What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
irie

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by irie »

Noggin wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:20 pm (Although I am half planning to get a snowboard on loan and relearn to do that!!) :D
Uh-oh, another accident in the making ;)
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

irie wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:13 am
Noggin wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:20 pm (Although I am half planning to get a snowboard on loan and relearn to do that!!) :D
Uh-oh, another accident in the making ;)
My physio pissed me off a couple of years ago when I mentioned that as he told me I was 'too old' to learn to snowboard!!!

I learnt when I was 41 - just haven't done it the last few seasons as had a bad shoulder!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

the_priest wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:45 pm Quite the bargain I think.
Today I've chuckled at that turn of phrase. I have no idea why, it just tickled me.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

My Mum had the vaccine part 1 on Monday (a home visit) and she hasn't turned into a zombie yet. In fact, she seems rather well - happy days :banana-dance:

And [edit] I was just talking to someone from work, someone I dont know, I said the obligatory "Hi, how are you" and he said "OK, I have covid". Now, if ever there was a reason to turn off the work laptop, put your feet up for the day and watch some Judge Judy, it's covid right? What's wrong with some people.
Last edited by Trinity765 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lockdown refugee
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:10 am
Today I've chuckled at that turn of phrase. I have no idea why, it just tickled me.
Are you Ken Dodd ?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:14 am And [edit] I was just talking to someone from work, someone I dont know, I said the obligatory "Hi, how are you" and he said "OK, I have covid". Now, if ever there was a reason to turn off the work laptop, put your feet up for the day and watch some Judge Judy, it's covid right? What's wrong with some people.
Some people just like working - I often find myself doing a bit on the laptop when I'm not "supposed" to be. Some of us are just odd like that.

I actually quite like having my laptop switched on and connected to the VPN all the time, it means I can drop in and out of work. I end up doing way more than my contract hours, but since I like doing it there's no harm.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:21 am
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:14 am And [edit] I was just talking to someone from work, someone I dont know, I said the obligatory "Hi, how are you" and he said "OK, I have covid". Now, if ever there was a reason to turn off the work laptop, put your feet up for the day and watch some Judge Judy, it's covid right? What's wrong with some people.
Some people just like working - I often find myself doing a bit on the laptop when I'm not "supposed" to be. Some of us are just odd like that.

I actually quite like having my laptop switched on and connected to the VPN all the time, it means I can drop in and out of work. I end up doing way more than my contract hours, but since I like doing it there's no harm.
I appreciate that and it was said partly in jest. It can depend on what job you do and how much ownership you take of it. This guy works in a contact centre, there are plenty of other people to pick up the work and there is no recognition for working when you don't feel well - but yes, I get it, work can be interesting and you can feel better when you're doing something and the day can go quicker.
Lockdown refugee
636mick

Post by 636mick »

I spend a lot of time on my work phone replying to emails, arranging stuff, talking to people, when I’m off duty. In the current situation and with changes at work happening constantly, I see this as my job tbh. When I WFH I don’t sit at the pooter for 8 hours so it’s a bit of give and take.
Must admit, if I get COVID I will be having some time off.
Just my opinion.
Mick
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've always said that if I won the lottery I'd still go to work.

I'd love the opportunity to find out if I mean it :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:35 am

I appreciate that and it was said partly in jest. It can depend on what job you do and how much ownership you take of it. This guy works in a contact centre, there are plenty of other people to pick up the work and there is no recognition for working when you don't feel well - but yes, I get it, work can be interesting and you can feel better when you're doing something and the day can go quicker.
Is he in contact with other folk and risking passing it on ?
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:57 am
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:35 am

Is he in contact with other folk and risking passing it on ?
No, working from home. We sent all staff home in March 2020 and anyone in the office now has a very legitimate reason for being there, such as mental health, no home internet, no work station. Productivity is up.
Lockdown refugee
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

I just looked at the Venetian blind in the kitchen that I climbed up on the worktop to clean the other weekend. I think all I did was smear much of the thin layer of grease around each of the slats. :(

Take it down and give it a good scrub in the garden, I reckon....
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:10 am
We do our best! :D Even got a laugh at the funeral I helped take today. The gentleman we were saying farewell to lived to be 90 and was a mischevious funny man, who was warm, caring and open hearted. Nice to hear people laughing in memory of him.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:14 am
And [edit] I was just talking to someone from work, someone I dont know, I said the obligatory "Hi, how are you" and he said "OK, I have covid". Now, if ever there was a reason to turn off the work laptop, put your feet up for the day and watch some Judge Judy, it's covid right? What's wrong with some people.
:angry-argument: :angry-argument: :angry-argument: :angry-argument:

Why are there fucking retards in the workplace that:

a, think going to work whilst COVID positive is acceptable in any way, shape or form
b, don’t pack the above idiots off home and instigate a full isolation / deep clean programme
c, don’t have robust enough employment contracts to censure those who fall in camps a and b

Thankfully there are responsible employers / individuals out there.

For example, a client of mine sent all staff home on full pay for a week this week to deep clean following 4 people testing positive COVID in the same dept, seemingly one further member of staff must have been asymptomatic and introduced the infection even though 2m rules and screens are everywhere.

Further example, mate’s employer gave out a written warning and suspended a member of staff for coming into the workplace whilst showing symptoms, having tested positive and within their isolation period. Not sure of the details but I bet he’s only on SSP...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

AFAIK if you have employee to employee transmission at work it's treated the same as accidents when it comes to HSE records, so it's not just a case of 'try to avoid it if you can'.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Silly Car wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:27 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:14 am
a, think going to work whilst COVID positive is acceptable in any way, shape or form
b, don’t pack the above idiots off home and instigate a full isolation / deep clean programme
c, don’t have robust enough employment contracts to censure those who fall in camps a and b

We did this early on, then slowly more and more people started going back (after completing a form). It was never more than 30% of the workforce. All communal spaces were closed, there's a one way system for entering and leaving the building, masks to be warn when not at your desk and there's a temperature scanner when you first enter that has to turn green before you can open the door. There have been two confirmed cases in the office recently so we've tightened up again (stern emails) with only a handful of people there now for legitimate reasons.
Lockdown refugee
formula400

Post by formula400 »

fitted new security bars to the garage, got to use me angle grinder for the first time, had to grind away some brick, was quite fun, then after I fitted the brackets I trimmed some of the coach bolts, tell you what they produce loads of sparks, I was silly though as I don't have ear defenders and my ears are still ringing :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Attachments
7FD9C468-EEB8-49FE-BA73-E42F3CE2DF03.jpeg
7FD9C468-EEB8-49FE-BA73-E42F3CE2DF03.jpeg (342.52 KiB) Viewed 938 times
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I spent most of the morning trying to find some paperwork the accountant said had been sent to me. Pretty sure it hasn't arrived :roll:

But, it did mean I sorted a few more things and pretty sure I now have space to make a table by the sofa (so many offcuts I kept - I knew there was a good reason!! LOL)

Then shared some beer with a some friends - I got a couple of bottles of my favourite local beer yesterday, but in 750ml bottles! :o ! I can't drink all that in one go so we had beer instead of the usual vin chaud/hot choc!!

After that it was off to physio

I know I rave about my physio (he's hot and he's an awesome physio - what's not to rave about!) but yesterdays picture on skis with both arms out to the side has made me so happy (still smiling today!). And I do credit him with a lot of the progress. Yes it's a team effort - I have to do my part - but he does really really push me and it's working.

Downside is that therapists here don't take that kind of compliment well! I find it awesome that French therapists treat, or at least keep an eye on, the mind as well as dealing with the physical reason a patient is there. In rehab, anytime I complimented the therapists they always replied with "it's my job"

Now maybe it's because I've never seen particularly good physios in the UK or, because I saw them so rarely there wasn't the chance to build up the sort of relationship that I build with physios in rehab, and yes, the physio in resort, but I do rate the French physios (along with the health system allowing physio 3 or more times a week) Very very highly

But it is frustrating, I tried to thank Antoine for being amazing and helping me so much and he just said - "it's my job, I can't take any credit!!" Silly man!! LOL

Anyway, I have another two new exercises to do (the exercises now fill an A4 page!!!) but whilst I recover from today's physio session, I'm about to have an online French lesson!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:43 am I've always said that if I won the lottery I'd still go to work.

I'd love the opportunity to find out if I mean it :D
But not mention the win & act like a total asshole until they fired me
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Went out for 5 hour enduro and we were all getting tired and not sure why.
Just got home and it's still 27c right now. That explains it.

Must have been a surprise scorcher day :)