What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yambo

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Yambo »

We've had our site AGM this evening. It was as usual a bun fight and although I avoided getting elected as manager again I have volunteered to be the new manager's assistant.

I was manager for 6 years, sorted out a lot of legal issues, got all owners paying their site fees on time and developed a good working relationship with the maintenance company. A lot of that has gone silly over the past 2 years since I 'retired' and I certainly didn't want the hassle of being responsible for sorting it our again, but assisting the new manager? I think I can do that OK without destroying my life. :lol:

The new manager is Turkish, which is only right and proper but we have already fallen out. Sort of. I maintained he should be paid as he's not a property owner (he lives here all year in his mother's house) and he says categorically that he doesn't want to be paid. I still think he should. We'll be sitting down over the next few days to do a budget and I'll have tweaked the spreadsheet so he (or his mother) won't have to pay the site fees. I'm pretty sure that all other owners will back me up on this. The ones I spoken too think it's a good plan (and legal :thumbup: )
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Washed the Ovlov. Had it over a year and its only its 3rd clean :clap:
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

v8-powered wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:28 pm Washed the Ovlov. Had it over a year and its only its 3rd clean :clap:
3 washes in one year.... man... I count my washes how any years between washes. :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I get bemused my people spend money on things then seem proud they neglect it
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:42 pm I get bemused my people spend money on things then seem proud they neglect it
Letting it rust and rot is neglect. Not washing is just delaying removing the dirt.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

weeksy wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:42 pm I get bemused my people spend money on things then seem proud they neglect it
Not neglected at all - its a car for my wife to use for work, its serving a purpose just like a tool. If neglected it wouldn't be maintained etc....
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

It's a land rover, it's MEANT to be dirty.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 6:59 pm
It's a land rover, it's MEANT to be dirty.
Wasn't spray on mud once a thing?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Bought my Son a iPad. He asked me about one and are they any good etc. He's 26 now and probably with more disposable income than me lol ,so i don't really buy him prezzies anymore, but I smashed it out of the park with this one, even though he doesn't get why! ;)
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Took the bike to Canterbury Cathedral, free parking and quicker by far than the trains.Had a great day there and then a quick ride home. i'm getting to enjoy this bike rather more than I expected.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I have a mate just like that. His take on the matter is,"I'm not keeping it good for the next owner".

He's pretty good to his word. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Potter

Post by Potter »

Went sailing.
Tiller came off in my hand, which made it fun trying to get back in single handed in good wind with the main and foresail up.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Probably the biggest cause of marriage break ups and divorce.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Fitted a fridge freezer. Second one in just over a week as I eventually got the other one uplifted.

Not really impressed by the new one.

It’s a Bosch. Fancy folding shelves that are going to be difficult to clean as a fix for a problem that doesn’t really exist. Cheap crappy covers for the fixing mounts that don’t stay clipped on. Single salad drawer that’s difficult to remove if like mine it’s installed against a wall.

It came with fixed doors (which to be fair I knew about) that are more complicated to fit and of no benefit that I can see.

Anyway the wife’s happy so that’s all that matters.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Harry wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:40 am Went sailing.
Tiller came off in my hand, which made it fun trying to get back in single handed in good wind with the main and foresail up.

Small Boat?

<Oldsaltmode> Two means of propulsion Harry, two means of propulsion! :thumbup: </oldsaltmode>
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yambo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:57 am
Harry wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:40 am Went sailing.

Small Boat?

<Oldsaltmode> Two means of propulsion Harry, two means of propulsion! :thumbup: </oldsaltmode>
The means of propulsion was no problem. Steering was the issue. I only had a stub of tiller that I couldn’t reach if I was also attending to the sails.

It’s an RS Feva, so rowing isn’t really an option - although I do always have a collapsible paddleboard oar in the boat just in case it’s completely gone to shit.

I pulled the dagger board and let the wind push me in broadside.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Harry wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:07 am I pulled the dagger board and let the wind push me in broadside.
I mean it looks like English but..... :think:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

When I was a teenager sailing every week with the local club I'm pretty sure we did exercises about what to do when you have no rudder.

Buggered if I can remember what you do! :D

You can also go faster without the rudder, so there is some merit in the exercise.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 7:35 am I mean it looks like English but..... :think:

The dagger board is basically a plank of wood (or whatever) placed centrally in the boat that can be lowered into the water like a fin keel. The resistance it provides prevents the boat being pushed sideways by the wind and so the boat goes forwards instead. It's also very useful in getting the boat upright after a capsize (according to a friend ;) ) It can be raised for shallow water and getting onto the beach or when sailing downwind where sideways movement isn't an issue.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yambo wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:25 am also very useful in getting the boat upright after a capsize (according to a friend ;) )
15 year old kids love a capsize. We used to do em back to back to back :D