The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Potter »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:26 am
There is something in the design of the Sub that makes it look bigger on than it actually is as when side-by-side with my Seamaster, which is a mid-size, visibly there is little physical difference.
I agree, it's a strange thing.
It's impossible to tell from pictures though, I bet if you take a picture of the Sub and SM on your wrist they'll look the same.

The picture I posted of the YM and Sub is a perfect example, in the pictures they look the same size and indeed they are both 40mm watches - but in real life the Sub dwarfs the YM, to the point that I almost had a bit of buyers remorse at first because the YM looked a bit too small - and bizarrely I'd gone off the Sub because it looks too big.

I don't know why it doesn't show up properly in pictures but the difference is stark IRL.
Potter

Post by Potter »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:26 am I'm very tempted to pick up a Hamilton to wear for work - my Seamaster has been my daily wearer forever and may treat it to a new bezel and some time off....
I like them too.

I don't do any physical work (at work) anymore and I live in a place where I'll never get mugged for my watch, so I can wear what I want, but if I worked in a UK city or had a physical job then I'd be wearing a Timex.
G.P

Post by G.P »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:26 am
I'm very tempted to pick up a Hamilton to wear for work - my Seamaster has been my daily wearer forever and may treat it to a new bezel and some time off....
Same here, my Oyster Datejust has been my main daily wearer for nearly 25 years and exactly why I got a Hamilton.

I haven't been "to work" since the end of Feb but even when working from home and being surrounded by electronic appliances that tell me the time, I always wear a watch - its part of getting dressed :)
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

I don't 'work' as such, more drive a laptop, but do find my Seamaster gets bashed against the desk etc and takes it toll on it. I only had it serviced late last year and already looks like it could do with a good refinish again.

Pic of mid-size Seamaster vs Sub, despite the Sub looking far bigger off wrist it clearly isn't - think its more to do with the lugs than anything.
rsz_20200811_160103.jpg
rsz_20200811_160103.jpg (178.33 KiB) Viewed 1498 times
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Harry wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:04 am
v8-powered wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:26 am I'm very tempted to pick up a Hamilton to wear for work - my Seamaster has been my daily wearer forever and may treat it to a new bezel and some time off....
I like them too.

I don't do any physical work (at work) anymore and I live in a place where I'll never get mugged for my watch, so I can wear what I want, but if I worked in a UK city or had a physical job then I'd be wearing a Timex.
Are you sure you're not somewhat paranoid? My father wore a Sub into Central London every day of his working life and never got mugged.
I've worn my TAG 1000 (it resembles a Sub from a distance) most of my working life in London, never been mugged.

Have we just been lucky?
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:27 am I don't 'work' as such, more drive a laptop, but do find my Seamaster gets bashed against the desk etc and takes it toll on it. I only had it serviced late last year and already looks like it could do with a good refinish again.

Pic of mid-size Seamaster vs Sub, despite the Sub looking far bigger off wrist it clearly isn't - think its more to do with the lugs than anything.
As soon as you said "The Seamaster looks smaller" my reaction was "it's the lugs", specifically the Omega 'twisted lugs'.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:00 am
v8-powered wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:27 am I don't 'work' as such, more drive a laptop, but do find my Seamaster gets bashed against the desk etc and takes it toll on it. I only had it serviced late last year and already looks like it could do with a good refinish again.

As soon as you said "The Seamaster looks smaller" my reaction was "it's the lugs", specifically the Omega 'twisted lugs'.
Yep and having worn the Seamaster for the best part of 20 years I'm very used to how it fits and was worried the Sub would swamp my not overly large wrists but it doesn't - it does look considerably smaller but isn't. Can see why most people buy the large Seamaster.....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:09 am
Yep and having worn the Seamaster for the best part of 20 years I'm very used to how it fits and was worried the Sub would swamp my not overly large wrists but it doesn't - it does look considerably smaller but isn't. Can see why most people buy the large Seamaster.....
My Speedmaster is 42mm, so pretty big - but it doens't feel big 'cause of the lugs.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Ok, so my intention was to wear my new Breitling every day, work etc, but I'm worried (and have) as I'm catching it on edges etc.

So, watch winders? There's some serious £££ one's, but as I've pee'd all my cash away on the watch, haven't got £££, so anyone got a recommendation for a good value winder?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Nordboy wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:26 am Ok, so my intention was to wear my new Breitling every day, work etc, but I'm worried (and have) as I'm catching it on edges etc.

So, watch winders? There's some serious £££ one's, but as I've pee'd all my cash away on the watch, haven't got £££, so anyone got a recommendation for a good value winder?
Honestly...I wouldn't worry about catching it too much.

I've worn this watch day in day out for more than 15 years. Fair enough I'm a soft palmed office nancy, but it still looks pretty good. The only real sign of wear is the dink in the bezel at 9 o'clock.

The other benefit of never taking it off is the temperature is really stable. It's super consistent, less than half a second variation day to day.

If your watch is just stainless you can always repolish it too.

Potter

Post by Potter »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:44 am
Are you sure you're not somewhat paranoid? My father wore a Sub into Central London every day of his working life and never got mugged.
I've worn my TAG 1000 (it resembles a Sub from a distance) most of my working life in London, never been mugged.

Have we just been lucky?
Prior to 2017 it would be very unlikely to get mugged for a stainless Sub unless you were wafting it about in a bad part of town and someone was desperate, I don't think they were worth the bird the villains would get for a robbery. They'd have mugged you for a solid gold Daytona in any part of town though.

However, fast forward a few more years into crappy city life and offences against the person (like muggings) are up significantly and other theft crimes (like burglary) are down - this is most apparent in cities with populations who might be of a certain demographic.
And the price of a standard Sub is hitting five figures now, so robbers are happy to relieve you of them - and anyway, some of these wretched creatures will mug you for a phone or nice pair of trainers these days.

Either way, I watch enough and read enough to know that it's not entirely unusual to have someone twat you on the back of your head and pinch your watch in that London...or Brum, or Manchester, or Liverpool. It's not guaranteed but I wouldn't be wandering around anywhere like that in a t-shirt and 20k watch - just like I wouldn't fancy parking a nickable motor in some parts of them either.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:53 am
I've worn this watch day in day out for more than 15 years. Fair enough I'm a soft palmed office nancy, but it still looks pretty good. The only real sign of wear is the dink in the bezel at 9 o'clock.

The other benefit of never taking it off is the temperature is really stable. It's super consistent, less than half a second variation day to day.

You don't take it off for bed?

I can't wear a stainless watch 24/7 or I get a reaction to the nickel. Less so with an Omega because their steel doesn't contain as much as a Rolex, but I would still get a rash if I wore it constantly.

As for watch winders, I have one from Amazon, I think it was about £100(ish), something like this... - except mine has ten spaces below for more watches, but it only winds four at a time.
It has multiple settings and I can't see why I would spend more because it does everything just as good as a two grand one.
Potter

Post by Potter »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:27 am rsz_20200811_160103.jpg
Btw - it's totally the lugs, that's what everyone was complaining about with the Sub and whilst some people are now really happy that the new version has smaller lugs, there are plenty complaining that they've made it less masculine and they don't like it. I'm probably in the second camp, there is a Daytona or a Yachtmaster if you want something more slender, the Sub has always been a manly brick for as long as I've been into watches.

Rumour is that the Yachtmaster was first designed as a replacement for the Sub, to take it back to it's roots (or something) but people liked the big Subs so they released the Yachtmaster in it's own right - and it was a flop for quite a few years until it took off.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Harry wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:23 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 9:53 am

You don't take it off for bed?
Nope - I have worn a watch since I was 5 (got my first Timex for my fifth birthday :D) and I just wear one all the time. When I first started wearing my Omega Mrs. D coined it the "moonbomb' cause it would often end up near her head at some point in the night and she'd be disturbed by the 'ticka-ticka-ticka' sound like a Mission: Impossible bomb.

Metal allergy is a weird one. I've never had an issue with any of my watches except a fitbit on a silicone strap. The strap was the issue, not the watch.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:09 pm Metal allergy is a weird one. I've never had an issue with any of my watches except a fitbit on a silicone strap. The strap was the issue, not the watch.
I never had it when I was younger, but as I got older I noticed it now and then, then it gradually got worse.
I think it's a nickel allergy, made worse by the high nickel content in Rolex steel. Anything ferrous gives me a rash though.

If I don't sweat it's very much reduced, sometimes not happening at all - so perspiration is the catalyst.

I can wear an 18k gold watch 24/7 x365 and have no issues - as long as the gold doesn't have nickel in - my original white gold wedding ring had nickel in and it had to be cut off when my finger swelled up through a reaction.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Harry wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:33 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:09 pm Metal allergy is a weird one. I've never had an issue with any of my watches except a fitbit on a silicone strap. The strap was the issue, not the watch.
I never had it when I was younger, but as I got older I noticed it now and then, then it gradually got worse.
I think it's a nickel allergy, made worse by the high nickel content in Rolex steel. Anything ferrous gives me a rash though.

If I don't sweat it's very much reduced, sometimes not happening at all - so perspiration is the catalyst.

I can wear an 18k gold watch 24/7 x365 and have no issues - as long as the gold doesn't have nickel in - my original white gold wedding ring had nickel in and it had to be cut off when my finger swelled up through a reaction.
I'm exactly the same, getting older I started not being able to wear my wedding ring (I now wear a symbolic silicone one, well i have a few different ones) and then began having issues with my watches, so I started wearing g-shocks. Now I have the Breitling, I got the posh rubber strap and I use a cortizone cream on the clasp area, works well so far.
moth

Post by moth »

At the cheaper end of horology. This is allegedly made from decommissioned weapons.

Whatever, there was 40% off last week. I like a bargain. :)

Proud Tory scum since 1974.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Harry wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:33 pm

I have a zirconium wedding ring, partly as future proofing against allergy! Mrs. D has titanium for the same reasons. Those two alloys, titanium in particular, are used a lot in medical implants so they should be good for allergies.

The DLC black coated stuff (which I think Rolex do?) should also be very good.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

moth wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:29 pm At the cheaper end of horology. This is allegedly made from decommissioned weapons.

Whatever, there was 40% off last week. I like a bargain. :)

Didn't fancy this one then?

demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:49 pm
Didn't fancy this one then?

That's brilliant, love the way the hands are his wig.