Wanna go fast on track, buy a Panigale

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Horse

Re: Wanna go fast on track, buy a Panigale

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:01 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:50 pm The idea of ABS on a car isn't to reduce braking distance, but to allow the driver to still steer the car, rather than sliding into a deer (if I remember the 80's TV advert correctly).
The idea is to prevent lock up..."Anti Lock" Brake System.

You're quite right though, the major advantage is that you can turn and brake at the same time. If you're right on the verge of locking then adding any steering input will make you lock. A good driver will ease off the brake as they turn - which is exactly what racers do - but if you're suddenly surprised by a deer then you might not think so clearly.

Cars can generally stop ALOT harder than you think they can.

I would bet the intent behind bikes is the same.
*Fun fact* 'ABS' stands for Anti Blockier System' :)

AFAIK, the main benefits of bike ABS are:
- help maintain stability
- help riders brake on unpredictable surfaces

But the same applies to bikes that, subject to surface / grip, most riders don't brake to the levels possible.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

When I took my Africa twin on a Trackday I was outbraking loads of bikes and the abs wasn’t cutting in, if folk can’t stop a bike quickly in a controlled environment like that what do they do on the road and in an emergency ? Anyone who has abs should try and emergency stop from 80mph, it’s impressive how fast the bike stops and is good practice. Shouldn’t wait till you need it to actually be the first time you use it. I wouldn’t like to try and out brake an abs bike in an emergency
Horse

Post by Horse »

Couchy wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:25 pm Anyone who has abs should try and emergency stop from 80mph, it’s impressive how fast the bike stops and is good practice.
Dutch motorcycle trainers get riders to go off tarmac onto grass to get the feel - and trust - off the ABS.

I've never done that, only forced riders to get it working at the back wheel, on a good surface (usually block paving), so they knew what it feels like. Interestingly, it usually took far more effort than riders expected.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When I was far braver (i.e. younger and more foolish) I would deliberately provoke front wheel locks just so I could get the feel of it.

I'm kinda glad I first did that when I was 17. :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:59 pm When I was far braver (i.e. younger and more foolish) I would deliberately provoke front wheel locks just so I could get the feel of it.

Hopp Rider Training ran sessions at Castle Combe which included deliberately provoking front wheel lock-ups. To demonstrate the difference between 'grab' and 'handshake' squeeze, also to show how hard it is possible to brake. NB track, so grippy surface.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:13 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:59 pm When I was far braver (i.e. younger and more foolish) I would deliberately provoke front wheel locks just so I could get the feel of it.

Hopp Rider Training ran sessions at Castle Combe which included deliberately provoking front wheel lock-ups. To demonstrate the difference between 'grab' and 'handshake' squeeze, also to show how hard it is possible to brake. NB track, so grippy surface.
First time I did it I deliberately yanked the lever - I actually did it on my test too! I didn't get marked down 'cause it was absolutely pissing it down and because I saved it.

I don't think I'd be brave enough to intentionally do it fully loaded up any more.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

What about wheelies ?,.....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Never tried. Honest.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:44 pm Never tried. Honest.
Easier than the stoppies you were trying to do :P
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:51 pm
I stopped doing 'em after x smashing my nads into the tank on my CB1. :D

Couchy is referring to an 'incident' involving me, someone's (can't remember who) Husky (I think) and wheeling...err...too far :D I blame Couchy, he's the one who attempted to teach me how to do it.

That was in 2003! This place has been going forever hasn't it.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:22 am
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 8:51 pm
I stopped doing 'em after x smashing my nads into the tank on my CB1. :D

Couchy is referring to an 'incident' involving me, someone's (can't remember who) Husky (I think) and wheeling...err...too far :D I blame Couchy, he's the one who attempted to teach me how to do it.

That was in 2003! This place has been going forever hasn't it.
Trying to remember who’s bike it was, but for those that don’t know we used to meet up on supermotos for stunts on an old airfield. Mr dazzle came to watch. Now these were proper motos that you could wheelie in any gear if talented enough, if not talented they would flip easily in 1st 3 gears.....enter mr dazzle and someone leant him a bike, off he went and it looked like 2nd gear when he gave it a big handful and pulled the bars.....it looped straight over 🤣. No harm but pride 🤣
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

To be fair, Couchy did try and show me how on the little bike he had the time...some sorta 300cc thing he had a matching pair of.

Couldn't wheelie that, so I was dispatched on something a bit 'easier'.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Reminds me of the time my mate Stu was thinking of doing his bike test, he'd never ridden a bike.

I took him to a quiet back lane (it actually ran parallel to the runway at Doncaster) and offered him a go on my KDX220R, the only bike I had that would happily survive a crash.

He got about 30 seconds of training on where the clutch was and throttle.

I had to pull him and the bike out of a bush.

He dropped the clutch.. on a competition twos-stroke enduro. I was laughing my tits off.
Horse

Post by Horse »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:05 pm Reminds me of the time my mate Stu was thinking of doing his bike test, he'd never ridden a bike.

He got about 30 seconds of training on where the clutch was and throttle.

I had to pull him and the bike out of a bush.

He dropped the clutch.. on a competition twos-stroke enduro.
Classic rookie mistake (albeit sounding deliberate in this case). Teach 'how to stop' before 'how to go'.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Horse wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 10:11 pm Classic rookie mistake (albeit sounding deliberate in this case). Teach 'how to stop' before 'how to go'.
The front brake wouldn't have done him any good :)

I didn't set him up to fall, It had been that long since I was a novice I'd forgotten how difficult bikes are to ride, especially when they're not that user friendly.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Couchy wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:26 pm
Trying to remember who’s bike it was, but for those that don’t know we used to meet up on supermotos for stunts on an old airfield. Mr dazzle came to watch. Now these were proper motos that you could wheelie in any gear if talented enough, if not talented they would flip easily in 1st 3 gears.....enter mr dazzle and someone leant him a bike, off he went and it looked like 2nd gear when he gave it a big handful and pulled the bars.....it looped straight over 🤣. No harm but pride 🤣
I've just remembered something else about this...and just to add slightly to my humiliation in this story.

This all happened in the spring of 2003 when I was 18 and living in halls during my first year of Uni in Loughborough. My Mum and Dad were both active members of VD at the time too and the three of us had been on loads of VD ride outs with the Southern crowd (Viffer, Big Daddy, Riceburner, Futter and Jimbo all spring to mind), but that day was the first time I'd met a lot of the Midlands bunch IRL.

After my little off Adamski started a thread on VD with the blunt title of "Mr. Dazzle flipped a bike today!". My Mum didn't even read the contents I don't think, she rang me straight away and went fucking spare on the phone :D Things like "am I going to learn about your death on Visordown?!" and "we're going to come and get your motorbike off you".

Clearly I talked her down, but I don't remember how.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:45 pm
Couchy wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:26 pm
I've just remembered something else about this...and just to add slightly to my humiliation in this story.

This all happened in the spring of 2003 when I was 18 and living in halls during my first year of Uni in Loughborough. My Mum and Dad were both active members of VD at the time too and the three of us had been on loads of VD ride outs with the Southern crowd (Viffer, Big Daddy, Riceburner, Futter and Jimbo all spring to mind), but that day was the first time I'd met a lot of the Midlands bunch IRL.

After my little off Adamski started a thread on VD with the blunt title of "Mr. Dazzle flipped a bike today!". My Mum didn't even read the contents I don't think, she rang me straight away and went fucking spare on the phone :D Things like "am I going to learn about your death on Visordown?!" and "we're going to come and get your motorbike off you".

Clearly I talked her down, but I don't remember how.
A Facebook Old VD Group was set up last night. 105 members already. Including Futter, Jimbo and Mrs Weeksy.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Why aren't they here? :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:02 pm Why aren't they here? :D
Some we don't want here :banana-dance:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:45 pm My Mum and Dad were both active members of VD
Who were your mum and dad on vd?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955