Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by ZRX61 »

gremlin

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by gremlin »

Volvo gives up plan to sell only EVs by 2030

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c3ejye39434o
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Rolling blackouts here again, but Benito Newsolini hasn't told people to stop charging their EV's yet.

And this happened:
https://www.10news.com/news/local-news/ ... nk-storage

Apparently it could burn for up to 48 hours..
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

ZRX61 wrote: Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:08 am
Lots of modern cats are pretty much covered in cameras nowadays, it won't just be Teslas.
Little bit like police asking about home wifi modems so they can check for connections made in relation to murder cases and Ring doorbell footage.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When I set up the factory fit dash cam in my car I had to acknowledge a note which said (paraphrasing) "this thing records everything, it can be used against you as well". :obscene-birdiedoublered:

It takes 360° photos of its surroundings if you jiggle the car too.

Nothing to do with being an EV or not.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:22 pm When I set up the factory fit dash cam in my car I had to acknowledge a note which said (paraphrasing) "this thing records everything, it can be used against you as well". :obscene-birdiedoublered:

The cam mounts on the ZRX11 & ZX11 are located so not one part of the bike or rider is visible in the footage.
The F350 has three cams: Regular dash cam on the windshield by the mirror, another in the rear window connected to the first & a back up cam that comes on when I put it in reverse.
The Explorer ST has at least 4 cameras.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:43 pm The cam mounts on the ZRX11 & ZX11 are located so not one part of the bike or rider is visible in the footage.
If the worst happened and you were involved in a big accident...someone else died, the police seized your bike at the scene etc.

Do you really think your face not being visible on the cam footage would save you?

Mr car on the other hand would totally narc on me :lol:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:58 pm If the worst happened and you were involved in a big accident...someone else died, the police seized your bike at the scene etc.

Do you really think your face not being visible on the cam footage would save you?

Mr car on the other hand would totally narc on me :lol:
It's more about being able to post videos online without waiting a year so I don't get my collar felt. Luckily the bike cam doesn't have a velocity read out, but the F350 from cam does.... which has lead me to trying to set the high score (98mph so far)
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Various reports in the last 12 months have suggested the write-off rate for EVs is exceptionally high due to unaffordable repair costs. However, Cap Hpi says petrol and diesel cars are written off at over double the rate of EVs, based on figures for the last decade.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/ele ... -cars.html
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

ZRX61 wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 5:43 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:22 pm When I set up the factory fit dash cam in my car I had to acknowledge a note which said (paraphrasing) "this thing records everything, it can be used against you as well". :obscene-birdiedoublered:

The cam mounts on the ZRX11 & ZX11 are located so not one part of the bike or rider is visible in the footage.
The F350 has three cams: Regular dash cam on the windshield by the mirror, another in the rear window connected to the first & a back up cam that comes on when I put it in reverse.
The Explorer ST has at least 4 cameras.
If the SS (Starmers Stasi) pull you for suspicion of road based naughtiness and see you have a camera they will confiscate it to review the footage so the can nick you for anything else as well as what they stopped you for. Also most of our regional forces have a "grassline" where you can submit your own camera evidence for the SS to nick you. When I did a drivers awareness course (Damn that Ducati :D ) the host said Plod prosecute more people through public submitted camera clips than their own! :wtf:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

That's not hugely surprising, the public have loads more cameras in loads more places than plod do now.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:54 am That's not hugely surprising, the public have loads more cameras in loads more places than plod do now.
I've never seen the clips or know exactly what people have been nicked for, but with a public camera they aren't calibrated , which is qualified when you get nicked by plod for speeding.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Pirahna wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:29 am Various reports in the last 12 months have suggested the write-off rate for EVs is exceptionally high due to unaffordable repair costs. However, Cap Hpi says petrol and diesel cars are written off at over double the rate of EVs, based on figures for the last decade.

https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/ele ... -cars.html
Considering the average value of diesel and petrol cars will much lower than EVs then both statements could be true, this looks like someone is misusing statistics.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Taipan wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:44 am
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 10:54 am That's not hugely surprising, the public have loads more cameras in loads more places than plod do now.
I've never seen the clips or know exactly what people have been nicked for, but with a public camera they aren't calibrated , which is qualified when you get nicked by plod for speeding.
I wouldn't be so sure.

The factory one in my car for example includes the speed and location at the bottom, taken from the cars own systems.

The speedo in particular has pretty stringent requirements (both by law and by the OEMs own internal rules) so i wouldn't like to rely on a "his speedo ain't calibrated" argument.

Besides, if your vid shows 150mph a small calibration error is probably irrelevant :lol:

You also don't need speed to nick someone for driving in a bus lane, crossing lines etc etc. of course.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Taipan wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 11:44 am
If you mean 'calibrated for speed', that's not a problem. Helpfully, white line markings are installed to defined sizes and intervals. So distance can be identified. They ask for original recordings, so frame rate will be known. Therefore, distance and time give speed.

If the dashcam even more helpfully gives gps and timestamp, then the noose tightens ...

However, recordings submitted are more probably more likely to be for the standard of driving rather than speed.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Good point on time...GPSs derived time is extremely accurate, down to the nanosecond, so if you have that on the vid you're held by the short and curlys.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:09 pm Good point on time...GPSs derived time is extremely accurate, down to the nanosecond, so if you have that on the vid you're held by the short and curlys.
But dashcam GPS location may not be so accurate!

I was chatting to an accident investigator a few years ago, as dashcams were becoming much more common.

They'd had one instance of a car moving across a road, post-crash.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Well they know the location by knowing the time, that's how they work.

They're typically down to about +/-3m in consumer GPS though right, so it's not surprising they'd still drift around a bit even when stopped.
Horse

Post by Horse »

For a work trial, I had 3 GPS loggers together.

Marked the positions of several items. Two gave the same position, the third was way out.

Luckily, it wasn't a key element of the trial!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:17 pm As a market indicator, revcomps have started raffling EVs again. The last tesla and taycan sold out, whereas in recent times they've been massively undersold. By way of contrast, I was talking to my motor trader neighbour yesterday and asked him if he had started selling EVs yet? He said no, they are to the second hand market what Ladas were in the early 80s! :lol:
I was genuinely going to buy an EV recently, it was a Porsche Taycan Turbo, I went to look at it, test drove it and I was happy with the price, it was an £180k car, about a year old and selling for £65k, absolute bargain, I was 99% going ahead with it, but as I said on another thread I ended up buying another petrol Porsche that was in the showroom and not yet advertised, but it turned out to be a car that I really wanted and so I did a deal on that and not the EV.

But the point I'd like to make is the same point I heard Joe Rogan and Chris Harris make on a recent podcast - EVs are for rich people. They're expensive and completely useless for the large percentage of people that need a car and run on bangernomics theory i.e. cheap old cars that they can buy for a couple of grand maximum and run them into the ground for a few years and then buy another.

The people championing them fall into two categories, rich and can afford them, or poor and politically motivated, the latter are very unlikely to be able to afford one, but their political persuasions mean that they'll tell you why you should.
Strange bedfellows.