New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Skub

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by Skub »

That finger wasn't watching for the doors and corners. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Skub wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:52 pm That finger wasn't watching for the doors and corners. :(
The other little finger is actually a bit shorter due to a door! This one is wonky due to a rather nasty infection and 3 tendon flush ops in 7 days ( I have pictures but apparently they make people ill).
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Skub

Post by Skub »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:59 pm
Skub wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:52 pm That finger wasn't watching for the doors and corners. :(
The other little finger is actually a bit shorter due to a door! This one is wonky due to a rather nasty infection and 3 tendon flush ops in 7 days ( I have pictures but apparently they make people ill).
The protomolecule will fix it for ya! :lol:
Walt Whitman
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:20 pm The Shoei was posted back today and as I'd decided to buy a lid I've bought this. Hoping it fits like my current Shark as Helmet City don't do free returns, but my Arai, my current Shark and the Shoei all fit in Medium so fingers crossed.

So wore this for the first time last Sat and again yesterday. I'm a bit odd as like to wear my old lid for the first few rides so I can do a back to back comparison with the new one. My old lid was a Shark Speed R.

First impression was 'wow' it's so much quieter! It also feels a fair bit lighter so less neck strain. Fit was good, bit tighter than the old one but you'd hope so. Drop down visor was a bit more fiddly to operate as the slider is in the middle at the back rather than on the side. So had a few moments where I was flailing around trying to find it but that'll come with practice. Chin vent isn't up to much, top vent works fairly well.

All in all for £220 quid I'm well happy with it.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Ordered some of these back in Nov as they were discounted from £180 to £100 and looks like they are still that price. Wore them for the first time yesterday. They are to replace/go alongside my old Bullit SR6 jeans.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/430315

Main attraction was that they were mainly single layer (they are reinforced in some areas) but AAA rated. First impressions were they are less warm than my SR6's which makes sense as the SR6 are double layered for 60% of the jeans. However in summer hopefully that'll make them more breathable.

I had to go down a size from my usual so 32 instead of 34 waist. My SR6 are size 34 and they are too big for me without a belt. I might sell them actually as being loose isn't ideal. Overall fit is much better than the SR6 too which were fairly baggy. I went with the straight fit which is fine for me. The Coverts also come fitted with level 2 armour which is nice. I had to buy D30 armour for my SR6 separately, having said that the Bullit armour isn't as soft so bit more noticeable on the knees but not un-comfy.

And last weekend I got to see them crash tested when my born again mate slid off on a roundabout. He had a house key in his pocket which punched it's way out through the material, I never have anything in my pockets so should be ok and I dread to think from the position of the hole how he'd have felt if it'd punched in rather than out :o The outer of the denim though was fine where he slid with not even a mark on them which was reassuring. His glove had a big scuff on and his jacket forearm went through. So hopefully the Bullit's should do their job in an off to an extent. He did say he thought the knee armour moved but that's always gonna be an issue in denim without getting something completely skin tight.

So overall I'm happy with them :thumbup:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Supermofo wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:38 ama house key in his pocket which punched it's way out through the material, I never have anything in my pockets so should be ok
Castle Combe Instructor wrote: Don't have anything in your pockets that you're wouldn't want a surgeon to have to cut out.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Horse wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:16 pm
Supermofo wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:38 ama house key in his pocket which punched it's way out through the material, I never have anything in my pockets so should be ok
Castle Combe Instructor wrote: Don't have anything in your pockets that you're wouldn't want a surgeon to have to cut out.
Where do you propose we carry things then ?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:31 pm
Saddle bag.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

MrLongbeard wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:14 pm

Saddle bag.
But what about the blokes?
Horse

Post by Horse »

I kept the panniers on when trundling around there.

But the point still stands, doesn't it? It's down to everyone to make their own choices about what they carry, when and how.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Goggles..keep dust out. 🙂

Yamaha rocket 3
BBB

Post by BBB »

A second hand one peice IXS leathers for £110, some hefty scuffing on the right hand side. The motul leather cleaner is slowly getting the worst off though.

Youngest is keen to ride pillion so he's got my old two peice stuff. That and they seem to have shrunk after not being worn for a few years, I've kept them in the loft so can only assume that the extremes in temps have caused it.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Didn't buy but got this from my brother for me birthday. It's very orange and I love it.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:19 pm I bought a set of Lee Parks gloves because the fella in the hat on Motolegends reckons they're the business.

https://www.motolegends.com/gloves/lee- ... ellow.html
I've been tempted by them - any good?
non quod, sed quomodo
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:19 pm I bought a set of Lee Parks gloves because the fella in the hat on Motolegends reckons they're the business.

https://www.motolegends.com/gloves/lee- ... ellow.html
They look like gardening gloves :banana-dance:
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Who could resist a Rukka Woolly Knitwear Dog Jacket? Unfortunately, I bought it before checking the CE certification; does anyone know its A-rating?

Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Shoei RYD.

Not bad for 300 quid, the only real complaint i have is that the chin vent directs air almost straight at my eyes, not quite direct, not enough to actually make the helmet unusable, but enough to be an irritant.

Hopefully I'll get used to it.
non quod, sed quomodo
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Rockburner wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 10:39 pm the chin vent directs air almost straight at my eyes
It's handy for anyone trying to keep their glasses from fogging up!
Skub

Post by Skub »

I'm ready for Summer right now. :lol:

I nabbed these Keis gloves and all the connectors for almost half price and in as new condition. Be rude not to. 8-)

Given the failure of Spring to warm up around here,I'll be testing them soon. I would've done so already,but it's pissing down hailstones and everything,so laters.

Walt Whitman
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

I've been meaning to buy a one piece for track for a while and they're now clamping down on the two pieces i.e. zip must be full around rather than 2/3 or 3/4. I read a max of a 2" gap.

Since I already have the InMotion brain/subscription in my Ixon vest it made sense to go for a suit with the same system so I can just swap it over.

I did ponder just using the vest under a one piece but it was a faff with it riding up whilst trying to get the suit on.
SmartSelect_20210517-140617_Chrome (Custom).jpg
SmartSelect_20210517-140617_Chrome (Custom).jpg (22.81 KiB) Viewed 884 times