Dakar ....time for a racing fix

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
Bigyin

Dakar ....time for a racing fix

Post by Bigyin »

For those of you who dont follow the Dakar over the years now might be a good intro to it. Slightly shorter than before and began today with the 1st of 12 stages in the Saudi desert. Take your pick from bikes, cars , buggies and trucks. Tjis year they have added a classic class for cars from rallies pre 2000.

The real heroes of the assorted classes of Dakar as we all know are the bikes and within those the "Originals" formerly known as Malle Moto. Rider on his own, doing all his own maintenance and prep and repairs. The organisation feeds them, provides medical help and carries a box of spares and tent from stage to stage so its their when and if the rider eventually makes it in after a 750km day in the dunes so he or she can fix and re prep the bike ready for a 6am start the following day

Follow the progress with highlight programmes each night about 9 or 10 pm on Eurosport :thumbup:

We might even have another British winner in Sam Sunderland who most fans of bike racing will never have heard of but is a former Dakar winner and consistent winner and podium place in the Rally Raid events

Yorick

Re: Dakar ....time for a racing fix

Post by Yorick »

I watched last year but only about half way. Dunno, just gave up.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:12 pm I watched last year but only about half way. Dunno, just gave up.
Now you are a dirt rider you will realise just how good these guys are on sand and gravel......Over 100 mph on the flats looking for tiny dips that will throw them for 100m arse over tit , blind crests on dunes, rocks that look like soft sand etc etc ;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:03 am
Yorick wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:12 pm I watched last year but only about half way. Dunno, just gave up.
Now you are a dirt rider you will realise just how good these guys are on sand and gravel......Over 100 mph on the flats looking for tiny dips that will throw them for 100m arse over tit , blind crests on dunes, rocks that look like soft sand etc etc ;)
Oh yes, they are truly amazing, but it lost interest after a week. Will try hard this year sir.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:04 am
Oh yes, they are truly amazing, but it lost interest after a week. Will try hard this year sir.
There is fuck all else to watch so i look forward to the highlight programmes each evening and they never fail to impress me. The factory lads for just how fast they are and the malle moto for just how resilient they are :thumbup:

And there are cars and other stuff too :)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:08 am
Yorick wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 12:04 am
There is fuck all else to watch so i look forward to the highlight programmes each evening and they never fail to impress me. The factory lads for just how fast they are and the malle moto for just how resilient they are :thumbup:

And there are cars and other stuff too :)
O.k.. What channel is it on ?
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Found this but not sure how good it is.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme ... ode-guide/
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:15 pm
From the first post at the top ;)
Bigyin wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:37 pm
Follow the progress with highlight programmes each night about 9 or 10 pm on Eurosport :thumbup:
In all seriousness Spanish TV will probably have its own coverage as they like bike sport a whole lot more than UK telly ;)
Skub

Post by Skub »

I painted a door today,now I need to watch it drying. :P
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:04 pm I painted a door today,now I need to watch it drying. :P
Bog Hopping Heathen :obscene-birdiedoublered:

;)
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:01 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:15 pm
From the first post at the top ;)
Bigyin wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:37 pm
In all seriousness Spanish TV will probably have its own coverage as they like bike sport a whole lot more than UK telly ;)
We do have Eurosport here :)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:04 pm I painted a door today,now I need to watch it drying. :P

I really hope this video works ..... Balls of steel at that speed on sand :banana-dance:

Yorick

Post by Yorick »

OK, I've caught up on the first 3 stages. At first I was pissed off with all the waffle and padding, but that's eased off a bit.

What I did find interesting was that we have all the terrain that they ride on, here on our little island. Rocky paths, stoney sections, big sand dunes and open desert. Every time we go out for 3 or 4 hours, we have a little Dakar race ourselves . When we hit the desert and the big dunes, we tend to have a little play :mrgreen:

Nothing I saw that I wouldn't have a go at. Obviously much slower, but I have learned a lot by following my pals who have been doing it 20 years

Anybody fancy popping over here for a long weekend ? :banana-wrench:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:42 pm OK, I've caught up on the first 3 stages. At first I was pissed off with all the waffle and padding, but that's eased off a bit.

What I did find interesting was that we have all the terrain that they ride on, here on our little island. Rocky paths, stoney sections, big sand dunes and open desert. Every time we go out for 3 or 4 hours, we have a little Dakar race ourselves . When we hit the desert and the big dunes, we tend to have a little play :mrgreen:

Nothing I saw that I wouldn't have a go at. Obviously much slower, but I have learned a lot by following my pals who have been doing it 20 years

Anybody fancy popping over here for a long weekend ? :banana-wrench:
Try that terrain at your track speeds at somewhere like Mallory as its not a top speed circuit ...... thought you might like it more once you realised it was similar terrain to where you play ;)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I enjoy it. 2 wheels init. I think navigation is a big part of it. No L/H turn at the red lion sort of thing, so wasting time going the wrong way is very popular.

I've never rode on sand, but they seem to glide the front, keeping it pinned and weight back. Look for the flattest route through, how hard can it be.? 😉

God knows how the chains cope. Yep, it's a good watch. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:59 am

I've never rode on sand, but they seem to glide the front, keeping it pinned and weight back. Look for the flattest route through, how hard can it be.? 😉
Same technique on mountain bike on the dunes i ride on. weight over the back, front light and choose a gear where you are spinning a lot and go for it...... sometimes it even works, sometimes you bog down or end up on your arse :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:41 pm
Dodgy knees wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:59 am

Same technique on mountain bike on the dunes i ride on. weight over the back, front light and choose a gear where you are spinning a lot and go for it...... sometimes it even works, sometimes you bog down or end up on your arse :D
All of the above :mrgreen: :banana-wrench:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Dakar bikes are doing about 90mph on sand, I don't think I've been that quick on sand, but I have been 70 mph on sand, btw the dryer the sand the harder it is to ride on, wet sand isn't particularly difficult, anyway the knack is to go fast enough to skim over the top, keep the front end light (your bum should be on the back mudguard) and try not to brake or slam the throttle closed, small, smooth control movements are the key.

Also remember a fully fuelled Dakar bike probably weighs over 200KG, a fully fuelled DRZ400 weighs 150KG and a two stroke enduro bike is a lot lighter than that.

I have seen someone do half a loop in sand and land on their head with the bike (a DR200) on top of them, this was on a beach in Crete.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I found out today that on Spanish TV, they have a 90 minute show every day. I wonder why Eurosport only show a 30 minute jobby ?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 11:06 pm I found out today that on Spanish TV, they have a 90 minute show every day. I wonder why Eurosport only show a 30 minute jobby ?
Because Eurosport deal with a lot of countries that dont really give a shit about bikes and rally raid, Spanish TV love motorsports and bike racing of any sort. i did say you would probably find better coverage on Spanish TV

When you have people like Marquez, Rins and Mir on billboards and every petrol station forecourt smiling back at you and yet in the UK its a minority sport and the vast majority of the population when asked about a bike racer will answer Barry Sheene or Valentino Rossi (maybe)