After corona ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Gimlet

Re: After corona ?

Post by Gimlet »

Dodgy knees wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:12 pm Or you could raise funds...

Sell Duke, any other stuff you won't need again
It wouldn't get me back to zero.
erizo

Post by erizo »

they are relaxing the quarantine here.

personally, i believe there will now be another spike as people start getting blasé about distancing, hygene etc.

gonna be a while before it´s all over here.
did i just type that?....aw crap!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Gimlet wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:04 pm I've decided over the last couple of days. It'll be freedom, but at a price. As soon as the lockdown is lifted I'm going to declare bankruptcy dispose of all my possessions and walk away. I should have done it years ago. I've never been interested in conventional life. I haven't made a success of it because my heart's never been in it. Never wanted marriage or kids and I can't live in one place for more than about four years before I start climbing the walls.

I may end up dead in a ditch in a week but that's preferably to dying in a hospital bed gasping for breath knowing that it's all been a waste of time and I never had the courage to do what my instincts were telling me.
So as soon as the accountant's done mt books and I'm certain of my position, the bikes will be going, then everything else.
So watch this space for Superduke and a 1190. I'm not going to bother with the Ducati. I'd have to pay a bill to get it back so it can stay where it is and the workshop can do what they like with it.
Walking away isn't always a bad thing, sometimes it's the only way to get into a better position.
Sooner or later though you have to get back on the merry-go-round, it's very hard to get by in life without a job and a couple of bob in your pocket.
WheeliePig

Post by WheeliePig »

It wont be "over" until they find a vaccine. So that's a good 12/18m, at the very least.

This is now just another virus that lives amongst us. I guess the bigger question is "what will be left" post lockdown.

The world will be in a massive recession, millions will be without jobs, and those that have jobs will be taxed to death to pay for all of this. Meanwhile, big companies will ride it out, taking cash from governments and shafting the little guy as always. PPE companies will rule the world with all the money they will be making now and in the future when every government in the world decides it needs a years worth of PPE in stock at any one time.
G.P

Post by G.P »

I'm going to drink less GIn! :)
Docca

Post by Docca »

Bombay Saphire have started making hand sanitizer and dropped off load to us last week. Along with about 200 bottles of their Gin :clap:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Docca wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:27 pm Bombay Saphire have started making hand sanitizer and dropped off load to us last week. Along with about 200 bottles of their Gin :clap:
That's probably the best use of it, I wouldn't be drinking it unless things really had gone to shit and Tanqueray went bust.
Skub

Post by Skub »

WheeliePig wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:40 am It wont be "over" until they find a vaccine. So that's a good 12/18m, at the very least.

This is now just another virus that lives amongst us. I guess the bigger question is "what will be left" post lockdown.

The world will be in a massive recession, millions will be without jobs, and those that have jobs will be taxed to death to pay for all of this. Meanwhile, big companies will ride it out, taking cash from governments and shafting the little guy as always. PPE companies will rule the world with all the money they will be making now and in the future when every government in the world decides it needs a years worth of PPE in stock at any one time.
Well,that cheered me up no fucking end. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
moth

Post by moth »

Skub wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:58 pm
WheeliePig wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:40 am It wont be "over" until they find a vaccine. So that's a good 12/18m, at the very least.

Well,that cheered me up no fucking end. :lol:
Almost makes you want to catch the Corona and have done with it :(
Proud Tory scum since 1974.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

It will pretty much pick up where we left off. The country will be in a shitload of debt but it should a one off cost rather than an ongoing issue. The hospitality industry will take the longest to recover as people get the confidence to go out again.
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Docca wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:20 am
- we will be moving house to the countryside. To where we are surrounded by nothing. We've already identified 2 houses and taken virtual tours of both. My wife has her favourite. I love that she's keen on the idea.
I certainly don’t want to rain on your parade but be VERY sure that you want to live in the middle of nowhere. It sounds idyllic but the grass isn’t necessarily greener. Being remote works for some and not others and you have to be aware of the downsides. You need your car for everything, supermarkets can be a long way away, doctors surgeries, dentists and hospitals even further. Going self sufficient is hard work. Septic tanks in England now have to comply with new legislation and you’ll likely be on oil - fine whilst it’s cheap like now but it is normally a lot more than gas per unit. Having land sounds like a nice idea but it has to be managed and as you get older that becomes much harder work. Kids (if you have them) miss their friends and running them to their sports clubs etc can become tedious and a chore.

As I say I don’t want to discourage you but it’s not always what it seems, so be sure that it’s really what you want to do. Once you make the move it’s often very difficult to sell up and move back. :think:
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Our lives will change little after this as we don’t tend to eat out, go to pubs or festivals or travel around very much, apart from local days out on the bike and a bike and car holiday to France every year. I will appreciate shopping in a supermarket with my OH and not complain about having to do a food shop again!

I hope the world wakes up to the damage done by all the ‘travelling’ everyone wants (has?) to do. We need to make our planet a healthier place and whilst leisure activities seem to make the world go round, we now do it to excess. If we didn’t have so much world travelling then would CV19 have been such a problem? I doubt it.

I certainly won’t ever be going on a cruise, not that I would have done before and the likelihood of me travelling on a plane ever again is probably as close to zero as it could be.

I want to move house back over east because whilst the scenery is fantastic in Wales and the borders, the weather is not and life is too short to look at it through a rainy window. Too many days when it isn’t possible to go out on the bike!

More than anything I hope that we will all accept that life will change: if for no other reason than it will take a long time to pay for the financial decisions that have been taken. I hope our collective memories won’t forget why they were taken nor that we will have to accept that we’ll be paying for them.
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I've been under house arrest for just over 3 weeks now and I can handle it, in fact it's not much different to my everyday life over the winter months except for the frustration. Frustration of having somebody do my shopping for me and frustration of not being allowed out for a bit of social interaction. Summer is approaching though and life is different in the summer, house arrest is not going to be pretty.

I can handle living alone because I can pick and choose the social interactions I want; stop off at the tea garden after doing a bit of shopping, head out for a regular beer on a Friday evening or at any other time if the mood takes me and choose where I go knowing who will probably be there; accepting the offer of dinner from friends and neighbours and so on but this enforced isolation, this arbitrary age limit for house arrest which doesn't take anything else into account has got me thinking . . .

. . . thinking that I'd probably be happier when this is all over, with a woman in my life and in my home. Where I live is not a target rich environment and I'm very fussy but I may be able to lower my sights. It's not as if it'd be for 36 years like the last one. :lol:
irie

Post by irie »

Yambo wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:19 pm
. . . thinking that I'd probably be happier when this is all over, with a woman in my life and in my home. Where I live is not a target rich environment and I'm very fussy but I may be able to lower my sights. It's not as if it'd be for 36 years like the last one. :lol:
Obviously the time has come, and I'd guess you have someone in mind but are unsure where to start ...
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Irie wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:49 pm Obviously the time has come, and I'd guess you have someone in mind but are unsure where to start ...
Yeah, but it's complicated. ;)

We're touring S Africa, Botswana and Zimbabwe together next winter (hopefully) but she's in UK at the moment and it's not clear when she'll get here. Oh well, que sera, sera.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

It’s not going to be over after the lock down. It never was - if every single person had stayed in, then maybe the transference of the virus would have ceased. But that is not happening- not I. The big metropolitan cities of Britain, and developing countries.
This was always about pushing the bell curve as low as possible to learn as much about it as possible - and to get systems in place.
The virus is going to be around until it has gone through the human herd or immunity has been gained, or we are inoculated.

It doesn’t mean that we are all going to die ... but do not believe this will be over in the next 12 months.
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

It's not going to change my attitude to life or how I choose to live it at all.
I've had one or two fairly significant and life-changing events getting on for 15 years back that caused me to seriously re-evaluate some of my priorities, and what is most important to me, and as a result of that, I made some changes and have been pretty much living my life in this way since then.
I'm extremely fortunate to have good health and reasonable fitness, three brilliant adult boys that I am proud to consider amongst my very best mates, a couple of Grandkids and as of relatively recently, finally my dream woman, that up until I met her I didn't think she would exist at this age, so life is very good.
I'm at the age where retirement is an option for me, but I don't see myself ever completely "retiring" in the conventional sense, as making something (whether that is simply money or something arguably more valuable) and the feeling of self-worth that comes with that is important to me- it's the balance between home and "work" and being in control of it , that's key IMO.

But whatever changes any of us choose to make or not make, I do think that some aspects of all of our lives and what we do will be changed forever by all this- a few of us will likely lose people close to us earlier than we may have anticipated, or maybe even lose our own lives as a result of CV19 but I'm thinking more about the ongoing social changes- about how, and how much, we shop, travel, and for previously office-based and non-customer facing employees, how we work- one thing's for sure, I wouldn't want to be trying to sell office space any time after this really....
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

No different really. My health seems to be failing so i've been addressing that anyway and will hopefully correct a few things, but apart from that life isn't that different now.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Tricky wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:13 pm It's not going to change my attitude to life or how I choose to live it at all.
I've had one or two fairly significant and life-changing events getting on for 15 years back that caused me to seriously re-evaluate some of my priorities, and what is most important to me, and as a result of that, I made some changes and have been pretty much living my life in this way since then.
I'm extremely fortunate to have good health and reasonable fitness, three brilliant adult boys that I am proud to consider amongst my very best mates, a couple of Grandkids and as of relatively recently, finally my dream woman, that up until I met her I didn't think she would exist at this age, so life is very good.
I'm at the age where retirement is an option for me, but I don't see myself ever completely "retiring" in the conventional sense, as making something (whether that is simply money or something arguably more valuable) and the feeling of self-worth that comes with that is important to me- it's the balance between home and "work" and being in control of it , that's key IMO.

But whatever changes any of us choose to make or not make, I do think that some aspects of all of our lives and what we do will be changed forever by all this- a few of us will likely lose people close to us earlier than we may have anticipated, or maybe even lose our own lives as a result of CV19 but I'm thinking more about the ongoing social changes- about how, and how much, we shop, travel, and for previously office-based and non-customer facing employees, how we work- one thing's for sure, I wouldn't want to be trying to sell office space any time after this really....
Wouldn't mind a dream woman myself...why do you find them.?
Yamaha rocket 3
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:30 pm
Tricky wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 1:13 pm It's not going to change my attitude to life or how I choose to live it at all.

Wouldn't mind a dream woman myself...why do you find them.?
If you need to ask why, then you really don't need one ;)

But if you meant "where" do you find them, then the answer in this particular case was Bumble - believe me it wasn't easy though and took many many attempts and a lot of stamina :) )