The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: The Official Pleasing Purchase Thread

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:56 am A water softener- yeah yeah I know a bit dull, but it’s simply wonderful showering/bathing in soft water. After two days my skin feels better already [/mumsnet]
Well....consider me thoroughly influenced; Had a man out today to quote for fitting a water softener :D We're about to get two new bathrooms fitted so it seemed like logical thing to do first.

Under the counter softener, fancy '3 handles' tap which can do hard or soft and associated gubbins incoming.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:44 pm
Wreckless Rat wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:56 am A water softener- yeah yeah I know a bit dull, but it’s simply wonderful showering/bathing in soft water. After two days my skin feels better already [/mumsnet]
Well....consider me thoroughly influenced; Had a man out today to quote for fitting a water softener :D We're about to get two new bathrooms fitted so it seemed like logical thing to do first.

Under the counter softener, fancy '3 handles' tap which can do hard or soft and associated gubbins incoming.
Buy shares in a salt mine... :think:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

How much do you get through? I suppose you can't tell yet :D

Dude reckons about 25kg a quarter for a family of three. The softener he's proposing is online and tells you how much water you've got through and how much salt it's used. He showed me averaged data for people in our area to support that 25kg claim.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:00 pm How much do you get through? I suppose you can't tell yet :D

Dude reckons about 25kg a quarter for a family of three. The softener he's proposing is online and tells you how much water you've got through and how much salt it's used. He showed me averaged data for people in our area to support that 25kg claim.
We used 25kg in the first week.....although after testing the incoming water, the plumber had set the softener way harder than it needed to be. People will say they use 25kg a month, roughly, my sister gets through a bag a week in a very similar hardness area.

So... i guess somewhere between 1 bag a week and 1 bag a month... lol
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

This:

To replace my GoPro that shit the bed.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:04 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:00 pm How much do you get through? I suppose you can't tell yet :D

We used 25kg in the first week.....although after testing the incoming water, the plumber had set the softener way harder than it needed to be. People will say they use 25kg a month, roughly, my sister gets through a bag a week in a very similar hardness area.

So... i guess somewhere between 1 bag a week and 1 bag a month... lol
The last bag (25kg) lasted 19 days - although the water here is harder than Iccy on an undercover mission!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Ordered a borescope from Amazon. Should be here Thursday. Been having a bit of a Amazon splurge lately (books, tools, clothes). All done now though.
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 1:57 pm Image2020-12-31_01-54-58 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
I quite like that, have I missed a thread or report on it?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

He sent it back 'cause it doesn't fit :D IIRC it's the second time he's done it with that lid.

I've got the exact same one, picked it up 20% off on Black Friday.

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:39 am He sent it back 'cause it doesn't fit :D IIRC it's the second time he's done it with that lid.

I've got the exact same one, picked it up 20% off on Black Friday.

Yup, first time was because i had the L and it was too small. This time was the XL as it hurt putting it on and removing it and i couldn't see any way around it.
I'm actually gutted about it as i'd bought it as a 50th birthday present to myself, i liked it SO much.... but if it doesn't work for me then it's pointless having the prettiest helmet i don't want to wear. So it went straight back.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

TbF ive not worn mine for more than a minute at a time yet.

Even if I gives me a headache I'll probably keep it though :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:24 am TbF ive not worn mine for more than a minute at a time yet.

I find most helmets take a while to wear in and stop being uncomfortable.
The Shark one with the darth vadar look (can't remember the name) crushed my temples to the point of pain after an hour, but now it's fine.
The Shoei Zero hurt as well after a couple of hours, but I've only ever worn it that one time.

The expensive carbon racing one that I can't remember the name of hurts like hell taking it on and off, but once on its really nice, very light and a great track helmet.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Harry wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:15 am The expensive carbon racing one that I can't remember the name of hurts like hell taking it on and off, but once on its really nice, very light and a great track helmet.
the Arai above was lovely once it was on... no issues there at all. It was just the taking it on/off that was the problem.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:24 am TbF ive not worn mine for more than a minute at a time yet.

Most wimmin give us a headache, but we keep them :)
David

Post by David »

Yorick wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 am

Most wimmin give us a headache, but we keep them :)
I have always thought it was more the case that they kept us....
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:21 am
Harry wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:15 am The expensive carbon racing one that I can't remember the name of hurts like hell taking it on and off, but once on its really nice, very light and a great track helmet.
the Arai above was lovely once it was on... no issues there at all. It was just the taking it on/off that was the problem.
Same with the carbon lid, and I can live with it once it's on I suppose.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I have exactly the same problem as weeksy putting that lid on, it's a tight squeeze on my temples putting it on. But I put it on once a ride so....

I know weeksy is very particular, whereas I'm well, not.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:21 am Ordered a borescope from Amazon. Should be here Thursday. Been having a bit of a Amazon splurge lately (books, tools, clothes). All done now though.
Well buggery bollocks, it turned up today (along with two pairs of Levi 501's for $33 each) & the bloody thing is defective. It works fine when the USB charger cord is plugged in, but won't turn on without external power via the cord.
Manual states red light means it's charging & blue light means it's fully charged, except all I get is a green light (which isn't even mentioned in the manual) & there's no red or blue lights to be found anywhere on the contraption.
Amazon is shipping a replacement due here Saturday. I did take the time to check out how well it works while plugged in by having a butchers at my teeth, the inside of one ear & up both nostrils.
It's supposed to reach full charge in 2.5 hours, but bugger all has happened so far, gonna leave it plugged in overnight in the futile hope it wakes up.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

YAY!!! Replacement borescope showed up this morning!! :clap:
However...This just goes from bad to worse. USB charging port is misaligned so I can't attach the charging cord to the device. So now I have TWO of them to return. :thumbdown:
On the upside this one actually works... :thumbup: well, it will until the battery runs out of juice. :thumbdown:
Had a quick think.... :!:

Eureka!!
Elongated the slot in the camera case just a smidge with my Dremel so USB port aligns with slot. :thumbup: Charging cord now fits & I have a red light to indicate charging.
:banana-wrench:
Confused myself for a moment when I plugged it in & didn't see a charging light. Then I noticed that silly bollocks here had one USB cord plugged into the boroscope & a different one plugged into the computer.. :oops:

Had a convo yesterday with a tech rep about the first one they sent & how I just had a green light instead of a red (charging) or blue (charged) light.
Rep says "They don't have green lights"
Took a pic of the green light & sent it to him "oh, that's odd"