What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
v8-powered

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by v8-powered »

Gave the ST1050 a clean as it was at risk of returning to mineral deposits and disintegrating - gave it a splash of FS365 aftershave once clean.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Noggin wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:42 pm
Silly Car wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:37 pm Pottered around, bit of grocery shopping, played with dog, made dessert of dinner (milky bar cheesecake) and then prepared the main event (roast chicken with all the trimmings), noticed the oil bottle was running low so decanted a load to fill it up.

Dinner 99% ready, grabbed the plates and knocked the oil bottle, which decided to tumble onto the floor, shatter and spew a litre of oil all over the floor :angry-cussingblack:

Next 15 mins were spent cursing as I mopped up the broken glass and oil :( :(
Have much sympathy - I only knocked over 2 tablespoons of soy sauce in a little plastic measure! But DAMN it goes EVERYWHERE!!!! Up the cooker, onto the shelves in the cupboard, all over the floor!!! :( :( :(
It could have been worse, I could have also scolded my hand with chicken juices as I drained them into the tray, promptly dropping said chicken back into the tray and spraying the juices all over me and the kitchen.

No, I did that as well, at least Hugo and Rufus (pets) enjoyed cleaning the floor!

F.M.A.L.
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

OBO wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:44 pm
I wish..decided to spend a few years living in a motorhome exploring the Uk then the china virus arrived so we're confined to Devon/Cornwall area...could be worse! :1
Do you get much grief for being down here in a MH?
Newey

Post by Newey »

Well this is one I can now put a line through, stuck in a lift, had to wait for the owner to show to reset the breaker, thank goodness for mobile phones.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Silly Car wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 7:36 pm
Noggin wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:42 pm
Silly Car wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 6:37 pm Pottered around, bit of grocery shopping, played with dog, made dessert of dinner (milky bar cheesecake) and then prepared the main event (roast chicken with all the trimmings), noticed the oil bottle was running low so decanted a load to fill it up.

Dinner 99% ready, grabbed the plates and knocked the oil bottle, which decided to tumble onto the floor, shatter and spew a litre of oil all over the floor :angry-cussingblack:

Next 15 mins were spent cursing as I mopped up the broken glass and oil :( :(
Have much sympathy - I only knocked over 2 tablespoons of soy sauce in a little plastic measure! But DAMN it goes EVERYWHERE!!!! Up the cooker, onto the shelves in the cupboard, all over the floor!!! :( :( :(
It could have been worse, I could have also scolded my hand with chicken juices as I drained them into the tray, promptly dropping said chicken back into the tray and spraying the juices all over me and the kitchen.

No, I did that as well, at least Hugo and Rufus (pets) enjoyed cleaning the floor!

F.M.A.L.
Damn :( :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Got a call from the hospital my Stepmother is in, saying she has tested positive for covid. She already had Covid over Xmas when she was in hospital before and I was told they can't restest until after 90 days? So I said that to the Nurse on the phone and she said, yes but we have to mover her to an covid/isolation ward and inform relatives. I told her I saw my StepMother a week ago and asked if i was at risk. She wasn't sure (didn't know more like) and then said I should get tested and self isolate to be safe! Just had a test and I'm negative, so alls well there.

I'm confused. If you test positive, then you still have covid right? Why does it take up to 90 days to get out of your system? If you have covid, when are you safe to be around? Is it 10 days then it stops being transmissible? :crazy:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Taipan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:11 pm Is it 10 days then it stops being transmissible? :crazy:
That was my understanding, else you'd have to self isolate for 90 days.

Maybe for testing the virus remains int he body, albeit in minute and untransmissible amounts. Who knows?
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Started testing cameras at the Church but the HDMI to Ethernet extenders do not work with the capture card I have. So I will need to try something else I think...
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

gremlin wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:27 pm
Taipan wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:11 pm Is it 10 days then it stops being transmissible? :crazy:
That was my understanding, else you'd have to self isolate for 90 days.

Maybe for testing the virus remains int he body, albeit in minute and untransmissible amounts. Who knows?
I guess they're just being extra careful, but if it isn't transmissible now, why did they mover her to a different ward and are now swabbing everyone in the ward she was in as she may have exposed them to it? :hmmm: :?
formula400

Post by formula400 »

Collected MTB

Changing the plaster on my thumb, I was cutting some peppers last night and sliced the top off, bastard took about an hour to stop bleeding. I’ll stick to pastry from now on 🤣🤣🤣
Attachments
C30AF542-F82D-46A8-98D7-BE7EABA9D9C7.jpeg
C30AF542-F82D-46A8-98D7-BE7EABA9D9C7.jpeg (318.2 KiB) Viewed 1102 times
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

formula400 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:06 pm Collected MTB

Changing the plaster on my thumb, I was cutting some peppers last night and sliced the top off, bastard took about an hour to stop bleeding. I’ll stick to pastry from now on 🤣🤣🤣
Haha! Sorry but it reminds me of the local knife grinder.

I decided to get my ageing kitchen knives tidied up after years of abuse and to help ensure I treated my new Kin knives with the respect they deserve. Bob turns up, duly sharpens the various knives, returns them to me with the salutary warning of ‘watch your fingers, they are really sharp now’ and a nod that only a true tradesman would do.

Guess who posted a picture on Facebook that night, Bob with three cut fingers following grabbing one of his own knives in the washing up bowl :D His wall was awash with ‘watch your fingers, they are really sharp now’ comments as that must be what he says every time.

Yes they are sharp but not Kin sharp, but they are twice as thick, 20 years old and probably only worth 10% of the £2.50 each it cost to have them sharpened :mrgreen:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Today was a treat (sort of) with a supposedly good shop during the outing!!

Some friends were going to Albertville to pick up some skis, and said I could go with them so I could go to the Chinese shop and buy a couple of ingredients (I did also end up with a shopping list from some friends!! LOL)

Great drive out as a passenger - further than I've been in ages (apart from the train journey at the beginning of Jan to go to the hospital!) so I was happy

BUT - the Chinese shop is shut on Mondays. My friends also wanted to go to the 'troc' (I'm not totally sure what this is, but think it's like a junk shop!!) but that didn't open till after we left Albertville!

But they did stop at a local supermarket so I was able to get some tinned beansprouts! Not ideal as fresh are better, but fresh don't keep long so I'll live with tinned!

Then I moved a light and a shelf and put up another shelf :D :D

But forgot that Physio today was half hour earlier - luckily he called me so I was only 8 mins late!!! But damn it hurt - I've done a lot of DIY , stood out in the snow for 3 hours (damp and chilly :( - dry and cold doesn't hurt so much) and then did a big (for me) ski tour yesterday!! So the joint was quite stiff

BUT - the awesome bit was that the arm will go back over my head past the point it reached in rehab when the nerves didn't work!!!! So if I can get the muscles to work enough to do that for me, then I should be able to get my arm to approx 140 degrees :banana-dance: :banana-dance: :banana-dance:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Just had another online French lesson

Soooo frustrating as I often have to stop where I can't remember a word - ones that I know and I've learnt before but just can't remember :(

I learn a lot better by being in a class and writing as I learn but currently my setup here doesn't allow for me to do that, so it's difficult (hoping to change the set up in the next week to make this easier!)

I'm somewhat peeved cos of everywhere being closed, so my ability to pop into a cafe or bar that I know and just talk to people in English is reduced almost 100%. Almost because there are some places that are open for takeaway, so on the days I go and get a coffee or vin chaud I can talk in French a bit (if it's quiet) but it isn't the same as being able to sit somewhere surrounded by French language and chat

I do sometimes put the TV on French but because I rarely just sit and watch it, I'm not really paying attention so don't benefit a huge amount!!

Next lesson is Wednesday afternoon. Since I'm not getting a course in a classroom (since we are expecting another lockdown, the school won't organise one in case it's cancelled - they have done some for max 5 people, 6 with the tutor, but not at my level apparently :( ) I'm using my training grant on online lessons!! It's quite good as I've found a good teacher but frustrating as I get very little practice and it's not how I learn best :(

Best laid plans and all! LOL :angry-cussingblack:

But, since this year's training grant is even bigger, I can do these lessons 3 x a week for a while and still be able to go have the course in the classroom when they can get a group together at my level!!

Must try harder - need to get out early and go get a coffee from the nice guy in the cafebar we all used to use. He speaks enough English that we can help each other when one of us doesn't know the right words!! And they do good hot chocolate :mrgreen: :banana-dance:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Taipan wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:01 pm Took delivery of my chimney balloons! :D If my dog doesnt dead it, it’ll go in later!

Well that was money in the bank! The room is much warmer for having one of them stuffed up the chimney. :thumbup:
Skub

Post by Skub »

That's Santa borked for 21. :(
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Skub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:38 pm That's Santa borked for 21. :(
Santa wears stilettos when in Essex :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Horse wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 pm
Skub wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:38 pm That's Santa borked for 21. :(
Santa wears stilettos when in Essex :)
I'm not gonna ask how you know that.... :silent:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 am Not today but tomorrow I have to interview for the role that I have been doing for thirteen months. Failure is not an option. It's unlikely that I will mess it up but it's possible. It will be a remote interview and a good excuse to dress up and I can drink my own coffee. It's also reassuring that the role has been signed off permanently and that our business is staying afloat (I work in private healthcare).

No need to wish me luck, I am sure you do. Just sayin' so that you have a drink ready to help me celebrate :)
Drinks are on me :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Lockdown refugee
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Had 3 phone calls from the hospital abut my StepMother today.

First up is a general update. She's doing well and they expect her to be ready for for release by the end of the week. I request they make sure i'm informed as I'll need to get fresh milk in etc. No problem, they'll add the request to her notes.

Second call from the Physiotherapist. Just an update to say her mobility is improved greatly and her assessment is complete and single carer call will suffice for when she returns home. She is happy to release her for discharge and will report that back either later today or tomorrow. I ask when do they normally act on her report. She said the Doctor will then have to write up something or other (I couldn't hear it clearly), but normally within the next day or two. I ask to be kept in the loop as I have to get shopping in etc. She promises to do so.

Last call was ten minutes ago from the discharge Nurse, to say its good news "Mum" is coming home today and will I be there to see her in? I question and confirm who were talking about as it could be a mix up, but no it is my StepMother were talking about. I said no I probably wont be there, but will take shopping in this afternoon after 2 o'clock. Ambo has been requested and could be anytime! Good job i'm not at work! Right, i'd better fire up the Bimmer...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:44 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:55 am Not today but tomorrow I have to interview for the role that I have been doing for thirteen months. Failure is not an option. It's unlikely that I will mess it up but it's possible. It will be a remote interview and a good excuse to dress up and I can drink my own coffee. It's also reassuring that the role has been signed off permanently and that our business is staying afloat (I work in private healthcare).

No need to wish me luck, I am sure you do. Just sayin' so that you have a drink ready to help me celebrate :)
Drinks are on me :obscene-drinkingcheers:
8 pints of lager please. And well done :)