Tool purchases

What non motorbike related things are you doing, making, building, planning or designing
David

Re: Tool purchases

Post by David »

Huh! Imperial humour....
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Needed some cheap/disposable scrapers. Bought these, then I dressed the blades & turned them into keepers.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-s ... 4wEALw_wcB
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Just got a shorty screwdriver/bit holder.
Its made by Tengtools and the kind of thing thats sometimes handy for adjusting the speed settings of door closers when theres a low door reveal too close to the closer for a normal length screwdriver*
The photos perspective doesn't show perfectly but its only about 45mm long (or about 1/10th of a cubit to our elderly or American cousins) and has a 1/4" hex for screwdriver bits and square drive for small sockets on the ends.

Its got one of those gearless ratchet mechanisms with what I guess is a roller clutch?
Handy for getting into small spaces as long as youre not putting masses of torque on it.
I have a Snap On shorty ratchetting screwdriver which is possibly the nicest to use I've ever owned but its still sometimes too long so got this.

*Usually when some chull tip has insisted on having the closer fitted Regular Arm instead of the simpler, faster and neater Parallel Arm way. There are sometimes good reasons to do it regular arm but usually its just done cos the gaffa doesn't understand how parallel arm works and screams and screams til he's sick about it.
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

Just bought a new soldering iron, the old one should re appear any day now.

Noggin

Post by Noggin »

v8-powered wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:06 am Pocket sized Wera socket set, its great!
That looks awesome!!! Might have to save up for one for the apartment - could get rid of a selection of other stuff then!! LOL

v8-powered wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:06 am
derek badger wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:13 am
v8-powered wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:06 am Pocket sized Wera socket set, its great!
That 10mm socket will soon be lost...
I must be unique as I have a good stock of 10mm sockets, its 13mm spanners I have an issue with....
I need to buy a couple of spare 10mm for the big tool box in the garage!! :roll:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I do need to buy (in the spring - not mechanicking in the winter!!) a new ratchet 'handle' thingy for using with the sockets. The medium sized one I have, the thing that changes the direction has broken :(

Given I'm not professional and am somewhat kak-handed, any recommendation for brands types etc? Think it's a 1/4 inch square fitting but need to check
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Druid

Post by Druid »

Halfords Pro stuff is excellent value, dunno if you can get it in France though. Otherwise Teng, Wera, Facom are good buys
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Druid wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:07 pm Halfords Pro stuff is excellent value, dunno if you can get it in France though. Otherwise Teng, Wera, Facom are good buys
I have got some Halfords Pro stuff. If I don't need it before I visit I might go for a little shop when I eventually visit next year!! LOL

I'll put the other names on my list

Thank you :)
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

Bosch "multitool". Like a big uncomfortable vibrator (steady).

It gets into places no other tool can, performs cuts no other tool is able. Don't use it much but when you need to make a particular cut, nothing else is capable.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Nice! I’ve got a 240v one, it is exactly as you’ve outlined:

Need to cut a copper pipe that is tight to the wall, multi tool it.
Need to trim laminate flooring back in a door frame, multi tool it
Need to open up a hole in a plasterboard wall but done want to snag wires with a pad saw, multi tool it

The detail sander attachment is pretty good as well.
rossm

Post by rossm »

A set of extra long/stubby allen keys, great for when you can't get in with a normal length one

demographic

Post by demographic »

DEADPOOL wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:16 pm Bosch "multitool". Like a big uncomfortable vibrator (steady).

It gets into places no other tool can, performs cuts no other tool is able. Don't use it much but when you need to make a particular cut, nothing else is capable.
The one I have for work is made by Hitachi looks like this...

Not one of these though, thats a different Hitachi multitool altogether.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

demographic wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:11 pm
The one I have for work is made by Hitachi looks like this...
Mine looks like this:

There are times when it's the only tool for the job. I would have preferred the 18V one but it wasn't available, and still isn't.
DEADPOOL

Post by DEADPOOL »

I am still trying to find genuine (affordable) carbide coarse wood blades for mine. Plenty of "carbide" cheap chinese junk out there which are merely painted HSS.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Like DEADPOOL says, multitools are one of those tools I don't need often but when I do they save me a lot of pissing abut trying to get a neat cut with a handsaw in a tight space.

One for instance would be fitting an extra kitchen base unit where the wall has been skirted and I either have to remove the skirting and xut it down before refitting it or cut it in-situ using a handsaw moving just a few teeth at a time so I dont damage the existing flooring.
Or I try to gently chisel it to size without rattling the skirting off the wall. Its a faff.

Now with a multitool I hold a block of wood on the good side of the cut so it acts as a guide. Use the multitool and about thirty seconds later its done and the plinth for the new base unit goes upto it neatly.

Generally I just use the hacksaw type blades for most things cos I don't find the woodsaw ones last once I've hit plasterboard a time or two and the cut doesn't seem to take a lot longer anyway.

Hell, even the plumbers are cutting neater holes in buildings with them nowadays.
Used to be not so long ago the plumbers best tool for cutting neat holes in a plasterboard wall was an adjustable spanner...
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

demographic wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:34 am Used to be not so long ago the plumbers best tool for cutting neat holes in a plasterboard wall was an adjustable spanner...
:mrgreen:
demographic

Post by demographic »

What I'm really after at the moment is a portable tablesaw setup with accurate fence system.
I really rate the Incra fence system this bloke uses on his router table and think that it could work well with a Triton tablesaw module. Will need a no volt release switch but thats not rocket science.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

That whole set up looks expensive!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Yambo wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:03 am
Mine looks like this:

There are times when it's the only tool for the job. I would have preferred the 18V one but it wasn't available, and still isn't.

If I've got a DeWalt cordless drill and screwdriver thingy, would the battery fit a cordless version of this?
demographic

Post by demographic »

Noggin wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:43 pm If I've got a DeWalt cordless drill and screwdriver thingy, would the battery fit a cordless version of this?
My wife has the 18 volt (the Yanks call em 20 volt MAX but thats Yanks for yer, always enflating the numbers) cordless version of that multitool and it runs on the same slide in batteries her drill and rattle gun. Same batteries as my cordless first fix nailgun, cordless planer, worklight, and Jigsaw I have as well.
I'm pretty sure it'll also run on the De-Walt Flexvolt batteries which have dual voltage (18/54 or 20/60 volt if yer insecure and need a gun to walk to the shops) depending on what they're plugged into.

If your wondering about Flexvolt, its a way to configure the cells either in group of parallels for the 18 and 20 volts or in series for the 54 and 60 volts setup.

So in short, yes the multitool with the slide in batteries runs on the same slide in batteries as the other gear.
The De-Walt multitool is dead easy to change blades on as well.