Paddock stands, bike lifts etc.

Tips, tricks, questions and answers to tech questions
Mr. Dazzle

Paddock stands, bike lifts etc.

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Whats the latest and greatest with these then?

I have a few jobs I need to do which involve suspending bikes to various degrees and I am not sure what to get. As an example....

I have a CBR600 (conventional box section swingarm) which I need to remove both wheels from to get tyres. I also want to replace the rear shock and forks. This bike has a centre stand so I could probably fudge my way through if needed.

I also have a Speed Triple with a SSSA that I plan to completely strip/rebuild, right down to getting the frame powder coated. I.e. everything out. No centre stand.

I currently have a paddock stand just for the Speed Triple, it's the kind which slots into the rear wheel hub.

What would be the best/most universal way of picking these bikes up?
KungFooBob

Re: Paddock stands, bike lifts etc.

Post by KungFooBob »

ABBA stand innit.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Wot he said
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They go in the swingarm pivot right?

I suppose if I am taking the swigarm out I can remove the rest of the bike first so it's light enough to manhandle. :D
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:12 am They go in the swingarm pivot right?

I suppose if I am taking the swigarm out I can remove the rest of the bike first so it's light enough to manhandle. :D
There's an optional kit that replaces the footrests with ABBA mounts so you can remove the swingarm.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Constands don't mount through swingarm mount. But through frame mount points. So may work better.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I use one similar to this:

I've successfully lifted bikes from a Honda SLR650 to a Norton ES2 via Guzzi V50, Matchless G80 etc. I have had to make timber bases to support the crankcases on some however.

It works well, is easy to stow under the bench when not in use and is reasonably stable with the bike tied down. If space is limited you can also shuffle the whole thing sideways to get access to both sides. Mine was about £80.
Ian.
1952 Norton ES2
1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Is this a bit too old school?

Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Skub

Post by Skub »

I've Harris paddock stands for normal stuff,anything else the Abba stand comes out.

Really the Abba can do it all,but I had the Harris stuff from way before it arrived.

The Skylift thing Abba do looks useful,especially if you don't have a ramp/lift.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

With Abba stands, when you're doing front end stuff I guess you just put something under the headers, shove a bag of cement on the pillion seat etc?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 1:25 pm With Abba stands, when you're doing front end stuff I guess you just put something under the headers, shove a bag of cement on the pillion seat etc?
Abba stand front wheel lift kit :)

Image2019-06-07_07-31-22 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Genuine ABBA strap too? ;)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

yes, comes with the kit.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

iansoady wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:59 am I use one similar to this:

I've successfully lifted bikes from a Honda SLR650 to a Norton ES2 via Guzzi V50, Matchless G80 etc. I have had to make timber bases to support the crankcases on some however.

It works well, is easy to stow under the bench when not in use and is reasonably stable with the bike tied down. If space is limited you can also shuffle the whole thing sideways to get access to both sides. Mine was about £80.
What's the weight limit on this lift? I need one for 250kg plus.
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I can't remember exactly but well over that.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Parents have bought me an ABBA stand with front lift kit for Crimbo. Cheers peeps. :D

Should be just about perfect for getting 2 new tyres, new shock and new forks bits onto the CBR.
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

It depends what you're after or need. I've always suffered from lower backache after working on bikes. I went for the Abba Skylift and no longer have that issue. I use it on three bikes so just need the different adaptors which just slip in place. The Skylift doesn't just give the benefit of having the bike at the height you need it for a task but can go arse up or nose up. Also great for moving a bike around when up and being worked on. I've used this flexibility for a few things. In this case, it was cleaning out the disk bobbins. I totally recommend one. However, I do also have paddock stands as sometimes I just want the bike up for a quick chain lube etc and the Abba does take a bit longer to get sorted.
20200219_175702 (Small).jpg
20200219_175702 (Small).jpg (162.89 KiB) Viewed 1259 times
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Another vote for the Abba Skylift here. You can do jobs with the Skylift that would be next to impossible with other stands. As an example, I needed to get the shock off my KTM Duke 690 to fit a different spring so i used the skylift in the 'stoppie' position. The back of the bike wasn't far off the ceiling. It would have been a pig of a job even with the conventional Abba stand, as the shock has to come out from underneath and the rear wheel has to be at maximum compression (I used a ratchet strap through the wheel and round the subframe.) I was able to do the job in complete comfort sat on a stool next to the bike and it took about half an hour to remove and re-fit the shock.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:56 pm Another vote for the Abba Skylift here. You can do jobs with the Skylift that would be next to impossible with other stands. As an example, I needed to get the shock off my KTM Duke 690 to fit a different spring so i used the skylift in the 'stoppie' position. The back of the bike wasn't far off the ceiling. It would have been a pig of a job even with the conventional Abba stand, as the shock has to come out from underneath and the rear wheel has to be at maximum compression (I used a ratchet strap through the wheel and round the subframe.) I was able to do the job in complete comfort sat on a stool next to the bike and it took about half an hour to remove and re-fit the shock.
For shock I just used the grab rails and ratchet straps on the rafters. 10 mins
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

iansoady wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:59 am I use one similar to this:

Damn that looks awesome! I've got a front/headstock stand and a normal rear stand. But that one looks awesome!! :banana-wrench:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: