Best Punk Song..

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: Best Punk Song..

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:10 pm
Oh yes. I was sifting through punk compilation albums for ideas, and found some right dross :D
Yeah there was a lot of shite.
I used to go into a record shop in town and buy albums without ever hearing them, usually it was based on something I'd seen in Thrasher or fanzines or stuff, but a lot of the time it was just shite. John Peel was a decent bet but even he put some shite stuff out from his sessions.

I thought the idea of "punk" was to look for something away from the mainstream, so if you called yourself punk or waited for TOTP to tell you what the best song was then you weren't really punk.
It was the same with the rave scene, when it was a bunch of us in a field it was fresh and different, but as soon as it started making it to the charts and drunks started turning up we moved on.

Now I have no clue what's going on and that's how it should be, young people should be creating new stuff away from the mainstream, I'm a boring old git and as soon as someone like me finds out about it then it's already past it's best.
Flux

Post by Flux »

Nidge wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:32 am that’s not real psychobilly
OTMAPP? :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just played this on Planet Rock :)

Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Flux wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:22 pm
Nidge wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:32 am that’s not real psychobilly
OTMAPP? :D
:mrgreen:

Funnily enough when moving house recently I found my (previously thought lost) Meteor Madness EP- on blue vinyl too!
Potter

Post by Potter »

I sold all my albums to buy drugs.
How punk is that.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:23 pm Just played this on Planet Rock :)

I was in the VANS shop in Stratford with my nipper yesterday I must have been the oldest person in there by at least 2 decades
They played this and I love the fact that even after seeing it for the first time on TOTP all those years ago I still have absolutely no idea what Richard Jobson is going on about
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

asmethurst99 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:24 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:23 pm Just played this on Planet Rock :)

I was in the VANS shop in Stratford with my nipper yesterday I must have been the oldest person in there by at least 2 decades
They played this and I love the fact that even after seeing it for the first time on TOTP all those years ago I still have absolutely no idea what Richard Jobson is going on about
The song's lyrics are notoriously unintelligible owing to Jobson's diction. This has been sent up in a television advertisement for Maxell audio cassettes which features printed (incorrect) "translations" of the words.[2] The chorus, often misquoted, is actually "Ahoy! Ahoy! Land, sea and sky".

Jobson has said that the lyrics were written about the recruitment of Scottish youths into the army and more specifically about a friend who had been killed whilst on a tour of duty in Northern Ireland.[3][4]

Local legend still persists that the valley mentioned is a reference to High Valleyfield, known locally as "the Valley", a village with a reputation for "mini warfare" between its residents and those of nearby towns and villages (namely Torryburn, Rosyth, Oakley and Inverkeithing), near Skids' home town of Dunfermline.[citation needed]
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Nidge wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 8:35 am Got to have at least a couple from Anti Nowhere League in any self-respecting punk list. I'd go with Woman and So What
They did a fairly decent version of Streets Of London that I have on one of those compilation albums somewhere upstairs.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

derek badger

Post by derek badger »

rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Eton rifles The JAm

i helped rig the JAm in Studio 2 at yorkshire TV In the seventies properly good day that was no miming either.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

My Intro to So-cal ska punk. Love a bit of Rancid

Interrupters on a similar vein
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Tenuous link as they were a punk band (Taxi) before becoming Giuda who have def punk vibes in places but with a huge dose of Glam, an odd mix I know. But they are one of my favourite new band finds in the last 10 years. And hopefully might find some followers, a couple of punk mates love em too. Live they are fucking awesome.

Potter

Post by Potter »

One of the better albums I bought on it's release without ever hearing it before.
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Anyone mentioned the Spiral Scratch EP yet?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

rodbargee wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:40 pm Eton rifles The JAm

i helped rig the JAm in Studio 2 at yorkshire TV In the seventies properly good day that was no miming either.
They were about as punk as Pam Ayres.

Punk was fresh and raucous rock.

Jam was lovely, lovely supermarket music :)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The Jam were more punkerer than The Style Council tho'
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Yorick wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:10 pm
DefTrap wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:37 am I must have been out of the country when punk was a thing and thus have never quite understood what all the fuss was about.

Take away all the "you had to be there" rose tinted spectacles stuff and there's a really high percentage of rubbish
Oh yes. I was sifting through punk compilation albums for ideas, and found some right dross :D
TBH the Virgin Best Punk Album in the World is a good place to start....
KungFooBob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:14 pm The Jam were more punkerer than The Style Council tho'
To be fair , Pink Floyd were more punky than the Style Council. Weller goes blued eyed soul and makes elevator music ... Dexy’s did the Northern Soul punks thing far better
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:14 pm The Jam were more punkerer than The Style Council tho'
Whatevs ;)
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

So, I was thinking about this the other night. Punk as a movement has been incredibly fluid over the years. From the DIY ethos of London and Manchester in the 70's to how the US took up the baton in the 80's and it splintered into NY hardcore*, DC straight edge*, ska punk etc. Then the 90s power pop-punk revival (both UK and stateside) and then the resurgence of the left-wing anti-establishment bands of the 00s and later. To pin a badge on any one band or song from such a diverse genre is impossible. So here's a playlist instead...

* BTW if anyone wants to know about these scenes there are a couple of decent short documentaries below: