What have you done to your bicycle today ?

MTB, Road, Cyclocross, Running, walking, Rowing, Weights / Cardio, Diet, training plans
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: What have you done to your bicycle today ?

Post by weeksy »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2024 7:27 pm Epocalypse into LBS for all new frame bearings (approx 14 months old) as I am a bearing destroyer. Also hub bearing checks and a brake bleed whilst it's there.

Shock and Forks off for service but it would appear the knock in my headset is in fact the CSU well and truly on the way out so that'll be a warranty job, last time LBS found this the customer got a whole new fork from SRAM. It's a ZEB and whilst its been worked its not like its lived in the Peaks or Dartmoor all its life so I'm a bit disappointed, though trawling forums some people are on their 3rd or 4th warranty CSU.
Wow, sounds like a lot!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I had the frame bearings done at 8 months old after a wet winter and a sodden trip to Dartmoor and they were all good so I pushed it to 14 months this time and see what they say , if all good I''ll push it to 18 months next time. Evil are excellent on warranty issues BUT take a dim view of bearings seizing and spinning up in the frame + shop say as I ride my bike in all weathers I am about their worst/best customer for wrecking things (like an i9 rear hub that appeared to have spent most of its life under water after a Dartmoor trip and a few months of winter).

I also don't have time or patience or workspace/tooling to do this myself.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

New jockey wheels fitted to the Curtis, grease topped up with @millemille special grease. I may have let the old bearings get a bit too far gone as the derailleur cage now has some non standard grooves in it. TIME special 8 pedals stripped and regreased and new out board bearing fitted (IGUS bushing inboard all OK). Pedals refitted to Eewings cranks with plenty of copperslip.

Picked NOBL hub rear wheel from LBS after inspection by shop (not been used for a few years so wanted it checked), also collected Onyx hub rear wheel after that was getting rumbly...again, 3 x new bearings, two in free hub and on hub bearing. Apparently I ride my bikes😂.

Fitted old Eagle cassette to NOBL wheel for Dartmoor, had to take it off again to remove spacer as NOBL and Onyx hub drivers are slightly different....d'oh! NOBL hub is better sealed than the Onyx and also NOBL wheel has a Kenda Regolith tyre fitted is better suited to autumnal Dartmoor than the Minion SS on the Onyx. Tyre topped up with sealant jizz.

Cleaned chain, washed it (in sink as Mrs M was out, she'll never know, unlike the time she caught me washing a KR1-s swinger and linkages in the sink......).

Dried chain in conservatory, refitted and Viking lubes ceramic oil used, chain still under 0.75 wear so all good, tweaked AXS rear mech slightly.

Curtis is now ready for Dartmoor.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."