Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Technology, embrace or ignore ?

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 11:18 pm
Couchy wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:55 pm

Hmm, not sure. Every single racer takes off the ABS as they can do better. But maybe your comment was aimed at road riders who've never raced and really pushed the limits of a bike's brakes?
I’m referring to most track day riders and a lot of racers, listening to Haslam on ABS when Leon and Ron go out on their school days only Leon can better the abs system and then not all the time. The new race setting on some of the bosch systems only works on the front wheel and I’m not sure anyone who posts here can out perform it. I don’t know why your gsxr system needs removing tbh, it should be right up there with the rest of the latest systems.
Dunno why really. It feels spongy and less powerful. I've had 7 new GSXRs and this has the worst front brake. I changed it to the Accosata MC and was better. I really notice braking power as I have a knackered wrist and broken both of my braking fingers.

Some things on this new GSXR are good and some a bit shit like TC and launch control. I'd love to attack Donington on it :)
You're not the only one, it certainly seems common on the fast lads with GSXRs, although i'd argue it's very much a minority of riders. I expect even 50% of that minority only do it because someone else did.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

The only bit of new tech that I really dislike, mentioned above, is self-cancelling indicators. I'll turn them off when I want to, thanks, not when a little box under my bum decides they've been on for too long. Example: there's a big r/about near us, where I'm often taking the last exit. I want to indicate R before the r/a and all the way round, and traffic is often heavy and slow on and in it. So the bike switches them off when I'm barely on the r/a. I've never had a problem switching them off, and it's a bigger problem having to remember to switch them back on again at times like that. Disabled them on the last 2 bikes >> happy.

Otherwise - most tech can help in marginal situations,self-inflicted or not. But, as said, beware of failures in tiny components ; they may wreck the value of otherwise sound middle-aged bikes in future. "Beyond economic repair".
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Wossname wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:05 am The only bit of new tech that I really dislike, mentioned above, is self-cancelling indicators.
It shows how we are not all the same.

Many many times I have wished for the self cancelling indicators I had many many years ago on my Yam FZ750. The great feature was they were linked to the speedo and self cancelled after a certain distance - perfection.
Brian
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

One of my worst habits is leaving my indicators on. Self-cancelling can be a life saver.
Didge

Post by Didge »

The only technological improvements that I'm interested in, are those that improve reliability. 8-)
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

Meh. I buy what I like and can afford (not necessarily the same thing ☹️)

If it’s got technology on it that’s fine, if not it’s not a deal breaker.

I’m not quick enough to need anti wheelie or traction control so technology would need to be ‘useful’ rather than having bragging rights down the pub.

I used to have self cancelling indicators on my xj650 which were useful as I’ve a habit of leaving mine on.

A built in chain lube system would be great.

Maybe automatically adjusting suspension for when you have a pillion.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

hilldweller wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 1:30 pm
Wossname wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 11:05 am The only bit of new tech that I really dislike, mentioned above, is self-cancelling indicators.
It shows how we are not all the same.

Many many times I have wished for the self cancelling indicators I had many many years ago on my Yam FZ750. The great feature was they were linked to the speedo and self cancelled after a certain distance - perfection.
FZ750 self cancelling indicators are actually linked to the cdi and work off engine revs, if you disconnect the indicator flasher unit the bike won't start.
Honda Owner
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

hilldweller wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:23 am
Rockburner wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:48 pm I was thinking of trying a Super Socco TCMax when i got a chance.
I called in to J&S near Chester and they had a little demo set up in the car park. I could not believe how good they looked and how low the price was. I was temped but the range was not quite good enough for "a ride out".

But if I was commuting and the range worked I'd have been on one.
I'd love a leccy bike for commuting but after watching the review videos that isnt going to cut it for my 60 mile round trip, although it might if i fitted a 2nd battery.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jun 23, 2020 6:15 pm I'd love a leccy bike for commuting but after watching the review videos that isnt going to cut it for my 60 mile round trip, although it might if i fitted a 2nd battery.
There is a Chinese solution, one of them has replacement batteries and swap out machines scattered around. Or you could have two batteries and one get charged at home, the other at work.

But generally they are big, heavy and expensive so I can't see it as a option for a normal fixed battery bike.

It's not the time of electric bike right now but it should improve a lot very quickly.
Brian
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I seem to recall PB getting Bruce Dunn to try and better the abs on a sportsbike. Think it was an S1000. He did but they said it took him a few goes and was so marginal that whilst it would matter to a racer on track that wasn't what abs is for.

What its for is panic breaking in the cold and wet on a Monday morning commute. When you don't get 10 goes at it.

The last time I panic braked was when I had a brain fart and missed a car stopping. I slammed the brakes on and the abs didn't kick in anyway so I think these things are far more advanced than the early days.

Having said that my brother bought a late fazer 600 and the ABS had gone, lucky he noticed. He took it back to the dealer and the repair cost was 2/3rds of the price of the bike so he gave it back
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Some abs is cornering abs. Some work without any lean. But for me, if im losing the front I'll take all the help I can. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Funners

Post by Funners »

Multistrada has more tech than you can point a stick at.....
ABS
cornering ABS
TFT Dash
wheelie control, stoppie control, traction control, electronic semi-active suspension, variable engine/throttle maps, cornering lights, quick shifter, cruise control yadda yadda
do I worry about it ? not really most of it once youve set it to how you want it, never gets touched again, being able to swap, on the fly from SPORT to TOURING to URBAN or ENDURO (yeah right) is very good, also the different loads from solo to two up to two up with luggage is also very handy
if it was still Italian electronics, I'm sure it'd be a nightmare, but as Ducati are owned by VAG now it's all Bosch stuff and (touch wood) seems reliable :)
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

This just came up on YouTube, it just goes to show what happens when "normal" mechanics hit problem with a modern bike. Skip though a lot of the video, a lot is just waffle.

You could say "crap dealer" ( but with a heart of gold if he paid it all ) but the bottom line is this could have been you or me having bought a bargain older bike and thinking "what a bargain".

Brian
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

Im of an age now that a lot of new tech just confuses me. Strange black boxes that sit under the telly, endless screens to faff through on everything, cars having volume controls where a gear change should be. It all seems to be marginal improvements over 'normal' stuff, remarkably expensive, and unreliable and unrepairable. Im not really interested in any of it, and wonder what we are going to use for cheap transport in 20 years time, even if that probably wont affect me directly.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

hilldweller wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:40 pm This just came up on YouTube, it just goes to show what happens when "normal" mechanics hit problem with a modern bike. Skip though a lot of the video, a lot is just waffle.

You could say "crap dealer" ( but with a heart of gold if he paid it all ) but the bottom line is this could have been you or me having bought a bargain older bike and thinking "what a bargain".
I will say crap dealer, and crap spanner monkey too, both set in their ways firing the parts cannon rather than taking an hour to do a bit of basic fault finding / diagnostic work

Edit; taking 5 minutes to read thorough the video comments and it looks like you can add idiot / clueless rider to the mix too;'
We kept the parts on like the fuel pump(common issue) so I don't have to replace it in the future. The new ecu has updated software. It made the bike run better. Feels like it has more power and more pickup. So I kept it on the bike. Front suspension was completely rebuilt and a gold chain/sprockets were installed which was added to the bill.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I like tech in principle, but am nervous that it'll go wrong and cost me £££ to fix. I don't have that fear with tech in cars, but I do with bikes, as on the whole they tend to be less reliable, or at least less robust. I'd like really good suspension (ESA) instead of the NC's farm cart, but you only see it on high-end bikes and I'm too mean to buy them. So in conclusion it's probably low tech for me. Voila.