Portimao 29-31 May 2021. RTTL Extravaganza

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Dodgy69

Re: Portimao 29-31 May 2021. RTTL Extravaganza

Post by Dodgy69 »

Are you thinking more 2022 than 2021, even if it does go ahead.?
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:36 pm Are you thinking more 2022 than 2021, even if it does go ahead.?
I really really wish I could give you a useful answer to that but currently I can't. I'd 100% say yes, if it were just me. But Ceri is teetering on the edge of despair and If she doesn't get away this year I may end up under the patio.

But if the trip is already costing us £2000+ flights and spends I can't see me being happy throwing another 5,6,700 at it for civic testing. But in the flip side, I am really going to miss out on a trip like this for the sake of £700 say. Lol.

As I said, infection context I'm so much less concerned than I was 6-8 weeks ago. But I still forsee many restrictions being in place after only 8-10 days from flights opening. Plus we dint actually know if Portugal will be allowed from UK, or indeed if they'll let us in from the UK.

The problem of have is, I don't want to be the one who says yes or no and fucks it up for everyone either way. If I say we're going, no one cancels and we all lose £500-1000 because something happens a week before, that's a lot of responsibility for me to accept. More than I want.
There's also the fact of, what if Portimao isn't on in a time that works for us next year, I can't say yes we'll do Portimao then because of school stuff with the lad, that isn't possible.

If pushed, my preference 100% is "2022 trip" but I can't force people to that and indeed won't force people either way.

I'm afraid to a massive extent, we've all got to decide what's right or wrong for us as individuals.

The one thing I can say is, if I'm.not in Portugal this year, I will be on a euro trackday next year.

You may all be sitting there thinking "i don't give a fuck whether you're going or not" and you've made up your own minds and i'm sitting here with a self-inflated ego that because i instigated the trip, i'm 'in charge'. I'm not wanting or trying to be that person, not at all.

I know that in some ways is a flakey answer, but I'm honestly struggling with all of this, it's a lot of self-jnflicted responsibility
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I don't think you need to put any pressure on yourself.

We're all grown up and know the score.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

My own personal thoughts are 2022 is probably going to end up being the default option and that NL will make a decision at the end of March just before the final settlement date . If it’s just COVID testing then I would probably go ahead this year but any quarantine at either end would rule me out for sure this year
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:05 pm I don't think you need to put any pressure on yourself.

If you know anything from previous PEmbrey events etc you'll know, I DO... it's just me. When i arrange things, they go smoothly, even if it means i miss out. A few years ago i only did 1 session because a person turned up without leathers and i gave them my suit for the day, they did every session and only peeled themselves out of it at 4pm, but you know what, I was OK with that, because someone else who'd never expereineced a trackday before got to ride... When someone doesn't get food at Pembrey i feel that's down to me, or someone doesn't have a spare XYZ or fuel needs collecting, i arrange it... It's just my personality.

So this situation with Portimao is really hurting me personally, i lie awake at nights worrying about Mrs Weeksy missing out, all the boys missing out, half the boys missing out and feel i'm responsible for it. Obviously i'm not as i didn't bring the problems to us.... But i did start the discussions/topic/whatsapp and invited people, so in my book, i'm responsible.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

You're only responsible if you can have caused any problem.

I will bet 100% that not one member will be upset

You need to see that.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

weeksy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:10 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:05 pm I don't think you need to put any pressure on yourself.

If you know anything from previous PEmbrey events etc you'll know, I DO... it's just me. When i arrange things, they go smoothly, even if it means i miss out. A few years ago i only did 1 session because a person turned up without leathers and i gave them my suit for the day, they did every session and only peeled themselves out of it at 4pm, but you know what, I was OK with that, because someone else who'd never expereineced a trackday before got to ride... When someone doesn't get food at Pembrey i feel that's down to me, or someone doesn't have a spare XYZ or fuel needs collecting, i arrange it... It's just my personality.

So this situation with Portimao is really hurting me personally, i lie awake at nights worrying about Mrs Weeksy missing out, all the boys missing out, half the boys missing out and feel i'm responsible for it. Obviously i'm not as i didn't bring the problems to us.... But i did start the discussions/topic/whatsapp and invited people, so in my book, i'm responsible.
It's what makes you you. Whilst I know that saying what I'm about to won't make any difference to your head/sleepless nights/stress etc, but -

No one going would hold you responsible at all

But I totally understand what you are saying and why you feel that way

There's no 'hug' thingy so - huge hugs. And if it doesn't happen this year, more hugs xxxx

And what Yorick says

xxx
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

It's no ones fault, it's just a shitty situation, we all hoped covid would be sorted by trip time, but covid had different ideas. I reckon we need a decision date. God knows when NL will make one.

Maybe we ask everybody on say, april fools day 🙂 what they want to do, with the info we have by that date. If NL are still hanging on and covid looks likely to cause travel/ testing/quarantine issues, then those who want to bin it for this year can. Personally, I would bin it, if it doesn't all run as normal, from home to home. I can't see NL getting any definite, reliable news from the government, regarding the state of play at the end of May.

I think we can safely sit tight for another 4/5 weeks, then it's decision time. That's how I'm kind of thinking anyway, I think. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:17 pm You're only responsible if you can have caused any problem.

You need to see that.
Its rare, but occasionally you do actually talk some sense ;)

I agree with the ugly sunburnt Yorkshire man :thumbup:
G.P

Post by G.P »

Bigyin wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:11 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:17 pm You're only responsible if you can have caused any problem.

You need to see that.
Its rare, but occasionally you do actually talk some sense ;)

I agree with the ugly sunburnt Yorkshire man :thumbup:
lIkewise, Chill out, it is what it is and will be worked out one way or another, and none of it is your responsibility or fault weeksy.
You're already a winner as far as half of the Wiltshire contigent are conserned as a V2 and an 899 Panigale have been purchased by a couple of the guys who've been looking for an excuse to get one for years. One egged the other one and guy with the V2 isnt even booked for Portimao :banana-dance:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I look forward to hassling them in a months time over on the way for a pint of refreshment.
G.P

Post by G.P »

weeksy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 6:47 pm I look forward to hassling them in a months time over on the way for a pint of refreshment.
Well I'm sure there will be some test rides to be done too. I'll be interested to see what you think of the R1200S Beemer. ohlins shock at the funny front end, Ohlins shock rear rear, shafty, aircooled, 120bhp, lovely sounding laser exhausts..
I haven't ridden the 899 Pani yet but just sitting on it, it feels its illegal !
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Got the Ryanair mail, I’ll be taking the refund as then the only money at risk is the £369 deposit to NL. Personally my view on travelling abroad has changed since having Covid, it knocked me down in 2 days and I can’t imagine having it in a foreign country stuck in a hotel room without anyone looking after you or any access to the things you’d have at home. I’ve prob got some immunity but I’ll wait now till the world has more of a hold on it and we’ve had the jab. Look forward to 2022 though 👍
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Couchy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:42 pm Got the Ryanair mail, I’ll be taking the refund as then the only money at risk is the £369 deposit to NL. Personally my view on travelling abroad has changed since having Covid, it knocked me down in 2 days and I can’t imagine having it in a foreign country stuck in a hotel room without anyone looking after you or any access to the things you’d have at home. I’ve prob got some immunity but I’ll wait now till the world has more of a hold on it and we’ve had the jab. Look forward to 2022 though 👍
That's a real shame.
I don't agree with your risk assessment or logic, and you will be missed if I do go but I understand, ( and it gives me a minimum of another 12 months development time for the RC390, or whatever else I also bring along... :D ;) )
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

To be honest Steve its hard to say at the moment. If the government decide for instance you have to quarantine in a hotel then obviously we won't be able to go.

If its a test and they launch testing in airports etc (for instance) then we can go! Who knows yet I am afraid.

We won't be asking for any balances until we know the event is running.

Thanks
Had a few email exchanges with NL this morning. I asked questions about Quarentine and testing etc. Their answers are as i expected really, which as we know are pretty much impossible to say until we get more guidance from the Gov as to the flying / restrictions etc.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I suppose the paying balance concern has been eased a bit, but a lot still depends on what the situation will be in Portugal regarding hotels and social.
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:06 pm I suppose the paying balance concern has been eased a bit, but a lot still depends on what the situation will be in Portugal regarding hotels and social.
Absolutely mate. I think we just have to sit on our hands and wait really. I can't see realistically though NL waiting until the 17th May before deciding, that would just be crazy for everyone as we'd be dropping our bikes off only 5 days later on the 22nd LOL. But unless the government come up with an announcement a chunk earlier than expected... then, well, i'm not sure what we or NL do in honesty.

i'm just going to sit and think on it all, not spending the money we've put aside for the trip and getting ready for the trackdays we have before heading off to Portimao or not. We'll make sure the wife is ready, the ZX6R has fresh rubber fitted and we're all good to go. What does or doesn't happen, we'll see.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... /portugal/

Portugal really do seem to have got their act together again now, whilst their vaccinations may not exactly be flying, their infections, cases and deaths are doing pretty darn well. I also think with the 'Red Zone' stuff, Portugal will be removed from the list before/at the time. So i don't see the hotel quarentine being an issue.

The 2 things i see it coming down to are.
1. Vaccination passport required.
2. Cost of CV19 tests in and out.

Obviously most on here will be OK with 1..... But neither me or the wife are potentially going to have had it by then.
2... Well, it's only money, we've said to eachother if we have to pay £500 then we'll just do that....
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Well, I've booked the time off work but can cancel at short notice. 🙂
Yamaha rocket 3
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:54 pm Well, I've booked the time off work but can cancel at short notice. 🙂
Good point, not sure I've done mine, but it's no biggy either way as they're flexible