Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
mangocrazy

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by mangocrazy »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 12:50 pm I was genuinely going to buy an EV recently, it was a Porsche Taycan Turbo, I went to look at it, test drove it and I was happy with the price, it was an £180k car, about a year old and selling for £65k, absolute bargain
So it had lost nearly two thirds of its original value in about a year? You really do need to be rich to afford depreciation like that. It's insane. I know that's an extreme example on a high-end model, but it illustrates why EVs aren't selling in the volume the govt would like.

As an aside, I was chatting to a Sheffield taxi driver recently and Sheffield City Council have mandated that all cabs in the city must be EVs within 3 years. That is just all sorts of wrong. Taxi fares will be going through the roof if SCC don't back down on that proposal.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:20 pm As an aside, I was chatting to a Sheffield taxi driver recently and Sheffield City Council have mandated that all cabs in the city must be EVs within 3 years. That is just all sorts of wrong. Taxi fares will be going through the roof if SCC don't back down on that proposal.
Wonder what his source is, other than someone he had in the back of his cab (you won't believe who!).

It sounds like BS to me, indeed I can't find anything about such a rule after a quick Google.

I can more believe some kind of ULEZ has been misquoted.
Potter

Post by Potter »

mangocrazy wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:20 pm
So it had lost nearly two thirds of its original value in about a year? You really do need to be rich to afford depreciation like that. It's insane. I know that's an extreme example on a high-end model, but it illustrates why EVs aren't selling in the volume the govt would like.
The Taycans are a peculiar example, they are actually good cars, but Porsche were struggling to sell them, so they started punting them as part of a deal to people who wanted a GT3 RS, which at the time you could buy for £150k and sell the next day for £250k IF you could get an allocation.
So they would say to people "Buy three Taycans and we'll give you an allocation for an RS" - this isn't BS, people were filming them in secret doing it.

So the people that did that then dumped the Taycans onto the market cheaply, which damaged an already falling price on the Taycan EV.

On top of that you've got people that were buying them as tax write-offs or company car deals, who also wanted Porsche favours, and then dumping them.

The Taycan I tried was genuinely stupendously good, the tech inside it was incredible and it was as fast and as good handling as any supercar, but the residuals are shocking. You can pick up a £150k Taycan for about £40k as a one year old used car.
Hence why I wanted one, but as I said my dream Porsche was sitting there right behind it and I flipped straight to buying that.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Taipan wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:35 am If the SS (Starmers Stasi) pull you for suspicion of road based naughtiness and see you have a camera they will confiscate it to review the footage so the can nick you for anything else as well as what they stopped you for.
Cops need a search warrant here to even view the footage. There's also a 1 year statute of limitations.. so make sure your camera time stamp is a year off :)
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:52 pm Taycan
You've not been watching Shmee by any chance?

v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

One of neighbours has a Taycan, I really like it but I'd rather the estate one (shooting brake?)

Wife's accountant has just purchased a new Lotus Eletre - it 'kin ugly and also it's pink!
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:29 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 1:20 pm As an aside, I was chatting to a Sheffield taxi driver recently and Sheffield City Council have mandated that all cabs in the city must be EVs within 3 years. That is just all sorts of wrong. Taxi fares will be going through the roof if SCC don't back down on that proposal.
Wonder what his source is, other than someone he had in the back of his cab (you won't believe who!).

It sounds like BS to me, indeed I can't find anything about such a rule after a quick Google.

I can more believe some kind of ULEZ has been misquoted.
We have a recently introduced CAZ and that has already lead to the closure of the Wickes that is unfortunate to be in the CAZ. Sheffield CC are notoriously car-hostile, although probably not quite as bad as they were a few years ago. I can only state what the cabbie told me, and he did seem to be fairly clued up. The guy was driving a Prius (don't they all?) and he will need to trade it in for something newer next year as it turns 10 years old then, and no cabs over 10 years old can have their licence renewed.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

v8-powered wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2024 7:06 pm Wife's accountant has just purchased a new Lotus Eletre - it 'kin ugly and also it's pink!
Double whammy of being fugly and also actually quite crap at range/efficiency if the reviews are correct.

It'll sell well in the home market. China :lol: