New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
Cousin Jack

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by Cousin Jack »

Potter wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:19 pm I bought a set of Lee Parks gloves because the fella in the hat on Motolegends reckons they're the business.

https://www.motolegends.com/gloves/lee- ... ellow.html
I quite like the look of them to replace the ancient Triumph summer gloves I have, but the sizing looks weird. I normally buy a Large glove, but the sizing thing says I need a Small in this make. Let me know how yours fit.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:13 pm There's always these:

https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-elkskin-ropers.html
Bastid! Now you have me fancying an Aerostich suit again!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Horse

Post by Horse »

:)
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:25 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:13 pm There's always these:

https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-elkskin-ropers.html
Bastid! Now you have me fancying an Aerostich suit again!
Hah! Will it be one of these?

https://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-pie ... sin-jeremy

"Weeksy?'"
What, CJ?
"Could you change my username?"
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Horse wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:54 pm Hah! Will it be one of these?

https://www.aerostich.com/suits/one-pie ... sin-jeremy

"Weeksy?'"
What, CJ?
"Could you change my username?"
No way Jose!

Jeremy is an effete wimp compared to Jack.

(with apologies o any real Jeremys on the forum)
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Bought some noise cancelling earbuds a few weeks back as the office was getting noisy with work being done in the office above us.

Anyway turns out that in Active Noise cancelling Mode they work very well at reducing wind noise on the bike.

Had to use a balaclava to stop them falling out when I put the helmet on, I guess a skull cap would work just as well.

One's I got were these ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOZO-Cancellin ... B085NPCQLT. I got a 15% discount off the price so keep an eye out for codes but i'd say they were worth the £40 easy.

Nice low profile so not uncomfortable, you can tell they are there but they don't hurt. Lots of silicone buds included to help you get a decent fit. I can hear the bass tones of the bike engine and a little bit of wind noise but it's easily 50% quieter if not more.

I discovered it's so much more relaxing to ride without so much noise but also you need to recalibrate your aural speedo as I found myself 20mph faster without realising :oops:

Haven't tried with music or nav directions yet on the bike but will report back when I go for a longer ride. Sound quality in normal use is pretty good and on a par with my sony over ear headphones with good but not boomy bass and good clear midrange.

Going to try Android Auto to see if I can get voice commands to work on the bike too but I think there will be too much noise for it to pick up from the mic. There's no way to pick up a call without pressing on one of the pods so if OK Google could be made to work then all boxes would be ticked. Maybe you can set Android to auto pick up calls.......

Battery life is only 7 hours in NC mode when playing audio (it will probably be less that that in real life) but I think it will be longer if you don't have music streaming and are just using the NC with say Nav directions. They come in a little case which is a powerbank and can charge the buds a few times too.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Beancounter wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 9:34 pm
Also bought a pair of Rev’It Discovery H2O:

Have used the boots a few times now, for a couple of hours at a time and some thoughts come to mind.

1. I have quite chunky calf muscles so regularly find velcro shin closures have to be pulled, almost stretched, to get the two pieces of material to meet at the top of the boot. This is slightly exacerbated by the lumpy boa retention system though the shin 'flap' is designed with this in mind. The net effect is that the boot closes but the velcro doesn't overlap 100% and can rub on exposed shins. It's not enough to bother me but may well do for someone else. Rev'It have at least used the soft velcro on the flap facing the skin.

2. The boa closure is very comfortable. At first I was sceptical because I have Fizik cycling shoes that use the boa and they're uncomfortable to wear after 15 minutes. I can only assume it's down to the padding in the tongue (thin on the cycling shoes, thick motorcycle boots) and also the spread of the boa across the top of the foot and shin compared to the cycling shoe which is simply on the top of the foot.

3. I'm normally a UK size 9. These boots are a UK 9.5 and thick socks are a no-no. Again, not an issue for me but might be for some else. This is similar to my other previous Rev'It boots so I guess the general rule is half a size up on normal at least. I'm not a wide fit and the boots fit snuggly.

Overall very happy with the boots with one caveat - I haven't tried them in rain yet. They look like a cross between a road boot, an adventure boot and a walking boot. No cheap nasty plasticy zips, a decent grippy sole, flexible enough to walk in but with more support around the ankles than my old TCX Baja wannabe-adventure boots.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Potter wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:38 pm
This looks like it might be a misadventure, I emailed today to ask about any update as I'd had no dispatch notice.
They told me they were in the post and should take about a month! I paid £20 postage for a pair of small gloves and it takes a month! Urban Rider charge the same for jackets and get them to me in two days.

I'll think I'll give these guys a miss in the future.
Quick update - I had a moan at them and they responded very quickly and sent them out via Express delivery, they arrived today and I'm back to being happy again.

In the end the customer service was very good, which is nice because occasionally things happen but if they get put right very quickly then it makes all the difference. So they're back on my recommended list :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:15 am
Potter wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:38 pm
This looks like it might be a misadventure, I emailed today to ask about any update as I'd had no dispatch notice.
They told me they were in the post and should take about a month! I paid £20 postage for a pair of small gloves and it takes a month! Urban Rider charge the same for jackets and get them to me in two days.

I'll think I'll give these guys a miss in the future.
Quick update - I had a moan at them and they responded very quickly and sent them out via Express delivery, they arrived today and I'm back to being happy again.

In the end the customer service was very good, which is nice because occasionally things happen but if they get put right very quickly then it makes all the difference. So they're back on my recommended list :)
And how are they ?
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:17 am
And how are they ?
Exactly as described.

Buy a size smaller than you would normally take, you'll think it was a mistake when they arrive and I really didn't think I would get my hands into them, but after a struggle I did and then within 5 minutes they'd moulded to my hands and now fit perfectly, and they're no more of a faff to get on than any other decent glove now, so they do stretch quite a bit quite quickly.

They feel super thin, I bet I could easily type in them, but apparently they offer great abrasion resistance.

If you're into gloves with lots of armour and hard bits then they'll feel weird, they're very light and very thin, it's like wearing leather Marigolds once they're on. I bet after a while they'll be the comfiest gloves in the world, but I'm still not sure how protective they'll be, I hope I don't find out.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

Ditchfinder wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:56 am Bought some noise cancelling earbuds a few weeks back as the office was getting noisy with work being done in the office above us.

Anyway turns out that in Active Noise cancelling Mode they work very well at reducing wind noise on the bike.

Had to use a balaclava to stop them falling out when I put the helmet on, I guess a skull cap would work just as well.

One's I got were these ones https://www.amazon.co.uk/TOZO-Cancellin ... B085NPCQLT. I got a 15% discount off the price so keep an eye out for codes but i'd say they were worth the £40 easy.

Nice low profile so not uncomfortable, you can tell they are there but they don't hurt. Lots of silicone buds included to help you get a decent fit. I can hear the bass tones of the bike engine and a little bit of wind noise but it's easily 50% quieter if not more.

I discovered it's so much more relaxing to ride without so much noise but also you need to recalibrate your aural speedo as I found myself 20mph faster without realising :oops:

Haven't tried with music or nav directions yet on the bike but will report back when I go for a longer ride. Sound quality in normal use is pretty good and on a par with my sony over ear headphones with good but not boomy bass and good clear midrange.

Going to try Android Auto to see if I can get voice commands to work on the bike too but I think there will be too much noise for it to pick up from the mic. There's no way to pick up a call without pressing on one of the pods so if OK Google could be made to work then all boxes would be ticked. Maybe you can set Android to auto pick up calls.......

Battery life is only 7 hours in NC mode when playing audio (it will probably be less that that in real life) but I think it will be longer if you don't have music streaming and are just using the NC with say Nav directions. They come in a little case which is a powerbank and can charge the buds a few times too.
OK so bit of an update after using them on the commute for the last few days.

Cannot get OK Google to work with helmet on even if stationary so no good for answering calls. Can't seem to use auto answer on Android 10 either although there might be an app for that. Although if the mic isn't picking up 'OK Google' voice quality is going to be poor.

Putting helmet on with balaclava is no drama but when taking off you need to be careful they don't pingfuckit :angry-cussingblack: This isn't a problem until someone starts talking to you with your helmet on and you can't hear a thing without taking it off as you can't turn the ANC off :roll:

Looked into remotes for controlling volume and play pause and there are some aimed at remote controlling Android head units from the steering wheel which could be made to work and still wouldn't allow toggling of the ANC.

Conclusion is that I think they work great at reducing the wind noise and for Google maps directions but nothing else. I'm tempted to look at some wired ones with the mic on an inline remote that I could fix near the chin on my helmet which would allow toggling of the ANC but then we introduce weather protection into the mix :think:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Just ordered nearly £1000 worth of gloves. I've still not found a pair of gloves for track and using my track gloves yesterday showed me i really dislike them. So i've got 7 sets of gloves on their way from Sportsbikeshop.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Wore my cheapo Ducati Branded Arai Chaser for the first time yesterday - and it is great fit . And i even like the look of it (now)
The half tinted visor thing is a tad annoying - and noisy ...
Skub

Post by Skub »

weeksy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:56 am Just ordered nearly £1000 worth of gloves. I've still not found a pair of gloves for track and using my track gloves yesterday showed me i really dislike them. So i've got 7 sets of gloves on their way from Sportsbikeshop.
:shock:

:lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:37 pm
weeksy wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:56 am Just ordered nearly £1000 worth of gloves. I've still not found a pair of gloves for track and using my track gloves yesterday showed me i really dislike them. So i've got 7 sets of gloves on their way from Sportsbikeshop.
:shock:

:lol:
Well 5 pairs arrives, 5 x NO.

There's a couple of potentials in a different sizing, but they're all basically a NO as they stand.
Ditchfinder

Post by Ditchfinder »

I have a real problem with gloves too, I have short fat fingers and relatively small hands so end up needing a large so the circulation isn't restricted at the base of my fingers but then end up with a crease on my palm and fingers that are too long :angry-cussingblack:

Only the stretchy fabric street type gloves have fitted so far but they are useless in the wet. :(
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Another 4 pairs today.. LOL.

However, we're absolutely happy with 1 set.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/486022

Sadly for me, they're more than i wanted to pay for gloves ideally. But as they really do fit beautifully, i think i'll have to bite the bullet and keep em.

Return raised for the other 1000 pairs to send back to Sportsbikeshop.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Spidi makes beautifully finished gloves :thumbup:

And the splash of red goes with the colour of your eyes after an evening on the beers :mrgreen:
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

New gloves time, my old ones are beginning to shed plastic bits , look a bit frayed and are probably 10+ years old. I always like alpinestars gloves, though on this occasion their sizing was a bit skewed (had to go for XL, normally L).

I find they take a while to bed in, but once that happens the fit is fantastic, it’s not helped by my somewhat wonky little finger.
D4525AD1-3BE9-4E05-9F5E-0324F03ECF75.jpeg
D4525AD1-3BE9-4E05-9F5E-0324F03ECF75.jpeg (1010.58 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
E1D38A52-83E3-4CE4-AA21-08A48FE0987A.jpeg
E1D38A52-83E3-4CE4-AA21-08A48FE0987A.jpeg (545.35 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."