Ducati Multistretta 1098S

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
millemille

Re: Ducati Multistretta 1098S

Post by millemille »

I 'ent ded yet.

Feeling loads better than I was, akin to having a head cold now but my mental capacity is definitely running slow.

Engine is all back together and fluid tight, turning over on the button with no faults logged on the dash. It's turning over slowly, but with brand new hi-comp pistons I'm not expecting - even with the Shorai lithium battery being in tip top condition- it to spin over vigorously.

It's ready to try starting it for real, but 'cos I'm still isolating I can't go out and get some fuel. Although I may be naughty and nip out tonight to the local garage that has automated pumps and fill a jerry can with some super unleaded....
millemille

Post by millemille »

It's not having it right now.

Turning over slowly with occasional pop and rumble like it's trying to catch but no joy on starting. My hunch is the starter motor is drawing too much current and dragging the battery voltage down so fuel pressure and spark are poor. Starter motor might be the culprit given its age/unknown provenance, I suspect it's a combination of less than optimum starter motor and battery (which is over 4 years old and has been unused for the last 3 years) and the hi-comp pistons and new rings causing a lot of load but I don't want to try starting it any more - risking sprag damage - until Nelly at Cornerspeed has taken a look at it.

So it's over to him next week.

Stay tuned....
millemille

Post by millemille »

Gordon's alive!

Skub

Post by Skub »

It lives master,it lives.

An epic thread in every way. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Nidge

Post by Nidge »

Good work! Did you get to the bottom of why it originally turned over too slowly? Just battery, or more than that?
millemille

Post by millemille »

Nidge wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:03 pm Good work! Did you get to the bottom of why it originally turned over too slowly? Just battery, or more than that?
I, on the advice of Nelly, replaced the lead between battery -ve and the engine with a longer one that is now attached to the bolt that secures the starter motor to the engine. I also junked the fuel I had in the tank because, although freshly bought from a local independent garage, I had my doubts about as it had absolutely no smell whatsoever and replaced it with 20 litres of Sainsbury's finest super unleaded.

I also used jump leads to hook the bike up to a spare battery I had knocking around and after a dozen or so attempts it fired up.

it now fires up without the extra battery but it is still turning over slower than I'd like so I'm going to buy a new battery.

It also definitely needs dyno set up as it's not fuelling right. I also need to look at the side stand switch as it's working arse about face at the moment...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Was gonna say, how 'long' is the path from the battery to the starter? But it seems your man is already on that case. You'll have to ride around with the battery from a diesel car bungeed to the passenger seat. :D

Is there such a thing as an uprated starter motor for this? I suppose it wouldn't matter if the issue is lack of amps.
millemille

Post by millemille »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:26 pm Was gonna say, how 'long' is the path from the battery to the starter? But it seems your man is already on that case. You'll have to ride around with the battery from a diesel car bungeed to the passenger seat. :D

Is there such a thing as an uprated starter motor for this? I suppose it wouldn't matter if the issue is lack of amps.
No, there's no uprated starter. It's the same starter motor across all the 1098 range including the cooking models, which have the same hi-comp pistons as mine.

The battery is 4 years old and has spent the last 3 years in a box, I'd guess that it's past its best so a new one is on the way.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

millemille wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:44 pm Gordon's alive!

Awesome!!! Congratulations
millemille

Post by millemille »

Working my way through the outstanding jobs and snagging all the little niggles that come to light with a bike like this. I've actually ridden it a couple of times now. Only 20 foot up the drive to put it on the road so the garage doesn't fill with exhaust fumes as I give the engine some heat cycles...

It's booked in at CJS in a couple of weeks time for dyno set up. Chris seems impressed with the bike, based on the photo's and video I've sent him. Once it's been on the dyno the bodywork will go on and then off for an MOT.

Starting to wonder what power it'll make on the dyno when Chris has finished with it. 150 bhp would be nice.....
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

146.9 at the wheel 👍
millemille

Post by millemille »

Took the opportunity to fit the bodywork...

...all good other than one glitch, the right hand side panel cracked the filler/paint where the radiator cap is hard up against the inside of the panel.

Not the end of the world and won't hold anything up. When my ban comes through I'll get the paintshop to sort it out, but until then a black sharpie will hide most of it.
millemille

Post by millemille »

Couchy wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:49 pm 146.9 at the wheel 👍
Way out....

Finished the day at 162bhp and 92ft/lb.

It's making power, increasing power, all the way to the rev limiter and we did discuss raising the rev limit by a few hundred rpm to see what it carried on to but the risk of engine damage vs. the fact it's making 20bhp more than I'd hoped for and had nearly double the power of the original engine wasn't worth it.

Stick the rest of the bodywork on over the weekend and MOT early next week and then I'm taking a couple of days off to get out on it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

That's a cracking number!
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Dayyum that’s a lot of power, more than the new V4 multi !, more than the S1000XR so prob the most powerful of its type 👍
millemille

Post by millemille »

Interestingly, the finished bike appears to be lighter, significantly lighter, than it was in the original guise.

Quoted dry weight for the 1100S is 196kg.

The finished bike weighs around 178kg wet (with about 15 litres of fuel in the tank).

I can only presume that the removal of the catalytic converter in the collector and the Termignoni silencer replacing the boat anchor OEM silencer and the aluminium fuel tank have, in combination, removed a massive chunk of weight and the extra weight of the radiator and coolant is still much less than the saved weight.

Either that, or my scales are on the fritz. It will get weighed as part of the MOT test later this week so we'll see which is right....
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

The Testastretta in the 2012-2014 Multistrada is supposedly good for 150 BHP but a lot less at the rear wheel so yours is doing very well :thumbup:

Without me going back through the entire thread what electronics have you managed to transplant across
millemille

Post by millemille »

Bigyin wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:26 pm The Testastretta in the 2012-2014 Multistrada is supposedly good for 150 BHP but a lot less at the rear wheel so yours is doing very well :thumbup:

Without me going back through the entire thread what electronics have you managed to transplant across
The standard 1098 ECU.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

millemille wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:45 pm
Bigyin wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:26 pm The Testastretta in the 2012-2014 Multistrada is supposedly good for 150 BHP but a lot less at the rear wheel so yours is doing very well :thumbup:

The standard 1098 ECU.
Cool, a lot less wires and sensors to worry about on the later bikes. Throttle cables and no fly by wire stuff and wheel speed sensors for traction control and all that malarkey :thumbup:
millemille

Post by millemille »

My lucky jubilee clamp has been installed in preparation for the MOT.

My lucky jubilee clamp brings me much luck when it comes to MOT's.

Regrettably, the only place I could fit my lucky jubilee clamp on the Multi was on one of the silencer outlets.

Sadly, I fear my lucky jubilee clamp may have obscured some writing around the silencer outlet.