RTTL : Pembrey trackday extravaganza 2021. August 20/21/22.

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: RTTL : Pembrey trackday extravaganza 2021. August 20/21/22.

Post by weeksy »

Trinity765 wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:37 am This however, I can't do. I am one of lifes overthinkers. I think about stuff until I think of something to think about. The best I can do is keep quiet as that way, no one knows I'm doing it :thumbup:
Nothing at all wrong with thinking, nothing wrong with over-thinking, that's how it is, this is a big boys sport with big boys toys (and girls of course).

It requires thought, both before, during and indeed after. But don't get too wrapped up in certain aspects, control what you can control, do what you can do. But at the end of the day, you can ride a motorbike, you can go round corners, that's all it essentially is. It's riding a bike on some tarmac. You don't crash every time you go out, so no reason you'd crash this time too.

If you've got questions though, don't keep them inside. We as a group have been doing this for 6-7 years now and have nursed 20+ complete novices to track riding who've all gone on to really enjoy the bike and track stuff. As riders, many of us have been doing track stuff for 20 years, we've got tonnes and tonnes of experience. There's no question you can ask we've not all seen before
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

You will absolutely love it @Trinity765 ,

No need to worry about anything, just make sure you take all you need, leathers, licence etc. Your bike will love it aswel. 🙂👍

Mrs Weeksy and one or two other ladies will give you plenty of female support and encouragement, along with the lads.

Imo and to sum it up, its the best part of biking in concentrate form. Fast see thru corners with plenty of grip and no one coming the other way.

Enjoyment guaranteed.
Yamaha rocket 3
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

First of all, relax. Always keep arms loose so that you can steer. It's very easy to tense up when approaching a corner at speed, but make sure you wiggle your arms as often as possible.
It's important to learn the track as quickly as possible so you aren’t just bimbling along like a Sunday ride.
Look for the rumble strips. That’s where you should be. They will show you the entry point, apex and exit points.
Exit speed is far more important than entry speed, so when you turn in, concentrate on getting the exit right. You should know where the next corner is, so exit each turn thinking about where to be on track to be set up right for the next bend. Or if next corner is a while away, concentrate on getting the bike upright as soon as possible to get the power down.
Basically, think one corner ahead.

Don’t start mega braking straight away. Find a nice place for each corner, then when you’re happy, brake 10-15m later each lap. You’ll be amazed how late you can actually brake

I was gonna do a corner by corner analysis, but I found this one by another Sweaty, who was quite good. It’s all good advice, apart from Brooklands Hairpin. His advice there is too advanced for novices. Take a wide sweep into it and a very late apex so you hit the straight with your bike as upright as possible to get good drive. His line on the diagram shows this, but can be exaggerated a little more.

Look at the diagrams for each corner and follow the dotted line. I had those for every circuit in the UK. Look at them to see how the corner works and also see how one corner flows into another.

https://www.visordown.com/features/moto ... de-pembrey

The only thing to add is that a late apex at Brooklands hairpin, is much better for the average rider :)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:28 pm Here's a decent enough track guide.

https://www.visordown.com/features/moto ... de-pembrey

The only thing to add is that a late apex at Brooklands hairpin, is much better for the average rider :)
Yorick posted this on the thread for last years event for me as i was the only one who had not been on the track before. I saw it a late Friday night and read it through a few times before we went to the circuit Saturday morning. It did help and he is right that the late apex at Brooklands makes it easier for someone like me to get on the exit better ;)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

So seriously, having read that guide, how do you guys know which gear you're in? On the road I don't really keep track of which number is selected, it's just "too high" or "too low".

I can tell when I'm in top and bottom pretty easily - e.g. the revs are too high on the motorway or that you're about to try and select 7th, or you feel like you're gonna stall coming to a stop - but 4th or 5th etc? Nah, I don't think I've ever tried to remember.

The only way I can think to do it on track would be to literally say it aloud in my helmet every time I change :D Do you 'just know' or do you count or what?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:11 pm So seriously, having read that guide, how do you guys know which gear you're in? On the road I don't really keep track of which number is selected, it's just "too high" or "too low".

I can tell when I'm in top and bottom pretty easily - e.g. the revs are too high on the motorway or that you're about to try and select 7th, or you feel like you're gonna stall coming to a stop - but 4th or 5th etc? Nah, I don't think I've ever tried to remember.

The only way I can think to do it on track would be to literally say it aloud in my helmet every time I change :D Do you 'just know' or do you count or what?
Most/many bikes these days have a gear indicator.. You can also buy them as aftermarket items. But mostly, 'feel' is also the answer.

As you lap more you'll find, ok, hairpin, 2nd gear, as you're coming up the right, snick into 3rd, then hold 3rd till you're exiting the long left, then click 4th for the drive up to the right, hold 4th in there and then down into 3rd for the old hairpin. So if you do that lap after lap the difference between being in say 2nd on the right after the hairpin compared to 3rd would be a good 3-4000rpm, so you're either sitting at say 5000rpm or 8-9000rpm depending on which once you've picked, as you can imagine that's quite a difference so is fairly easy to work out.

Essentially speaking it doesn't matter what gear it is, more the rpm and the usable range of the bike. Some want more rpm, some like less...

I do personally find gear indicators really useful though.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've only ever ridden one bike with a gear indicator, my Dad's old Fireblade had an aftermarket one - on the road I only really found it useful for not trying to select 7th :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:27 pm I've only ever ridden one bike with a gear indicator, my Dad's old Fireblade had an aftermarket one - on the road I only really found it useful for not trying to select 7th :D
Well the reply to that, depends on your preference and thoughts on riding other people's bikes, but you can certainly have a try of any I bring, which will have gear indicators
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

It’s Pembrey, not the Isle of Man.
Three laps and you’ll know which way to go on the lever.
Top tip from me is don’t try going for Seventh. Everybody does. There’s no shame in it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Sure, it was more of a general Q. Pembrey has fewer corners than my local Kart track :D

Besides, I'm probably gonna do Silverstone or Bedford soon (they're near me) which are a lot longer!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:05 pm Sure, it was more of a general Q. Pembrey has fewer corners than my local Kart track :D

Besides, I'm probably gonna do Silverstone or Bedford soon (they're near me) which are a lot longer!
4th may.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Gears...I'd simply say that you want to be in the gear that pulls hardest from corner. Some bikes, this will be in a different rev range, well that's what I do anyway. Don't always get it right though. 🤷‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I'd worry more about where the track goes than what gear you're in, you've got an 800cc (ish) four stroke, not an 80cc two stroke.
Honda Owner
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:33 pm I'd worry more about where the track goes than what gear you're in, you've got an 800cc (ish) four stroke, not an 80cc two stroke.
Normally a Day on the Track would be on a 2 Stroke where it’s critical to get it right. I’m in a rhythm and know how many ups and downs for where I’m on the Track.Did Brands last year on the thumper twin and it wouldn’t have mattered much if I’d just selected 4th and gone for it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:33 pm I'd worry more about where the track goes than what gear you're in, you've got an 800cc (ish) four stroke, not an 80cc two stroke.
Right, right, left, left, right, right, right, right.

Done!

;)

Fortunately I live in MK and hence am already a pro at turning right.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:27 pm I've only ever ridden one bike with a gear indicator, my Dad's old Fireblade had an aftermarket one - on the road I only really found it useful for not trying to select 7th :D
I had a gear indicator fitted to my first Blackbird - it was rubbish!! Didn't seem to react well at all. But, that was about 17 years ago, so I'd hope technology would have improved some since then!!

I used to count my gears in the first session or two on most track days just to know what the bike liked, then just went by feel. But I wasn't very quick, so that might not be the best way!! :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:11 pm So seriously, having read that guide, how do you guys know which gear you're in? On the road I don't really keep track of which number is selected, it's just "too high" or "too low".

I did read the guide but the question of following the gear guide was out of the window once i got out on track as i was too busy learning the track and what my bike felt like on track. I started off using too high a gear in some corners which made the exit slower as the bike took a little longer to pull.

My bike has a gear indicator as part of the LCD dash but i stopped trying to use it as i didnt want to be looking down at the dash as i found it distracting and did better just using feel and sorting it from there. I am no expert but i found that easier but i know there is more work required on my part in future as this was my first crack at it.

As a result of the trackday i also know i am more crap at left handers than i am on right handers :D
twids

Post by twids »

It's fantastic you're all going to try and make this happen again, I'd love to come but it's smack bang between my two kids birthdays which means we're usually having a joint party that weekend.

But you never know if spectators are allowed we may try and pop down, should be a bit less of a drive too if our house move to Wales has gone through by then.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I think a more useful indicator for track is the rev limit light . Change gear now light. Whatever its name is. 🤔 I've not always heard the bike wants another gear and I'm on the limiter too long. Rider error probably. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:56 am I think a more useful indicator for track is the rev limit light . Change gear now light. Whatever its name is. 🤔 I've not always heard the bike wants another gear and I'm on the limiter too long. Rider error probably. 👍
My FZR400 doesn't have a rev limiter, I looked down at the rev counter at Cadwell and I was 1000 rpm into the red, the bike didn't explode so I now rev it until the power goes flat, about 15,500 rpm. I don't look at the instruments on track, I doubt if I'd notice if the temperature gauge was in the red or the oil light was on.
Honda Owner