After corona ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Couchy

After corona ?

Post by Couchy »

So after lockdown are you gonna sit back and just enjoy a simple life and be grateful for still being here or are you gonna think fuck it and go big and live to the best of your means like there’s no tomorrow in case it happens again ?

I think of all those bikes I could have had if I hadn’t stuck a load in my pension, hopefully I make it through and if I do it’ll be V4 heaven (Panigale)......or I’m glad I had a time with some of those bikes I’ve owned I’ll Sit back relax and enjoy the simpler things in V4 hell (old Honda heap).

Which way are you gonna go when we’re all free again ?
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: After corona ?

Post by weeksy »

It's made me think "sod it, let's live a bit" not that I wasn't living, but I'm now thinking of Portimao for my 50th where I'd previously thought "stay at home"

I'll also be hitting 2 dayers at BPW for sure with my boy and my friends!!!!
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

I think its going to be When we have learnt to live with corona rather than after it, but I am going to try and spend a little more time going places and doing stuff. Nothing major as I have to work out how Im going to achieve that first.
erizo

Post by erizo »

Off up to Asturias. I’ve got a flat up there, so away with the family up into the mountains.

The beach I use up there is not very crowded on a busy day, so getting some vitamin D production going is deffo on the agenda.
did i just type that?....aw crap!
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Nothing much, just try and get out more going camping with a few mates and also family.
Not necessarily at the same time.
There's a place just down from where I lived as a kid and theres a nice beck patrolled by dragonflies and enough gorse bushes that quite a few people can camp there without feeling its too close.

I'd like to be working within half an hour from my home so I'm not knackered on a night and have time to go out on my pushbike.
For some reason I seem to have ended up working an hour and a half from my home the last few summers, decent interesting jobs but too far away really.

Basically, its the little things.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Settling into my new to me Church and starting my curacy. And hopefully having a good time doing it. I'll not be changing how I live much anyhow, but I will change the bike I ride as I will no longer be commuting and will probably have something more "fun". But I've put that in other posts here.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

I'm going to be bankrupt by the end of it. Probably before the end. Time to give up the struggle, press the reset button and walk away. Should have done it a long time ago. There'll be no bikes though. That's the biggest worry. Don't know how/if I'll adapt to that..
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I made this choice 6 years ago. I thought I want to get off the drudgery road and go enjoy myself.

I hope many of you end up as happy and free as me :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

My plan is to carry on as I was before the virus, but I was having a pretty good life anyway.
Honda Owner
Doc

Post by Doc »

I'm taking VR at the end of May from my job of 23 years to start my own RIB charter and training business.
If things had gone according to the original plan this would have happened just after Christmas, so although it's not great timing to be trying to launch a new business, it could be worse!!
The Thruxton will be staying for now, but the venerable CB500S is now surplus to requirements and will be up for sale.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I'm making no plans...🤞
Yamaha rocket 3
Docca

Post by Docca »

I think it will be a while before we are out of the woods. If we all get out of this with our health, then we have done very well.

As for changes, mine will almost entirely about attitude:

- I won't take my own health for granted and be a lot stricter about what I eat and drink. This has happened in earnest as I've lost 10kg in the past 4 weeks.

- I won't take my own health for granted and will embrace exercise. I'm doing at least a 5 mile walk or an hour on mtb ( with the kids so not massively difficult stuff)

- I won't take my family for granted. Previously, sometimes they got in the way of work. I was away a lot or I was increasingly enveloped in being 24/7 responsive and I knew not all of it was needing to be responded to

- I will spend more time with my family. Being locked down together hasn't killed us but made us stronger. Much stronger.

- I will be stricter on how I spend my money. Increasing realisation that we don't actually need an awful lot of the stuff we have

- I will be more patient and tolerant. I'm working on this and people are still largely fucking insufferable spunk socks

- we will be moving house to the countryside. To where we are surrounded by nothing. We've already identified 2 houses and taken virtual tours of both. My wife has her favourite. I love that she's keen on the idea.

- I am really considering going back to the shop floor. It will be quite a pay cut (>50k) but these last few weeks have been good for my mental health and reminded me of why I got into nursing.

Stay safe all and keep positive
Potter

Post by Potter »

I have already been through a prolonged near death experience and it changed me massively.

Afterwards I had it large at every opportunity with the view that you should enjoy life while you can, so we went for broke with everything, swanning around the world, chartering helicopters, boats and buying lots of nice things.
It took a decade to get that out of my system and now I'm sort of back to what might pass as normal.

Now I'll just take what comes my way, if I end up on a yacht sailing around the world then that's ok, or if I end up stacking shelves then that's ok as well. I've had everything I want out of life and I can't complain.

I'd like another fifty years if I can, as long as I stay healthy.
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

We're expecting, she's due in mid-august so hoping this is all behind us by then!

So going all out but in a different way. The opposite of all this confinement. New life :)
WheeliePig

Post by WheeliePig »

Yorick wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 pm I made this choice 6 years ago. I thought I want to get off the drudgery road and go enjoy myself.

Have you retired then?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

WheeliePig wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:32 pm
Yorick wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:15 pm I made this choice 6 years ago. I thought I want to get off the drudgery road and go enjoy myself.

Have you retired then?
Yup. 6 years ago, at 54 :)
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

I've decided over the last couple of days. It'll be freedom, but at a price. As soon as the lockdown is lifted I'm going to declare bankruptcy dispose of all my possessions and walk away. I should have done it years ago. I've never been interested in conventional life. I haven't made a success of it because my heart's never been in it. Never wanted marriage or kids and I can't live in one place for more than about four years before I start climbing the walls.

I may end up dead in a ditch in a week but that's preferably to dying in a hospital bed gasping for breath knowing that it's all been a waste of time and I never had the courage to do what my instincts were telling me.
So as soon as the accountant's done mt books and I'm certain of my position, the bikes will be going, then everything else.
So watch this space for Superduke and a 1190. I'm not going to bother with the Ducati. I'd have to pay a bill to get it back so it can stay where it is and the workshop can do what they like with it.
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Gimlet wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:04 pm I've decided over the last couple of days. It'll be freedom, but at a price. As soon as the lockdown is lifted I'm going to declare bankruptcy dispose of all my possessions and walk away. I should have done it years ago. I've never been interested in conventional life. I haven't made a success of it because my heart's never been in it. Never wanted marriage or kids and I can't live in one place for more than about four years before I start climbing the walls.

I may end up dead in a ditch in a week but that's preferably to dying in a hospital bed gasping for breath knowing that it's all been a waste of time and I never had the courage to do what my instincts had been telling me for most of my life.
So as soon as the accountant's done mt books and I'm certain of my position, the bikes will be going, then everything else.
So watch this space for Superduke and a 1190. I'm not going to bother with the Ducati. I'd have to pay a bill to get it back so it can stay where it is and the workshop can do what they like with it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Gimlet wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:05 pm
Gimlet wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:04 pm I've decided over the last couple of days. It'll be freedom, but at a price. As soon as the lockdown is lifted I'm going to declare bankruptcy dispose of all my possessions and walk away. I should have done it years ago. I've never been interested in conventional life. I haven't made a success of it because my heart's never been in it. Never wanted marriage or kids and I can't live in one place for more than about four years before I start climbing the walls.

I may end up dead in a ditch in a week but that's preferably to dying in a hospital bed gasping for breath knowing that it's all been a waste of time and I never had the courage to do what my instincts had been telling me for most of my life.
Disturbing post. Hope it all works out for you.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Gimlet wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:05 pm

Or you could raise funds...

Sell Duke, any other stuff you won't need again, load up the 1190 and ride into the sunset. Ride through Europe, live cheap, stop where you want, take as long as you want. Bits of casual work if you fancy. Meet like minded folks with similar outlook and gain some very useful tips and advice.

These adventures always have a way of working out and the memories last forever. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3