Dakar ....time for a racing fix

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Yorick

Re: Dakar ....time for a racing fix

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:44 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:06 pm I found out today that on Spanish TV, they have a 90 minute show every day. I wonder why Eurosport only show a 30 minute jobby ?
Because Eurosport deal with a lot of countries that dont really give a shit about bikes and rally raid, Spanish TV love motorsports and bike racing of any sort. i did say you would probably find better coverage on Spanish TV

When you have people like Marquez, Rins and Mir on billboards and every petrol station forecourt smiling back at you and yet in the UK its a minority sport and the vast majority of the population when asked about a bike racer will answer Barry Sheene or Valentino Rossi (maybe)
D'oh. I missed the bleeding obvious :mrgreen:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

So then , who fancies racing on desert and rocks for 300 KM on this year tyre and ended up only 5 minutes down on the stage winner ? :wtf:

Split in the tyre but the mousse was intact and in previous years the team leader like Toby Price would wait for a lower ranked team mate to arrive, take his wheel and that rider would wait for the next etc etc and carry on down the chain till the privateer came along who had agreed to help the works team but had nobody to give him a wheel and would be left by the wayside to ride in on a rim.

This year you have 6 tyres and no swapping between team riders so improvise and adapt to get back to the end of the stage. When he arrived at the end of the stage there was a single cable tie left holding the tyre together which is why he backed off a bit :shock:

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I gave up again after 5 progs. So short time on the bikes, it was hard to keep up and recognise the riders. It wouldn't really have mattered which order the programs were shown.

Sorry :(
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:20 pm I gave up again after 5 progs. So short time on the bikes, it was hard to keep up and recognise the riders. It wouldn't really have mattered which order the programs were shown.

Well, at least you tried, i bet Spanish TV had better coverage...... i tend to read stuff on line as well about the rally so probably get into it more.

If you want a longer , all bike thing to watch then have a look at this one as its a proper Yorkshire lad Lyndon Poskitt and his efforts in the 2018 Dakar in the Malle Moto class with no outside help and servicing his own bike on every stage from entering, build up and his highs and lows

Proper hard core ;)

Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'll be watching that later. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:42 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:20 pm I gave up again after 5 progs. So short time on the bikes, it was hard to keep up and recognise the riders. It wouldn't really have mattered which order the programs were shown.

Well, at least you tried, i bet Spanish TV had better coverage...... i tend to read stuff on line as well about the rally so probably get into it more.

If you want a longer , all bike thing to watch then have a look at this one as its a proper Yorkshire lad Lyndon Poskitt and his efforts in the 2018 Dakar in the Malle Moto class with no outside help and servicing his own bike on every stage from entering, build up and his highs and lows

Proper hard core ;)

I can't get the Spanish channel. And if I could, my Spanish isn't good enough to follow.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Just watched it all. Brilliant. Good post Rob. Have read stuff about him before and this does give a great insight into Malle moto world. They really are a determined bunch, to go through that shit when the body says no.

Ace. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yup, sad news i read elsewhere today. Strange that the BBC completely ignore the race unless there is a fatality and cover that :(