What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Silly Car

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Silly Car »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:16 pm Turned down a new job, as the package wasn't good enough.

Made a counter offer which they refused, so that's the end of that. Thank god two of the three interviews were on Teams (while working from home), or I'd be well pissed off at the waste of time.

Why advertise it at one level then offer substantially lower.
I had that a few years ago, via a recruiter.

Had initial chat with senior and retiring member of the team outlining my position exactly, discussed role, salary, benefits, etc. My understanding was the role was his role plus heading up a new team in my region.

Had to take a day off at short notice for n ext stage at their offices 2 hours away, interviewer had delegated to his 2IC which is fair enough as it was a 3 stage process anyway. I managed to piss off 2IC by arriving before her (so she was all flustered), daring to park in HER parking space (nothing other than company parking only designation) and being interviewed for her equivalent role (which meant her empire would be split).

I called it a day after 20 mins of inane, repetitive questions which were leading down the cul de sac of a junior role. The final straw was when it came to salary expectation which was 1/2 what I was on. I stopped her in her tracks, said it was clear one of us was on the wrong page and could she shift her car so I could leave.

I think the recruiter was more pissed off than me and I understand the company is in all shades of trouble at the moment, not least having the regulator breathing down its neck.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:16 pm Turned down a new job, as the package wasn't good enough.

Made a counter offer which they refused, so that's the end of that. Thank god two of the three interviews were on Teams (while working from home), or I'd be well pissed off at the waste of time.

Why advertise it at one level then offer substantially lower.
What a fun day.
Them: Here's a great offer, only £8k less than the advertised price.
Me: Thanks but no thanks
Them: But we're going to pay for all your certifications
Me: Thanks, but no thanks
Them: but we're giving you a car allowance, you should include that in your valuation of the role.
Me: the take home from the car allowance is £240, that's not enough to buy a car of the right age/type to meet the allowance criteria
Them: Maybe we'll let you use the car you have (that doesn't meet the allowance criteria) and keep the allowance.
Me: Nah.
Them: We'll give you a fuel card and you can use it for personal mileage
Me: I want another £3k on the salary and I'll think about it... in fact, no, I'm done.

Essentially I'd be moving for a £2k wage increase rather than an extra £10k as first advertised, if it had been advertised at that salary I wouldn't have applied.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:24 pm Essentially I'd be moving for a £2k wage increase rather than an extra £10k as first advertised, if it had been advertised at that salary I wouldn't have applied.
Possibly not their fault, no doubt double glazing sales are likely down.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:36 pm Possibly not their fault, no doubt double glazing sales are likely down.
Close, technical consultant building HPE Simplivity solutions.

To be fair, even after I told them that HCI was dead and the cloud was the future they still wanted me!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I got a nice cushy job at McAfee with a £10k rise from Travelex :)

A week later the agency rang to say there's been a mix up with the salary :(

It was gonna be upped by £5k

woohoo!
cheb

Post by cheb »

Wreckless Rat wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:06 pm
cheb wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:50 pm Stripped and degreased a small bench drill. The parts are drying in the oven while I have a cup of tea.
Should have washed them in the dishwasher (make sure the missus is out - dont ask me how I know this) :hmmm:
Don't have a dishwasher, not an electric one anyway. I've considered getting one for the shed if I can find one cheap enough, i.e. free.
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

cheb wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:43 pm Don't have a dishwasher, not an electric one anyway. I've considered getting one for the shed if I can find one cheap enough, i.e. free.
:lol: :lol:
cheb

Post by cheb »

I'm confident that the dump will provide.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:37 pm
ZRX61 wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:29 pm Got up at FOUR FUCKING AM to drive to LAX.... :wtf: :shock:
What used to take 2 hours now takes all day, it took me 15 hours just to get to LA.
Garage door closed at home to drop off 74 miles away was 61 minutes :)
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Went down to a pal's bar to watch the footy.
It's a small bar inside but big outside. And he's sort of acquired the terrace from the shop next door. So more tables
He's bought a big telly for the outside.

The game was shit so I started a Mexican wave. Then the games began :mrgreen:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

A few weeks back the shift lever in my shitbox Accord had a *SPROING!!* moment & tossed the button. It left enough behind that I could still shift. Last week a bit more of it departed so I was sticking my thumb in the hole to release the lock.
Today I finally decided to just buy the parts to fix it. $14 & change.
The new one was two pieces, what was left of the old one was 4 pieces (plus the 3 or 4 that had already departed)
Now I have a spiffy plastic/chrome button again.
Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Spoke to my landlord for the first time in about 7 years, and shot a big bastard rat
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Image2020-09-10_10-54-01 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

Cycle to cafe for cake. It's easier than you think 1 handed
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

weeksy wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:57 am
Cycle to cafe for cake. It's easier than you think 1 handed
Knocking one out whilst peddling a push bike?! Impressive, ya clever tosser. :thumbup:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Falcoholic

Post by Falcoholic »

The Mrs went to work at 7 this morning so I thought I would just have another "half hour".

Woke up at 9.50 with a mate banging on the door looking for a set of keys to the building we're renovating, 10 minutes before a Zoom design team meeting.

I managed both but lying on too long has knocked me out of sync a bit so now I'm struggling to focus on the work tasks in hand for the day.

Maybe another coffee will do it
Skub

Post by Skub »

Tried to explain to several nurses that the rambling,incoherent old fella they are treating is not how he ever is/was.

I tell them my Dad is as sharp as a tack at 92 and the fact he is lying talking bollocks is a fair indicator that something is wrong,usually an infection of some sort or another. I get palmed off time after time about how old folk get confused in hospitals and it's nothing to worry about.

I explain he's been in hospital since July 13th and hasn't been confused up until now. Has he had blood tests to rule out an infection? Yes he has apparently and no infection detected.

The 4th person I ask,a junior doctor,informs me that he has a chest infection and has started a course of antibiotics....

I know it's a popular notion to be seen clapping the frontline NHS workers for the great job they are doing,but for the above and many other reasons I'll not bore you with here,I'm finding the NHS to be as disjointed and incoherent as my old Da. Mismanaged,inefficient and the best we can hope for is we never need them. If you do,take notes and names. I am.

Sorry for the boring offload,but I'm coming close to the edge of my limits.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Skub wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:58 pm Tried to explain to several nurses that the rambling,incoherent old fella they are treating is not how he ever is/was.

I tell them my Dad is as sharp as a tack at 92 and the fact he is lying talking bollocks is a fair indicator that something is wrong,usually an infection of some sort or another. I get palmed off time after time about how old folk get confused in hospitals and it's nothing to worry about.

I explain he's been in hospital since July 13th and hasn't been confused up until now. Has he had blood tests to rule out an infection? Yes he has apparently and no infection detected.

The 4th person I ask,a junior doctor,informs me that he has a chest infection and has started a course of antibiotics....

I know it's a popular notion to be seen clapping the frontline NHS workers for the great job they are doing,but for the above and many other reasons I'll not bore you with here,I'm finding the NHS to be as disjointed and incoherent as my old Da. Mismanaged,inefficient and the best we can hope for is we never need them. If you do,take notes and names. I am.

Sorry for the boring offload,but I'm coming close to the edge of my limits.
That sounds exactly like the issues our dear old neighbour had when he developed sepsis, My Mrs has to work very hard at getting sensible info out of the NHS and really struggled trying to make sure he was looked after properly. I hope your father has a speedy recovery.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Wreckless Rat

Post by Wreckless Rat »

Just eaten a yummy fresh brown crab.... beats lobster any day of the week, and twice on Friday... ;)
hawker

Post by hawker »

Today, I have waited or a phone call from the hospital for them to decide whether my broken left forearm is likely to be okay just in its cast or else better to have a plate put in? They had a group discussion abut it and opted to go for surgery, hopefully tomorrow if a bed is free? They are not hanging about so I have had to quickly prepare a go-bag for hospital even if, as they expect I'll be home again the same day! Having seen orthopaedic surgery [though in animals] that is an impressive turnaround! Although I am immunocompromised by some other therapy I am not worried about the surgery itself, except for the risk of infection, but most concerned about the disruption of my training programme for next year's time-trial season! But I can't ride, never mind race, until it is fixed so surgery t has to be. o doubt I can be reporting back later after the op is done!
Cheers all until then...! :thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

hawker wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:17 pm Today, I have waited or a phone call from the hospital for them to decide whether my broken left forearm is likely to be okay just in its cast or else better to have a plate put in? They had a group discussion abut it and opted to go for surgery, hopefully tomorrow if a bed is free? They are not hanging about so I have had to quickly prepare a go-bag for hospital even if, as they expect I'll be home again the same day! Having seen orthopaedic surgery [though in animals] that is an impressive turnaround! Although I am immunocompromised by some other therapy I am not worried about the surgery itself, except for the risk of infection, but most concerned about the disruption of my training programme for next year's time-trial season! But I can't ride, never mind race, until it is fixed so surgery t has to be. o doubt I can be reporting back later after the op is done!
Cheers all until then...! :thumbup:
Best wishes hawker,you deserve a break man,just not the sort you got!
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955