Best Discs

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Jazzy

Best Discs

Post by Jazzy »

Any idea on the best discs to go for. Bike is a gsxr1000 k7.

Brembo, EBC or other.

I get 25% off EBC through the TRF so they are significantly cheaper than Brembo.

Cheers
KungFooBob

Re: Best Discs

Post by KungFooBob »

You want the best or you want the cheapest?

Best upgrade I've ever made to a bike was PFM Ductile Iron Superbike Discs, but that was on an older Fireblade, a half modern GSXR would probably be fine on stainless discs. I put an EBC disc on my Bullet, because they were the only option other than factory fit. I'd never put them on anything that I was going to use in the wet.

So, if I were you, Brembo Series ORO.... but from a reputable supplier as there's a fuck ton of fake Brembo bits out there.
Skub

Post by Skub »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:03 pm You want the best or you want the cheapest?

Best upgrade I've ever made to a bike was PFM Ductile Iron Superbike Discs, but that was on an older Fireblade, a half modern GSXR would probably be fine on stainless discs. I put an EBC disc on my Bullet, because they were the only option other than factory fit. I'd never put them on anything that I was going to use in the wet.

So, if I were you, Brembo Series ORO.... but from a reputable supplier as there's a fuck ton of fake Brembo bits out there.
Yeah,what he said. I used to like EBC pads,so I bought EBC discs and pads. I'll never do that again.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

EBC Prolites.

Are generally to be avoided. Got them on my Slingshot and I can't say I'm a fan.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Hey Fatso :) Why you wanna change ? I had no problems with the brakes on mine. Maybe it's coz you is a few stones heavier than me :)
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Yorick wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:22 pm Hey Fatso :) Why you wanna change ? I had no problems with the brakes on mine. Maybe it's coz you is a few stones heavier than me :)
The bobbins have worn out. Plenty of life still in the discs as I am so waif like there’s been no wear :)

I could buy those aftermarket replacement bobbins.

The bike only gets used once or twice a year, I’ve only done 3000 miles in the last 5 years on it.

Not sure I’m up for spending £400-£500 on a set of PFM or Brembo’s.

Set of EBC is £220ish.

There is some other makes, that I’ve not heard of, then theres some used oem and galfers on eBay, but a bit of a risk on 2nd hand discs.
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

I put Brembo Oro's on my K3 1000 track bike. Cheaper than OEM and no worries with warping etc.

www.carpimoto.com were cheapest I could find :thumbup:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Replace the bobbins, buy discs from Suzuki or fit expensive race discs, do not fit cheap discs, they're a waste of money, you'd be better off with a 2nd hand set of OE ones.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:26 pm Replace the bobbins, buy discs from Suzuki or fit expensive race discs, do not fit cheap discs, they're a waste of money, you'd be better off with a 2nd hand set of OE ones.
I never knew you could replace them. Are they hard to fit?
https://beringerbrakes.co.uk/product_in ... ucts_id=31
Le_Fromage_Grande

They're easy to fit, getting the old ones out is the tricky bit, needs careful use of an angle grinder
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:13 am They're easy to fit, getting the old ones out is the tricky bit, needs careful use of an angle grinder
Just been to look at mine, but they're Brembo. So what holds the bobbins in place? I assumed they were "pressed' into place ???
Jazzy

Post by Jazzy »

Thanks all

Ordered the brembo series oro discs and sc pads in the end
Le_Fromage_Grande

Yorick wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:57 am
Julian_Boolean wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:13 am They're easy to fit, getting the old ones out is the tricky bit, needs careful use of an angle grinder
Just been to look at mine, but they're Brembo. So what holds the bobbins in place? I assumed they were "pressed' into place ???
Original ones are like large rivets, one end is squashed to keep them in, the replacement ones I used had springy washers and circlip to hold them in, this was about 25 years ago though.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:23 am
Yorick wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:57 am
Original ones are like large rivets, one end is squashed to keep them in, the replacement ones I used had springy washers and circlip to hold them in, this was about 25 years ago though.
Aha, just Googled that. Not sure if I'd feel competent to repair discs.