Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Yorick

Re: Insignificant/ Significant things that BYP or just wind you up a little

Post by Yorick »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 8:47 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:47 pm Can I have a go ?
It's 25c right now.
Beer is €1.50.

How's that?
Rubbish, it's 19c here and I'm drinking beer at 75p a bottle whilst enjoying slow cooked on the BBQ crispy bacon
Well, we had it hard. Had to lick t'road clean with us tongues
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Migranes :( :( I very very rarely get them. Well, until this year. In the past maybe once a year. I've probably had 10 or so so far this year :( :( Luckily, last time I went to the UK I picked up some Migraleve, if I take it when the eye thing happens I can usually avoid the headache.

But still. I bloody hate how a migraine makes me feel :sick: :sick: Had to delay going out on the bike :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Noggin wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:28 pm Migranes :( :( I very very rarely get them. Well, until this year. In the past maybe once a year. I've probably had 10 or so so far this year :( :( Luckily, last time I went to the UK I picked up some Migraleve, if I take it when the eye thing happens I can usually avoid the headache.

But still. I bloody hate how a migraine makes me feel :sick: :sick: Had to delay going out on the bike :(
Migraleve is way overpriced. Just get one of the copies.

Nowadays I take both Ibuprofen and paracetamol together. Shifts it no problems.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Car main dealer trying to rip me off. (Surprise :roll: )
Last year I bought a manufacture approved used car, so it had 12 months manufacturer warranty. Recently, when it was due a service and MOT I took it to my local main dealer, mostly so that if there were any warranty issues there would be no arguments because an unauthorised mechanic serviced it. The MOT came back with advisories for front and read brake discs, they also said it needed rear. brake pads. The "service advisor" gave me the price for the front and rear brake jobs separately, I think now that was to try to disguise how expensive they were. It was something like £350 for the front discs and £550 for the rear discs and pads, i.e. about £900 but if you say £300ish and £500ish it doesn't sound so much. I took the car to a recommended local mechanic who quoted less than £450.
So I dropped the car off one morning and later got a phone call from a puzzled mechanic asking why I wanted the brakes changed. He started the job, took the first wheel off and there's nothing wrong with the disc. He checked the other three and there's nothing wrong there either.
That's one main dealer who won't be getting any more of my business.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yorick wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:33 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 3:28 pm Migranes :( :( I very very rarely get them. Well, until this year. In the past maybe once a year. I've probably had 10 or so so far this year :( :( Luckily, last time I went to the UK I picked up some Migraleve, if I take it when the eye thing happens I can usually avoid the headache.

Migraleve is way overpriced. Just get one of the copies.

Nowadays I take both Ibuprofen and paracetamol together. Shifts it no problems.
In general that's what I always used to do, but there's one ingredient in the migraleve that is anti nausea, and tht's a new symptom to me. So I bought some. As you say, high price, but I can't get them here - although I'm taking the box to the doctor tomorrow to see if there is an equivalent over here

In the past, the Ibuprofen/paracetamol mix worked fine - still does for the eye disturbance and stopping the headache. Just not for the nausea :( The Migraleve I have is the pink one and is paracetamol/coedine. Not totally sure that is ideal for me but it seemed to work this morning!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Saga Lout wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:48 pm Car main dealer trying to rip me off. (Surprise :roll: )
Last year I bought a manufacture approved used car, so it had 12 months manufacturer warranty. Recently, when it was due a service and MOT I took it to my local main dealer, mostly so that if there were any warranty issues there would be no arguments because an unauthorised mechanic serviced it. The MOT came back with advisories for front and read brake discs, they also said it needed rear. brake pads. The "service advisor" gave me the price for the front and rear brake jobs separately, I think now that was to try to disguise how expensive they were. It was something like £350 for the front discs and £550 for the rear discs and pads, i.e. about £900 but if you say £300ish and £500ish it doesn't sound so much. I took the car to a recommended local mechanic who quoted less than £450.
So I dropped the car off one morning and later got a phone call from a puzzled mechanic asking why I wanted the brakes changed. He started the job, took the first wheel off and there's nothing wrong with the disc. He checked the other three and there's nothing wrong there either.
That's one main dealer who won't be getting any more of my business.
I bought my Fabia in 2018 and they fitted new rear discs at 30k, at 40k they tried to say the new discs needed changed, I told them to wise up. Same discs only got changed for the last MOT a couple of weeks ago at 119k.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

While in the UK last month I was working in a tyre depot.
This month, I'm in France working on a campsite. I've got a slow puncture in the Duster :crazy:

A couple months ago I stopped drinking for 6 weeks. Over those 6 weeks I didn't notice much benefit but I did lose 4-6 Kg. :bblonde:
I've been back on the booze recently and my weight literally goes up by at least 500g EVERY DAY :angry-cussingblack:
Ohh well back to not drinking for a bit and see what happens.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Jody wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 7:34 am While in the UK last month I was working in a tyre depot.
This month, I'm in France working on a campsite. I've got a slow puncture in the Duster :crazy:

A couple months ago I stopped drinking for 6 weeks. Over those 6 weeks I didn't notice much benefit but I did lose 4-6 Kg. :bblonde:
I've been back on the booze recently and my weight literally goes up by at least 500g EVERY DAY :angry-cussingblack:
Ohh well back to not drinking for a bit and see what happens.
Having caught a glimpse of myself with my top off at a strange angle whilst in a changing room, I'm knocking a the beer on the head for a while. Dry at home, and if I go out, slimline G&T.
Shifting the lard gets harder with every passing year. :thumbdown:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Cinema offerings the last few years.

Reading this article: Furiosa sees worst Memorial Day opening in 30 years

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/ckdd10p0pj5o

Look at what's on at the cinema now:

Another instalment of the Planet of the Apes prequel.

Another attempt at making a Garfield movie.

Kung Fu Panda 4(!)

A Bad Boys revisit

The above Mad Max prequel, part II therein.

The Fall Guy....was the 80's telly show that good that it deserved a feature film 40 years later?

Inside Out 2

Wolverine vs. Deadpool

Where's the originality? Are you telling me that there aren't umpteen ideas being pitched as we speak, that would make really good, original movies? Is it the studios not being willing to take risks? Seems to be backfiring if that's the case, as takings are clearly down.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've been reading the Furiosa reviews this morning, they mostly reckon it's very good.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Nothing to do with it being summer, traditionally a very slow time for people going to the pictures? All the decent films arrive in the autumn.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Pirahna wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:41 pm Nothing to do with it being summer, traditionally a very slow time for people going to the pictures? All the decent films arrive in the autumn.
The US Memorial Day weekend is one of the metrics analysts use to gauge the state of the movie world in terms of takings. It makes for grim reading if you're in that game.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:17 pm I've been reading the Furiosa reviews this morning, they mostly reckon it's very good.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. ;)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Pirahna wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:41 pm Nothing to do with it being summer, traditionally a very slow time for people going to the pictures? All the decent films arrive in the autumn.
The term "Summer Blockbuster" doesn't mean much to you then? ;)
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 1:47 pm
The term "Summer Blockbuster" doesn't mean much to you then? ;)
To be honest I rarely go to the cinema. I saw Dune a few months ago, before that I think it was Bridge of Spies with Tom Hanks (Google says that was 2015).
Skub

Post by Skub »

Cinemas are host to a high percentage of deeply annoying patrons. It would need to be an epic film to drag me in to share their space.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Massively jumping to conclusions* but got-on-a-plane-and-ended-up-with-COVID. My recent hit rate is catching COVID on every other plane journey.
Fvck my luck to hell and back - but I'm not staying at home forever.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

DefTrap wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 4:29 pm Massively jumping to conclusions* but got-on-a-plane-and-ended-up-with-COVID. My recent hit rate is catching COVID on every other plane journey.
Fvck my luck to hell and back - but I'm not staying at home forever.
The airlines are on commission from BIG PHARMA™, Whenever vaccination rates drop the airlines release a fresh batch of COVID into the air con systems. Some people say it's a conspiracy theory but the facts are the facts. You can't argue with the facts.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

forgot to post this the other day. Since I was being brave about the phone, I decided to take my VERY VERY old TomTom apart and replace the old battery. Many years ago I'd bought a replacement battery, so off I went.

But -

Turns out I didn't do a very good job of buying the right battery!! FFS :roll: :roll:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Weather was shit again today, and I needed to go home from the catsit house to get some more clothes n stuff (empty the fridge!!) - so, cos the weather was rubbish, I drove up thinking i could do a coupe of jobs that needed a car.

Only, I was probably 5 mins from home when I realised that keys for the garage and the apartment were in my bike jacket - which I was not, of course, wearing :roll: :roll: :roll:

Luckily I keep a spare apartment key in a key safe outside the door. But the things I needed to do involved getting into the garage :( :( :(

Soooo, I did other stuff and came back to cat sit house :roll: :roll: :roll: