Freedom

Anything you like about motorbikes
Dodgy69

Re: Freedom

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yep, very confusing.

However, if nothing changes between now and Wednesday, I will be out on my bike with the intention of finding a nice quiet spot, in the sun, to eat my sandwiches. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52620556

And the document also says:

People in England can drive to any location in the country - but not to other UK nations
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Haven't ridden my bike since Oct. But snapped yesterday and took it out for a 40 mile ride. The bike hadn't been started at all and whilst the battery was fully charged it took a while to fire either due to duff petrol or fuel system totally dry. Once it fired I thought sod it I'm taking it out to give it a run and also so I'd be down to half (from quarter) of a tank and could re-fill with fresh Esso Super (non ethanol).

I rode very steady and enjoyed it immensely. Now probably won't do it again for a good 3 weeks (maybe next lookdown review). Should I have done it? Probably not, but shoot me. I've left the house (other than local walk) 3 times in 8 weeks so feel I've kept to the rules mostly and bikers are supposed to break the rules now and again.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

No point trying to travel anywhere on a bike outside of England.

My interpretation, for what it’s worth, is that you are now able to travel places, not just for exercise as you are able to picnic, sit on benches etc. As long as you abide by social distancing when you get there.

My biggest worry at the moment is that, from what I am hearing and have seen, drivers are pretty much caning it and are not complying with speed limits. Wouldn’t want someone to hit us off because they’re being an idiot!
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Had a run out on the scoot (essential journey) a couple of weeks back, but my F800R hasn't turned a wheel or been fired up for some time now. It looks a right mess and is smothered in cobwebs and rain dust etc and thats on top of the diurty state it was in w hen I parked it up. I will clean it whilst I'm off though. Probably...
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 6:13 pm Had a run out on the scoot (essential journey) a couple of weeks back, but my F800R hasn't turned a wheel or been fired up for some time now. It looks a right mess and is smothered in cobwebs and rain dust etc and thats on top of the diurty state it was in w hen I parked it up. I will clean it whilst I'm off though. Probably...
I found the SH makes you lazy.

Ride it.

Stick it in the garage.

Repeat as necessary.

That's part of the reason I sold it,as I always used it for convenience and the Kawasaki wasn't getting a look in.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Scotsrich wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:55 am It’s all a matter of interpretation and until they change the regulations ( not advice) then they still stand.

This is from the Scottish version but I’m assuming the English is the same. There are a limited number of reasons for leaving the house and ‘exercise’ is one of them. No mention of how often/how far/whether you can take the car to exercise elsewhere.

As far as I know those regulations have not altered.

It’s how the police decide to interpret the rules and often they make rules up as they go along.
The Scottish version hasnt changed at all, just the UK version which only applies to England as Scotland, Wales and NI have all said its too early to relax things and kept the message exactly how it was before.

Boris on the other hand has issued a statement which has caused a lot of "interpretation" to the extent that even the leader of the Police Federation has said its impossible to police until more guidance is given by government.

Even in this thread there is confusion and differing opinions as to what is and is not allowed
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

From Wednesday, you can drive/ride anywhere within England as long as you return same day. No exercise required, non essential is ok, but always social distance 2 metres.

That'll do for me. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Dodgy knees wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:09 pm From Wednesday, you can drive/ride anywhere within England as long as you return same day. No exercise required, non essential is ok, but always social distance 2 metres.
As i said ....... differing interpretation and you have heard/read it a lot differently than i did so each to their own

Have fun enjoy the decent weather and cheap fuel ..... i even know somewhere to send you replacement tyres if you need them through mileage ;)
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Motorcycle test centres are expected to reopen on 7th June – though bookings can’t currently be made – and Bennetts has contacted the Department of Health to ask for general advice. The insurance company seems to think we can ride with some caveats:

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/n ... s-pandemic

Let's hope we present the right image to the world 🤞
McNab

Post by McNab »

Gimlet wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:40 pm Do what I've done. Write your car off and keep a roll bag and a tail pack permanently bungied to the bike.
Where are you going?
Tescos officer. I've got no car, this is my only transport.
Where do you live?
200 miles away but the cunts are out of cavolo nero.
Fair enough. Mind how you go.

If my chain hadn't snapped I'd have done about 2000 miles since lockdown.
That didn't work for the lads who were doing a 200 mile round trip for fish and chips.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Yep, Back in business from tomorrow

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/cor ... pkq45gwsLk
Skub

Post by Skub »

Jammy bastids. :cry:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Why is it all anti-government people don't want to use any common sense, or anyone else to use any common sense, if you don't think somethings safe, don't do it, the person responsible for your safety is you, not the government, try thinking for yourselves.
Honda Owner
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Julian_Boolean wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:14 pm Why is it all anti-government people don't want to use any common sense, or anyone else to use any common sense, if you don't think somethings safe, don't do it, the person responsible for your safety is you, not the government, try thinking for yourselves.
It's annoying isn't it.
Falcoholic

Post by Falcoholic »

The lipless, xenophobic, narcissistic, ginger dwarf says we're not allowed to go back to work or go out. She just wants to be different and more Scottishy than everyone else. I wonder, though, who she expects to pay for it given the £3.4 billion she got from Westminster seems to have disappeared without trace or explanation.

I have never despised a politician in my life as much as I despise Jimmy Krankie :x
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

Game On then.

Though I've been using my bike for shopping all along. I can get a week's essentials in a top box and two panniers. My navigation has gone to pot so find difficulty in getting back home.

Now I won't have my rehearsed lines ready "yes officer, look, here is my shopping".

But I'll have to be ready for "so who do you think you are, Barry Sheen". Or round Derbyshire, keep my eyes peeled for that van tucked into a lay-by to keep me safe.
Brian
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Falcoholic wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:43 pm The lipless, xenophobic, narcissistic, ginger dwarf says we're not allowed to go back to work or go out. She just wants to be different and more Scottishy than everyone else. I wonder, though, who she expects to pay for it given the £3.4 billion she got from Westminster seems to have disappeared without trace or explanation.

I have never despised a politician in my life as much as I despise Jimmy Krankie :x
In addition she's about to give the people of Scotland a foretaste of what a hard border with England will feel like. I wonder how that will go down.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I might ride to the Heybridge Basin for a walk along the sea wall Sunday morning I think. The tearoom won't be open but can take a thermos (do I own one :?: ). Normally at the time I get there it's not that busy and with everything shut probably less so. But one of the places I've been missing riding to so think I'll start there. My South coast and SW trips will have to wait until this all calms down and I can overnight.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 9:10 am I might ride to the Heybridge Basin for a walk along the sea wall Sunday morning I think. The tearoom won't be open but can take a thermos (do I own one :?: ). Normally at the time I get there it's not that busy and with everything shut probably less so. But one of the places I've been missing riding to so think I'll start there. My South coast and SW trips will have to wait until this all calms down and I can overnight.
Cafes are opening now for take-away. Our local ones anyway for sure