Depression

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Wscad

Re: Depression

Post by Wscad »

The teacher said the teen needs assessing for autism by a professional. Wife mention this to teens father and says “ nothing wrong with my daughter “
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Wscad wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:15 am The teacher said the teen needs assessing for autism by a professional. Wife mention this to teens father and says “ nothing wrong with my daughter “
Seems to me that you and your wife know said teen better than her father does.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Wscad wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 11:15 am The teacher said the teen needs assessing for autism by a professional. Wife mention this to teens father and says “ nothing wrong with my daughter “
Tell father his daughter needs a security guard to follow her, then hire an autism nurse.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

FFS. People are so worried of judgement and difference that they forget the human being involved :( :(

It could be a combination of things showing up as similar symptoms. And autism isn't the horrendous label it used to be

Don't suppose I should say this, but can the father be bypassed and the school talked to??

She might just be lonely and depressed - I went to a boarding school (as a day pupil) and it seemed then to be a challenging life for some. Of at school and barely seeing parents. You guys are family, but she will miss her parents I'd guess :(

Doesn't make it any easier for you or her xxx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

I'd say you're absolutely right. Happiness does not come from material stuff, having a big house, loads of spare cash to buy whatever nonsense you want. People might say it helps, or that they couldn't do a certain lifestyle without it, but when you strip it back the happiness isn't about that at all. Depression effects everyone, from millionaires to the working man.
[/quote]

Happiness doesn't come from material stuff (although it helps having a nice house where the sun shines every morning).

Happiness comes from feeling like you're getting somewhere, call it satisfaction, call it success, whatever, but if you feel like you're making a bit of progress in whatever you set yourself to, then you're going to feel fulfilled to whatever degree. If you go to bed every night feeling like you've wasted your time even getting out of bed that morning, then it has the opposite effect.

These comments have reminded me of the value in Maslows hierarchy of needs.

In an easy to remember format: To live, to love, to learn, to leave a legacy.

Live: we need a safe place to shelter and food to eat.
Love: we are social animals that need to give and receive love
Learn:to acquire skills, improve knowledge and grow as a person
Leave a legacy: you have contributed and have left your mark. Your life had meaning.

If you look at others and of course, yourself, it's interesting to assess how each level is or has been achieved or perhaps exceeded. It can explain why we feel the way we do.

Well, at any rate, I find this and similar theories or models of interest and use.
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Watching autumn watch this evening. Sitting outside and listening,watching birds will improve your well being and mental health. This weekends project is to throw some sand down in the greenhouse, deckchair inside and hankie with a knot in each corner on me head.

I’ll let you know how it goes. 😎
Scud

Post by Scud »

Wscad wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 8:57 pm Watching autumn watch this evening. Sitting outside and listening,watching birds will improve your well being and mental health. This weekends project is to throw some sand down in the greenhouse, deckchair inside and hankie with a knot in each corner on me head.

I’ll let you know how it goes. 😎
It’ll be better than watching a teenager skulk about making a mess
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Are ya getting any exercise? That sometimes helps as it gives ya mind something else to focus on.. & has the added bonus of making ya fitter & more confident... which might lead to getting yer dick wet more often.
I'm paraphrasing what my extremely cute PTSD counselor said.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Caught a bit of what some Doctor was saying on the TV the other day. She was saying that anxiety is fear of the future and can often be helped by focusing on the present and not the future. Things like fidget toys and rubik cubes etc can refocus the mind for temporary relief. If she was good enough to be on the tv talking about it, I assume she must have some merit?
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:44 am ..................... If she was good enough to be on the tv talking about it, I assume she must have some merit?
Depends. Was she fit? If she was she could be talking a load of bollocks and she would still get air time.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:44 am . If she was good enough to be on the tv talking about it, I assume she must have some merit?
I wouldn't rely on the telly - salient academic medical advice does not make great ratings. There's a certain amount you can get from the internet, if you read between the lines. GPs (especially the younger ones. Note - they're nearly ALL younger ones now somehow ;) ) seem less arsey these days about folk bringing in considered Google diagnosis and remedy. My own GP Googles things quite openly in front of me. :D
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:55 am
Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:44 am ..................... If she was good enough to be on the tv talking about it, I assume she must have some merit?
Depends. Was she fit? If she was she could be talking a load of bollocks and she would still get air time.
If she was, she wasn't to a memorable amount! Oh, and I was being facetious about being on tv, although I did kinda get her point...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Taipan wrote: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:44 am Caught a bit of what some Doctor was saying on the TV the other day. She was saying that anxiety is fear of the future and can often be helped by focusing on the present and not the future.
That makes sense to a degree, but being able to look up and dodge future issues seems to be a better plan than only concentrating on what's right in front of you and not even seeing future issues coming.

I think only two real problems exist in the world

1) Health issues (you and family) - and you really need to consider the future there, make changes now so that you don't die early from an illness that you could avoid in the future.
2) Food/shelter issues (you and family) - unnecessarily worrying about the future is not going to help, but thinking about the future is certainly going to help, good financial advice, good pension advice, budget planning, career advice, etc.

Get those two sorted as best you can, then that's necessity dealt with, the rest is dependant on desires/wishes rather than necessity.

It's a balance though, I spend time making preparations for when I'm an old age pensioner, I think it's time well spent, I'm certainly very glad that ten years ago I considered and made plans for where I might be today.
So you need to worry a bit and consider the future, but don't drive yourself crackers with it.
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

Spent 12 quid on mealworm and the robin is nowhere to be seen☹️
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Wscad wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:02 am Spent 12 quid on mealworm and the robin is nowhere to be seen☹️
If you put them in a fridge they go dormant and stay alive for weeks, just get a couple out and let them warm up when you want to use them.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mussels wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 4:36 pm
Wscad wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 10:02 am Spent 12 quid on mealworm and the robin is nowhere to be seen☹️
If you put them in a fridge they go dormant and stay alive for weeks, just get a couple out and let them warm up when you want to use them.
Just don't let the wife see them wriggling in the fridge!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Greenman may be onto something! All over various news sources recently is a positive looking trial of Psilocin (magic mushroom active ingredient) for treatment of depression that doesn't respond to other medical intervention.

Cool, man. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:01 am Greenman may be onto something! All over various news sources recently is a positive looking trial of Psilocin (magic mushroom active ingredient) for treatment of depression that doesn't respond to other medical intervention.

Of course i'm right, i'm always right...just not always at the right time...;)

There is a reason all of these so called harmful illegal drugs are made illegal in the first place, and it's nothing to do with health, it's all to do with money. It allows big pharma to create alternatives and sell them back to us!

It's been obvious for many decades, it's why i choose to medicate myself and avoid any horrible gov/big pharma produced drugs as much as i can.

When i get my really bad stints of sciatica, i reach for the hash oil, it's the only thing that helps. I do like a shroom too tbh, i grew liberty cap and hawaiians for a bit in my old gaff...:) not had any for years now though. I had some shroom concentrate in a dropper off my mate too but stopped buying that as i was raping it every firday night ad going a bit mental, one night i think i had 15 drops, my friend strictly said don't do more than 3 lol...i have a high tolerance for these things even though i don't do them that often!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Greenman wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:32 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 11:01 am Greenman may be onto something! All over various news sources recently is a positive looking trial of Psilocin (magic mushroom active ingredient) for treatment of depression that doesn't respond to other medical intervention.

Of course i'm right, i'm always right...just not always at the right time...;)

There is a reason all of these so called harmful illegal drugs are made illegal in the first place, and it's nothing to do with health, it's all to do with money. It allows big pharma to create alternatives and sell them back to us!

It's been obvious for many decades, it's why i choose to medicate myself and avoid any horrible gov/big pharma produced drugs as much as i can.

When i get my really bad stints of sciatica, i reach for the hash oil, it's the only thing that helps. I do like a shroom too tbh, i grew liberty cap and hawaiians for a bit in my old gaff...:) not had any for years now though. I had some shroom concentrate in a dropper off my mate too but stopped buying that as i was raping it every firday night ad going a bit mental, one night i think i had 15 drops, my friend strictly said don't do more than 3 lol...i have a high tolerance for these things even though i don't do them that often!
And you don't think that you depression might be because of the strength of the recreationals you take?