and all within walking distance! A market or coastal town is my idyll!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Move to Louth, its a market town with a busy old fashioned centre and its at the arse end of nowhere. :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

We live in a group of about 30 houses about half mile from edge of town.
Totally silent which we love.

15 minute stroll into centre of town and bars and restaurants

:)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:57 pm We live in a group of about 30 houses about half mile from edge of town.

Silence is deafening, but you're getting there...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 3:00 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:57 pm We live in a group of about 30 houses about half mile from edge of town.

Silence is deafening, but you're getting there...
Pardon ? :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

20220918_160346.jpg
20220918_160346.jpg (791.06 KiB) Viewed 142 times
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:50 pm I'm not knocking you lot, each to their own and all that, but living in silence with a tiny population would drive me mad! I want, nay, need interaction, such as multiple pubs, restaurants, shops, markets, transport links and all within walking distance! A market or coastal town is my idyll!
I do totally understand that. It wouldn't be for me all year round, I've never liked living in towns or cities, but I do understand the appeal

Where I am is ridiculous for 5 months of winter, way too many people, but everything open :D Summer is similar but slightly less people. But over the years, you work out where to stay away from!!

I do so love the interseasons when there's no one here :D The downside is that this also means that the shop is only open in the week, and (currently) there is no bar or restaurant open on the weekend, and generally none open in the evenings on weekdays - a friend has just bought a place that I believe she will be opening in the interseason :D Flip side of that is that there's not many people up here that I'd be meeting anyway, so it isn't all bad LOL

I couldn't be up here without transport. I've done it for the odd week, but no way could I do that for a whole inter season. And the drive down isn't bad, riding down is better :D So I'm ok with that

Downside for me is, when I am too old to ride/drive I'll be stuck here in the interseason, hence possibly in the future looking for somewhere small in town in the valley. Summer up here would be better as wayyyyy too hot in the valley, but the two interseasons would be a bastard with no transport - buses only run in winter and summer :roll: Or just get an electric 'sans permis' vehicle (as long as my eyesight is ok!) and stay put :D :D
Last edited by Noggin on Sun Sep 18, 2022 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:50 pm I'm not knocking you lot, each to their own and all that, but living in silence with a tiny population would drive me mad! I want, nay, need interaction, such as multiple pubs, restaurants, shops, markets, transport links and all within walking distance! A market or coastal town is my idyll!
Yeah errrrm, no thanks
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I like to live in an affluent market town, rammed with the chattering classes and outrageously priced organic farmer's markets and PAWG'y young mums going out jogging in those indecently tight trousers with their hair all done and full makeup and eyelashes.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I would never go back into the city for love nor money. Where i am now is about 8000 population what is just enough to have a busy wee town centre but no to busy where you cant move or 10 deep on bars trying to get a drink. Enough restaurants to always get a table somewhere at short notice. Two caravan parks and lots of small hotels with a good tourist season so never a ghost town. Just right i would say