Scratched visor.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Scotsrich

Scratched visor.

Post by Scotsrich »

Is it possible to remove micro scratches from a visor?

I’ve got a dark Arai visor which I like and I’m willing to have a go before replacing it.
the_priest

Re: Scratched visor.

Post by the_priest »

A small dab of AutoSol may just smooth that out nicely. I've done that to remove scratches on a visor before, but remember it may also remove any coating that is on there as well...
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

I once cleaned off an iridium visor with Brasso and it was perfectly usable afterwards. Its probably the weakest abrasive out there.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

if it's scratched anyway, so the only other alternative is a new visor, you don't really have a lot to lose.

At least, because it's tinted, you won't be using it at night so at risk of worsening headlamp glare.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Taff

Post by Taff »

A plastic polishing kit will come with various grades of abrasives to polish out the scratches and can bring it up as good as new, provided you have the patience to do it.
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

I've got some plastic polish in the garage. Someone in the other place gave it to me, when I was moaning abut the boy scratching screens by throwing race bikes down the track. (Forgotten who it was, which is a bit unforgivable - thanks someone!) It does a bloody brilliant job on screens - I was amazed that a deeply scratched screen could be recovered with good optical properties, as well as cosmetics. I imagine it would work on a visor too.
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Cheers all.

I’ve got some pound shop version of tcut kicking about.

I’ll give that a go..
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

I tried that on an Arai dark visor before, and ended up taking off the dark coating but only in a specific area.

I'd order another first, then try to rescue this one as a spare because it probably won't be any good after.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I tried Solvol as suggested on my 100% MX goggles. They're now in the bin completely wrecked :mrgreen:
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Trogladyte wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:06 pm I've got some plastic polish in the garage. Someone in the other place gave it to me, when I was moaning abut the boy scratching screens by throwing race bikes down the track. (Forgotten who it was, which is a bit unforgivable - thanks someone!) It does a bloody brilliant job on screens - I was amazed that a deeply scratched screen could be recovered with good optical properties, as well as cosmetics. I imagine it would work on a visor too.
What plastic polish are you using?
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

Beancounter wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:14 pm
Trogladyte wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:06 pm I've got some plastic polish in the garage. Someone in the other place gave it to me, when I was moaning abut the boy scratching screens by throwing race bikes down the track. (Forgotten who it was, which is a bit unforgivable - thanks someone!) It does a bloody brilliant job on screens - I was amazed that a deeply scratched screen could be recovered with good optical properties, as well as cosmetics. I imagine it would work on a visor too.
Cant remember the brand. Will try to dig it out.
Trogladyte

Post by Trogladyte »

Found it.Its called Xerapol.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Trogladyte wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:01 pm
Thanks Trog, got some ordered. :thumbup:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

What do you all apply the polish with?
Skub

Post by Skub »

Trogladyte wrote: Fri Sep 11, 2020 11:01 pm
Good stuff,I've used it in the past too. Haven't ever tried it on visors though.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955