Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Couchy

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Couchy »

Lots of nervousness with the EV owners we speak too. Some charge points are now £1 per kw, that works out at 30p per mile, nearly double what the average diesel car costs. Seems a lot bought into EV being cheaper rather than better for pollution and if it carries on will be going back to diesel. They’re ok if you can charge at home on a good tariff but risky if you can’t.
Slenver

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Slenver »

Couchy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:57 am Lots of nervousness with the EV owners we speak too. Some charge points are now £1 per kw, that works out at 30p per mile, nearly double what the average diesel car costs. Seems a lot bought into EV being cheaper rather than better for pollution and if it carries on will be going back to diesel. They’re ok if you can charge at home on a good tariff but risky if you can’t.
I wasn't in a position to buy an electric car anyway, but would certainly have considered it for my/our next car. There's no way currently though, the maths has been skewed by the price rises.

I have a couple of friends with fixed nighttime tariffs and solar panels etc, and it works out as peanuts for them. But with domestic prices going up to 35p/unit* it pretty much negates any running cost advantage and there's still the up front purchase costs. So I wouldn't consider one at all for the time being.

*Obviously the actual cost of electricity is some weird secret for some reason and we have to work back from the mythical 'price cap' but I think I read on MSE that it was 35p in my region.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I posted this about a hundred or so pages ago, but I don't think the agenda is to make motoring cheap and convenient, I think it's to try and make it so expensive that it's reduced to the bare minimum.

In fact, this is dangerously close to a conspiracy theory, but I think overall as resources get stretched there is an undercurrent of policy to push the unwashed masses back into their place and make luxury travel or items only available to the wealthy - there isn't enough to go around.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:52 am I posted this about a hundred or so pages ago, but I don't think the agenda is to make motoring cheap and convenient, I think it's to try and make it so expensive that it's reduced to the bare minimum.
I don't think it's either.

My problem with any conspiracy theories is that you have to have a base assumption that the government is capable of having an agenda at all.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

CoolBus are the biggest 'local' transfer company and definitely have led the way in EVs for transfers

http://skiflightfree.org/coolbus-update ... dduHdKOyMU

Electricity in the valley mostly (all?) comes from water - huge dam below Tignes and an electricity station at the bottom of the route down from there. So, not only do the EVs produce no fumes, the electricity isn't produced at a power station. Given the massive pollution in the valley on Saturdays (summer and winter) this is pretty awesome and will be fab if more companies can find a way to do similar. It does mean adjustments for breaks between transfers but charging stations are being built in 'useful' places near airports (ok, mostly Geneva at the mo!) and the network across France is improving all the time

Anyway. I think it's really positive :D Not least due to the people (mostly out here) that keep saying it isn't possible due to the cold!! :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:52 am I posted this about a hundred or so pages ago, but I don't think the agenda is to make motoring cheap and convenient, I think it's to try and make it so expensive that it's reduced to the bare minimum.

The motorist is just an enormous cash cow for the government. They don't want to reduce their income.

They simply haven't worked out how to get the same sort of income with EVs yet.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Slenver wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:26 am
I don't think it's either.

My problem with any conspiracy theories is that you have to have a base assumption that the government is capable of having an agenda at all.
Yambo wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:23 am
The motorist is just an enormous cash cow for the government. They don't want to reduce their income.

Wrong thread for this discussion but it's not the governments agenda, it's the agenda of people that influence governments.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Thing is electric used for cars hasn't had any duty added to it yet, it will come or they will start charging per mile to use the roads making it even more expensive. The days of cheap motoring are def on the way out. I do wonder how those on low wages will afford a car to get to work. We could find 1000's of low paid people unable to get to work, especially those on shifts where public transport isn't an option. Surely we need the lower paid going to work as a lot of stuff they do is needed
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Couchy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:37 am

Thing is electric used for cars hasn't had any duty added to it yet, it will come or they will start charging per mile to use the roads making it even more expensive. The days of cheap motoring are def on the way out. I do wonder how those on low wages will afford a car to get to work. We could find 1000's of low paid people unable to get to work, especially those on shifts where public transport isn't an option. Surely we need the lower paid going to work as a lot of stuff they do is needed
Before the advent of cheap transport the lower paid lived close to work. If workers can't travel, business will have to decentralise.
Think of the health benefits :D

Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

People going to work predates personal cars by a century or ten.

I've just realised that the complaint about people living in terraced housing with no off road parking has quite a lot of links to the historical need for people to live close to work. That amuses me for some reason.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Slenver wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:19 am
Couchy wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:57 am Lots of nervousness with the EV owners we speak too. Some charge points are now £1 per kw, that works out at 30p per mile, nearly double what the average diesel car costs. Seems a lot bought into EV being cheaper rather than better for pollution and if it carries on will be going back to diesel. They’re ok if you can charge at home on a good tariff but risky if you can’t.
I wasn't in a position to buy an electric car anyway, but would certainly have considered it for my/our next car. There's no way currently though, the maths has been skewed by the price rises.

I have a couple of friends with fixed nighttime tariffs and solar panels etc, and it works out as peanuts for them. But with domestic prices going up to 35p/unit* it pretty much negates any running cost advantage and there's still the up front purchase costs. So I wouldn't consider one at all for the time being.

*Obviously the actual cost of electricity is some weird secret for some reason and we have to work back from the mythical 'price cap' but I think I read on MSE that it was 35p in my region.
If you’re on a standard variable tariff: The average unit price for dual fuel customers paying by direct debit will be limited to 34.0p/kWh for electricity and 10.3p/kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ember-2022
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

The polluters are paying. :thumbup:
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

FWIW I think the price of electricity has gone up due to market forces, not some sort of government plot.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Asian Boss wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:36 pm If you’re on a standard variable tariff: The average unit price for dual fuel customers paying by direct debit will be limited to 34.0p/kWh for electricity and 10.3p/kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October

Average is 34.0p, varies by region. They range from 33.08p to 36.02p. Gas from 10.19 to 10.5p, but I don't have gas so don't care :)

Figures here, you'll need to open the dropdown.

Though actually, I misread the table and I'll be 34.09 not 35 anyway :)
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Slenver wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:41 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:36 pm If you’re on a standard variable tariff: The average unit price for dual fuel customers paying by direct debit will be limited to 34.0p/kWh for electricity and 10.3p/kWh for gas, inclusive of VAT, from 1 October

Average is 34.0p, varies by region. They range from 33.08p to 36.02p. Gas from 10.19 to 10.5p, but I don't have gas so don't care :)

Figures here, you'll need to open the dropdown.
Sorry. I wasn't aware of that variation. My energy bills are fairly low so I haven't really looked into it.
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

Asian Boss wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:44 pmSorry. I wasn't aware of that variation. My energy bills are fairly low so I haven't really looked into it.
Quite alright :)

There's always been that variation since the price caps were introduced I think. I guess that's one of the reasons they use the bizarre 'average home price cap' nonsense, as a failed way of trying to keep it simple for the peasants.
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 11:49 am
Lol, if you suggest to the average worker now that they should cycle to work they look at you like you're insane.

There was a school near our old house and the road was always blocked by fat mums bringing their fat kids to school in cars.
People near our new place are filling the FB group with complaints about traffic because the only road out of the village is being dug up for something, one bloke moaned yesterday that his place of work is two miles away and he could walk quicker - I replied that maybe he should and he rebuked me for a stupid comment - he genuinely thinks that walking two miles to work is preposterous.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:29 pm People going to work predates personal cars by a century or ten.

I've just realised that the complaint about people living in terraced housing with no off road parking has quite a lot of links to the historical need for people to live close to work. That amuses me for some reason.
I live in a new town, built around and old one, by the CNT (commission for new towns). They built lots of industrial areas connected by a good cycle path network which worked very well, with 16:00 turning the cycle paths into a scene from China!

Trouble was, apart from a few areas, no provision was made for car parking in the terraced streets and having off street parking now puts a better premium on your property than an extension!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

If needed people will switch back to working locally and cycling but they won't like it forced on them.
I used to cycle 30 miles a day for my commute but I had chosen and planned it, now if I was told I had to cycle three miles to the train station I'd be annoyed.

As things change people will plan their lives around those changes and adapt, if personal travel becomes more expensive then towns might again be more desirable than villages.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:01 am If needed people will switch back to working locally and cycling but they won't like it forced on them.
I used to cycle 30 miles a day for my commute but I had chosen and planned it, now if I was told I had to cycle three miles to the train station I'd be annoyed.

As things change people will plan their lives around those changes and adapt, if personal travel becomes more expensive then towns might again be more desirable than villages.
Always wondered why people often want to retire to where there is less of everything! :wtf: I wouldn't live in a village anyway, but if I did, i'd move into town when I retired!