RTTL : Pembrey trackday extravaganza 2021. August 20/21/22.

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Bigyin

Re: RTTL : Pembrey trackday extravaganza 2021. August 20/21/22.

Post by Bigyin »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:45 pm I've won the golden ticket!!! Huge thanks to the Mods and everyone who contributes here.

My only experience is a Reclaim Our Tracks day at Brands around 10 years ago and while they taught us the rules of the track (flags and stuff), there was no tuition. So I'm almost as novice as they get and brickin' it in the most exciting way :banana-dance:

Now, what bike? I have a Street Triple RS or do I hire one?
We had a laugh last year on a mixture of bikes mostly non sports bikes, Tracer 900, Multistrada, people have taken KTM 390's 690's. MT10, MT07 ....... your Triumph will be spot on for Pembrey. ;)

Any questions you ask before then will be answered, there is no such thing as a daft question, any help you need at the track will be there and dealt with among the group. i spent a couple of years just sorting peoples paddock stands and driving into town in Weeksys motor doing shop runs as i was only there for the beers, bbq and piss taking. Bit different now with the change in rules

I last rode on track when i was about 20, last year at Pembrey with the RTTL mob was my first time riding on track since then 33 years later and loved it ... i may have the bug now hence booking Portimao hopefully this year but we will see...... not much of a step up :D
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Trinity765 wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:45 pm I've won the golden ticket!!! Huge thanks to the Mods and everyone who contributes here.

My only experience is a Reclaim Our Tracks day at Brands around 10 years ago and while they taught us the rules of the track (flags and stuff), there was no tuition. So I'm almost as novice as they get and brickin' it in the most exciting way :banana-dance:

Take your Triumph, you're better off on a bike you know, any modern road tyre will be fine on track (I did a track day on a set of Maxxis Super Diamond sport touring tyres a couple of years ago and they were fine), ride in your own space, if you feel that someone is pressuring you to go faster let them come past, if you can't find the line round the track ask an instructor to show you.
Honda Owner
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:07 am

Take your Triumph, you're better off on a bike you know, any modern road tyre will be fine on track (I did a track day on a set of Maxxis Super Diamond sport touring tyres a couple of years ago and they were fine), ride in your own space, if you feel that someone is pressuring you to go faster let them come past, if you can't find the line round the track ask an instructor to show you.
I've swayed towards my own bike as I am very comfortable on it. It has all the toys (quick shifter, slipper clutch, traction control) and it would never forgive me for denying it the opportunity. I've had the suspension set up by Steve Jordan but for the road. I believe there will be advise on the day about that :D Suspension is a dark art. I'm also looking forward to buying some sporty tyres as I usually go for boring longevity :thumbup:
Lockdown refugee
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:15 pm

We had a laugh last year on a mixture of bikes mostly non sports bikes, Tracer 900, Multistrada, people have taken KTM 390's 690's. MT10, MT07 ....... your Triumph will be spot on for Pembrey. ;)

Any questions you ask before then will be answered, there is no such thing as a daft question, any help you need at the track will be there and dealt with among the group. i spent a couple of years just sorting peoples paddock stands and driving into town in Weeksys motor doing shop runs as i was only there for the beers, bbq and piss taking. Bit different now with the change in rules

I last rode on track when i was about 20, last year at Pembrey with the RTTL mob was my first time riding on track since then 33 years later and loved it ... i may have the bug now hence booking Portimao hopefully this year but we will see...... not much of a step up :D
Thanks, this is helpful to know as I'm feeling out of my league - no pressure!! I excel at fun though - pretty sure I can do that :D
Lockdown refugee
fil2

Post by fil2 »

not for me...to far and a shit track...……..when u do cadders im in !

but good luck and good to see this type of group / biking / td stuff happening...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

fil2 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:58 pm not for me...to far and a shit track...……..when u do cadders im in !

but good luck and good to see this type of group / biking / td stuff happening...
Won't happen for a million different reasons.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:50 pm
I've swayed towards my own bike as I am very comfortable on it. It has all the toys (quick shifter, slipper clutch, traction control) and it would never forgive me for denying it the opportunity. I've had the suspension set up by Steve Jordan but for the road. I believe there will be advise on the day about that :D Suspension is a dark art. I'm also looking forward to buying some sporty tyres as I usually go for boring longevity :thumbup:
I have known Steve Jordan and his wife Sarah for many years and they are very good people when it comes to bike set up. You wont need it much different and as i said before there are some knowledgeable people amongst the group who turn up as well as the suspension guys the organisers have there as part of the set up :thumbup:

Dont overthink it and have a look through the previous threads on the forum for the last trackday ;)
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:48 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:50 pm
I have known Steve Jordan and his wife Sarah for many years and they are very good people when it comes to bike set up. You wont need it much different and as i said before there are some knowledgeable people amongst the group who turn up as well as the suspension guys the organisers have there as part of the set up :thumbup:

Dont overthink it and have a look through the previous threads on the forum for the last trackday ;)
What BigYin said (although I haven't known the Jordans as long or as well!! LOL)

I took my Blackbird, TL1000s, ZX10r and 390 Duke out with no adjustments. Ok, when I was comfortable in Inters I had the suspension 'done' on the 10r and DAMN it made a difference. But I was a LOT better by then than before! I'd say I was a pretty quick road rider - on track I was quick round corners but not so quick in a straight line :roll:

Take the Triple. Chill. And, most importantly, ENJOY!!!

If they have free instruction there, take that option too. I used to try and get an instructor for the second session in the morning and the first after lunch at most track days - if you can get the same instructor both times its handy as they can see your progress and continue the teaching rather than start out from scratch

:obscene-drinkingcheers:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Take the bike you know as it’s one less variable to worry about. Absolutely any bike works on track, just drop your pressures and go simple as that. Some monkeys even take Africa twins and royal enfields out there !

ImageGJW_4081 by Tony H, on Flickr
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Couchy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:52 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:49 pm

Brake when you see God, chuck it on its side, save it on yer knee and wheelie out.

Always try to look good for the camera :)
Like this

No piss take intended, but what actually happened there?

I did almost exactly the same thing on pretty much the last lap of my day at the Ron Haslam school on the final left hander before the start/finish. Still no idea what I did wrong, nearly 20 years later :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

weeksy wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:51 pm As you'll have seen, RTTL have offered a member on here a FREE trackday for August this year at Pembrey.

Thanks to our host, Alan at PBTD we have another space up for grabs too which has been offered to Docca for his services to the NHS in the past year. Just something to give him a day out, a bit of a break and a bit of a social gathering with like minded mates from RTTL (and the older places)

I don't know if Docca can make it yet, but amazing work by Alan and the guys at PBTD to offer out the place.

Thanks guys.
Well it looks like the big boy Docca is planning to make it to Pembrey. I'm pretty sure he's ridden there once before back 15+ years ago as we all stayed in random B&B just down the road. I'm not actually sure if any of us even had kids it was that long ago.

But if anyone deserves a day out relaxing and getting away from things, he's 100% top of the list.

As for what bike he'll be on, I can't even begin to imagine!
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:06 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:49 pm

Brake when you see God, chuck it on its side, save it on yer knee and wheelie out.

Always try to look good for the camera :)
Like this

I did almost exactly the same thing on pretty much the last lap of my day at the Ron Haslam school on the final left hander before the start/finish. Still no idea what I did wrong, nearly 20 years later :D
Too much throttle too early simple as that :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:03 am

Like this

Not quite that simple. Was about 5th or 6th lap. Tyres warmed up and did same as previous laps.
Soft second gear always gave a little hint if back tyre was struggling for grip.
This time it just went with no warning. I wasn't really pushing.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:16 am

Not quite that simple. Was about 5th or 6th lap. Tyres warmed up and did same as previous laps.
Soft second gear always gave a little hint if back tyre was struggling for grip.
LOL so too much throttle, if you hadn't opened the throttle it wouldn't have let go :lol: but yeah there could have been something on the track but I prefer to think it was completely the fault of the rider in this case :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:20 am
Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:16 am

LOL so too much throttle, if you hadn't opened the throttle it wouldn't have let go :lol: but yeah there could have been something on the track but I prefer to think it was completely the fault of the rider in this case :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Twat :mrgreen:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Any questions you ask before then will be answered, there is no such thing as a daft question
Trinity765, you've been here long enough to appreciate that that 'no daft questions' is, unfortunately, accompanied by plenty of daft answers ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Horse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:26 am
Any questions you ask before then will be answered, there is no such thing as a daft question
Trinity765, you've been here long enough to appreciate that that 'no daft questions' is, unfortunately, accompanied by plenty of daft answers ;)
"There's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer" was one of my Mum's truth nuggets so I'm well prepared.
Bigyin wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:48 pm Dont overthink it and have a look through the previous threads on the forum for the last trackday
This however, I can't do. I am one of lifes overthinkers. I think about stuff until I think of something to think about. The best I can do is keep quiet as that way, no one knows I'm doing it :thumbup:
Lockdown refugee
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:16 am I wasn't really pushing.
That is why I asked! You can see from the video that you're not trying especially hard.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:37 am
This however, I can't do. I am one of lifes overthinkers. I think about stuff until I think of something to think about. The best I can do is keep quiet as that way, no one knows I'm doing it :thumbup:
Ride faster, then you won't have time to think about anything else, I love track riding because it clears my brain, I completely concentrate on riding and don't think about the other shite in life
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:37 am
Horse wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:26 am
"There's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer" was one of my Mum's truth nuggets so I'm well prepared.
Bigyin wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:48 pm Dont overthink it and have a look through the previous threads on the forum for the last trackday
There's a few ex racers on here and we'll take care of you.