Technology, embrace or ignore ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
G.P

Re: Technology, embrace or ignore ?

Post by G.P »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:10 am

COuchie was surprised/disappointed that he couldn't get the Traction to kick in at Donny on the 690 on Monday, despite trying at times to be fairly hamfisted with it, i guess it just doesn't really have the outright power to get the TC working. Even though it's there :) :thumbup:

I do like having it though for the 690, i'm not a confident person in a leaned over, walloping on the power context, so having that there as a safety blanket does actually help and make me think i can get on the power that bit earlier.
It may not have the outright power with decent tyres on a warm track but on a cold damp back lane or roundabout it will definitiely work, and that's what its for really ?
G.P

Post by G.P »

I Had a KTM 790 last year and it was great fun. I liked the technology that gave it its power and at the same time, really good economy.

I didn't really use the QS, TC etc except for on track. on the road I'd clutch it up and down cos that's what you do right?
Funnily enough, it was the dash and trip computer etc which I really liked over older bikes.
Sometimes tech is over the top. The ABS and TC on my Monster 1200 have a massive range of adjustment available to the rider but the dash won't tell me my fuel level or what gear I'm in ( need :dunno: emoji :) )

My mid 90's 900ss Ducatis for me have the right combination of simplicity and performance. Aircooled belt drive 2 cylinder engines that will produce between 75 and 100bhp depending on what you do to them (and being able to do things to them is also part of the fun). they are light 175kgs and have modern suspension, brakes and wheel sizes.
That said, I'm happy with modern tech on a bike if i'm doing big commuting miles.

So, a bit of embrace and bit of ignore :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Even though mine's got around 200 gee gees, I've turned off the TC as it was shit. More fun to control the power mesen.

The ABS on the front takes away some braking power, so I'm gonna bypass it like the racers. But I do like the ABS on the back. It locks too quickly, so nice to be able to stand on it if needed, with no troubles.

Quick shifters are just bling and serve no purpose, apart from pub bragging rights.

Slipper clutches are great. And fuel injection is amazing on modern sports bikes.

If it doesn't make me smile, it's a waste of time :)
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Never ridden anything with all the bells and whistles rider aids so I'd love a go on a 2020 ZX10 or R1. Launch control, would I have the bottle to pin it and let the clutch out......
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:38 pm Never ridden anything with all the bells and whistles rider aids so I'd love a go on a 2020 ZX10 or R1. Launch control, would I have the bottle to pin it and let the clutch out......
Mine has a sort of launch control. I can do it better, so turned it off.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I'm not opposed to ABS or TC on a bike,better to have options than not,I suppose. Technology marches on whether you like it it or not.

My bike doesn't have any rider aids at all,not even ABS,so I can't say if I'd use them or not,there is no choice.

The one thing which does leave me a little sad,is how difficult it now is for the home spanner spinner to work on even modern-ish bikes. It's not that it can't be done,but I no longer find it pleasurable,what ought to be simple jobs can be an epic ballache. I miss the joy of working on a bike and feeling like I've achieved something.

In essence I'd like a bike as easy to work on as my old Z1,but with the performance of a modern day bike.

Yeah,I know,'moon onna stick'. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

My Multistrada has 150 BHP, programmable Traction Control, Programmable ABS and other goodies. In Sport mode which i normally use i dont see the TC light up unless i cross something slippy like a metal plate on a bridge and i cant remember the ABS kicking in either.

I have spent 36 years riding trying not to spin the rear wheel while getting the throttle open quickly and braking hard without managing to lock the brakes so i guess its just completely inbuilt. I barely use the slipper clutch as again its instinct not to ping a clutch out on a downshift especially when block shifting.

I asked the question on an owners forum if i needed to be firmer and trust the electronics to get more from the bike and the answer was overwhelmingly "ride as you are as the electronics will be a safety blanket to help you if you fuck it up"

I still think i need to push it more to make the electronics kick in but in the back of my head is an alarm bell that says "You'll fuck it up and hurt yourself"

What do you think
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:01 pm
I still think i need to push it more to make the electronics kick in but in the back of my head is an alarm bell that says "You'll fuck it up and hurt yourself"

What do you think
Go for it man. Take pics too. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

hilldweller wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:52 am KISS.

It's alright for those who can keep buying new but think of that all singing all dancing brilliant bike a few years down the road when you have to scrap it because of a blown transistor in a black box which costs more than the bike is worth.

ABS, oh yes, a life saver on a bike. The rest, not needed on real roads where there are cameras everywhere, heavy traffic and idiots staring at their car screens trying to turn the heat down and answer a text at the same time.

But the goal posts are moving, an electric bike has to be loaded with electronics.
A blown transistor.....the modern electronics are very reliable and it’s not even a thought.

I love the electronics as rider aids, abs on the road is great and on track with it just on front wheel it works ace too. I love traction control on track on a low setting so it lets it slide a fair bit before cutting in. Quick shifters and blippers are just superb fun. At the end of the day you still have to ride them and if you use the tronics as performance aids they add to the ride
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:01 pm My Multistrada has 150 BHP, programmable Traction Control, Programmable ABS and other goodies. In Sport mode which i normally use i dont see the TC light up unless i cross something slippy like a metal plate on a bridge and i cant remember the ABS kicking in either.

I have spent 36 years riding trying not to spin the rear wheel while getting the throttle open quickly and braking hard without managing to lock the brakes so i guess its just completely inbuilt. I barely use the slipper clutch as again its instinct not to ping a clutch out on a downshift especially when block shifting.

I asked the question on an owners forum if i needed to be firmer and trust the electronics to get more from the bike and the answer was overwhelmingly "ride as you are as the electronics will be a safety blanket to help you if you fuck it up"

What do you think
The limits are massively higher than you realise, put traction on a high setting and get used to how it feels, once it cuts in wind it down some more. As for abs get to 100mph and jump on the brakes you’ll be astonished how quick it stops. Once you know that you’ll brake harder all the time knowing you have been well within the limits all these years. You won’t crash have faith
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 12:18 pm In the future I'm very likely to buy an electric bike for commuting if I can find one that's affordable enough, and offers the performance spec required.

That could be a while then...

At the nec bike show last year I spoke to the super soco lads and was not convinced their bikes were worthy of investing. Don't think they were tbh. There cheaper than the other brands but range and performance was poor. Maybe a moped replacement.?

Zero makes some better bikes but more expensive. Good performance, still questions over range but tempting for some.

I know HD do the Livewire but what about the japs. Have they made any ?, i haven't read anything if they have.

As been said above, as bikes become more complex with gadgets or electric motors with batteries, the second hand market will surely suffer, far too risky.
Possibly a while yes, but they're getting better at a quicker rate now. I was thinking of trying a Super Socco TCMax when i got a chance. I'd like a touch more speed than they claim but otherwise it's nigh on what I'm after.
non quod, sed quomodo
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:20 pm Go for it man. Take pics too. 8-)
I knew i could rely on you x

:thumbup:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Couchy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:43 pm
The limits are massively higher than you realise, put traction on a high setting and get used to how it feels, once it cuts in wind it down some more. As for abs get to 100mph and jump on the brakes you’ll be astonished how quick it stops. Once you know that you’ll brake harder all the time knowing you have been well within the limits all these years. You won’t crash have faith
Ta, i might give it a look and try some baby steps ;)

I can only recall locking the front once and that was on the GS1150 and probably through a bit of anger so self inflicted ...... felt the front lock and slide at about 75mph but released it and reapplied so didnt fall off
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:43 pm As for abs get to 100mph and jump on the brakes you’ll be astonished how quick it stops. Once you know that you’ll brake harder all the time knowing you have been well within the limits all these years. You won’t crash have faith
Hmm, not sure. Every single racer takes off the ABS as they can do better. But maybe your comment was aimed at road riders who've never raced and really pushed the limits of a bike's brakes?
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I had my abs kick in on track on Tuesday with bike square up. I was pulling lever hard but what would of happened without abs when proper upright. Tbh, I don't understand why it kicked in. Doubt it was losing traction upright. Dry warm track. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 10:55 pm
Couchy wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 8:43 pm As for abs get to 100mph and jump on the brakes you’ll be astonished how quick it stops. Once you know that you’ll brake harder all the time knowing you have been well within the limits all these years. You won’t crash have faith
Hmm, not sure. Every single racer takes off the ABS as they can do better. But maybe your comment was aimed at road riders who've never raced and really pushed the limits of a bike's brakes?
Yup..... me as it was a direct reply to my question ;)
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Electronic ignition. I think. I can't see any Point(s)
TC and ABS are both on the right hand side of the Bar.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Rockburner wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:48 pm I was thinking of trying a Super Socco TCMax when i got a chance.
I called in to J&S near Chester and they had a little demo set up in the car park. I could not believe how good they looked and how low the price was. I was temped but the range was not quite good enough for "a ride out".

But if I was commuting and the range worked I'd have been on one.
Brian
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

I’m referring to most track day riders and a lot of racers, listening to Haslam on ABS when Leon and Ron go out on their school days only Leon can better the abs system and then not all the time. The new race setting on some of the bosch systems only works on the front wheel and I’m not sure anyone who posts here can out perform it. I don’t know why your gsxr system needs removing tbh, it should be right up there with the rest of the latest systems.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Couchy wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:02 pm
I’m referring to most track day riders and a lot of racers, listening to Haslam on ABS when Leon and Ron go out on their school days only Leon can better the abs system and then not all the time. The new race setting on some of the bosch systems only works on the front wheel and I’m not sure anyone who posts here can out perform it. I don’t know why your gsxr system needs removing tbh, it should be right up there with the rest of the latest systems.
Dunno why really. It feels spongy and less powerful. I've had 7 new GSXRs and this has the worst front brake. I changed it to the Accosata MC and was better. I really notice braking power as I have a knackered wrist and broken both of my braking fingers.

Some things on this new GSXR are good and some a bit shit like TC and launch control. I'd love to attack Donington on it :)