Can we have an "Unpopular Opinion" thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr Moofo

Re: Can we have an "Unpopular Opinion" thread?

Post by Mr Moofo »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:51 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:12 pm Roofing felt on southern French roofs is a Very Bad Idea - it just melts in the temperatures that are routinely achieved. You need foil-based roof lining, whether multifoil or single layer, with the preformed wiggly concrete-based sheets on top. Then if you wish you can add the tuiles canales on top of the sheet to make it look 'authentic'. Plastic sheets will degrade very quickly due to high levels of UV.

BTW I dunno about French food being over-rated (depends where you go), but I find the overall quality far higher that the UK (not that that is too hard). However the menu choices get a bit samey.
The French spend the most disposable of any European country on food - dunno it that is because the quality of the offer or just French supermarket pricing. (Two examples: Epoisses cheese - Tesco 3.50 GBP, In France 8.00 euros for similar quantities. Lays ready salted - France - 4 euro plus, UK 2 GBP and change)
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:14 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 12:12 pm Roofing felt on southern French roofs is a Very Bad Idea - it just melts in the temperatures that are routinely achieved. You need foil-based roof lining, whether multifoil or single layer, with the preformed wiggly concrete-based sheets on top. Then if you wish you can add the tuiles canales on top of the sheet to make it look 'authentic'. Plastic sheets will degrade very quickly due to high levels of UV.

BTW I dunno about French food being over-rated (depends where you go), but I find the overall quality far higher that the UK (not that that is too hard). However the menu choices get a bit samey.
The French spend the most disposable of any European country on food - dunno it that is because the quality of the offer or just French supermarket pricing. (Two examples: Epoisses cheese - Tesco 3.50 GBP, In France 8.00 euros for similar quantities. Lays ready salted - France - 4 euro plus, UK 2 GBP and change)
Is that due to protectionism driven by protesting farmers? So imports can't undercut them?
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Mussels wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:50 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 4:14 pm

Is that due to protectionism driven by protesting farmers? So imports can't undercut them?
Or they don't have to be at the sharp end of the profiteering of the likes of Tesco and Asda?
Felix

Post by Felix »

Where do you get Lays in the UK????? Good Polish version in the Foreign foods section at Tesco what i cant remember its name just now.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Felix wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:30 pm Where do you get Lays in the UK????? Good Polish version in the Foreign foods section at Tesco what i cant remember its name just now.
Walkers to you plebs
Felix

Post by Felix »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:10 pm
Felix wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 5:30 pm Where do you get Lays in the UK????? Good Polish version in the Foreign foods section at Tesco what i cant remember its name just now.
Walkers to you plebs
Walker are pish in comparison.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Felix wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:20 pm
Walkers to you plebs
Lays are Walkers, or more accurately Walkers are Lays everywhere else but the uk.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Pretty sure Ive seen em in either Aldi or Lidl, can't remember which.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Failing the supermarket option, they have them on Amazon.....at a price. :shock:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

demographic wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:53 pm Pretty sure Ive seen em in either Aldi or Lidl, can't remember which.
I do love the random German and Eastern European food they have in Aldi :D Particularly the Lebkuchen.

Or was it Lidl? :hmmm: There's one of each about equidistant from my house and I can never remember which is which.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 8:59 am I wouldn't buy/own an Indian built motorcycle
Neither would I, and I'm including KTM as built in India, I'd also not buy a Chinese built motorcycle, including Japanese brand motorcycles made in China.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Felix wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:37 pm
Sunny wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2024 10:22 pm
cheb wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:50 pm Pizza is just fancy cheese on toast.
Yebbut, cheese on toast is ace 🤤
Or it used to be. Something has been taken out or added to cheddar over the years making it just Meh! even Macaroni and Cheese is just bland.
Buy better cheddar!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 11:38 am French food is vastly over-rated
Compared to.........

Just been out to a local resto, baked camembert, pavé de cabaillaud a la provencale, caramel brioche glace et Chantilly €36
Better quality than 90% of UK eateries, including places like The Ivy (which imo falls into the VOR category)
Felix

Post by Felix »

Taipan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:45 pm

Walkers to you plebs
Lays are Walkers, or more accurately Walkers are Lays everywhere else but the uk.
They are both owned by Pepsi but that is about it. They are made in different factories in different parts of the world. They may both do Cheese and Onion but that does not mean they are the same. If that was the case then we would all just buy ALDI cheap shit.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 9:07 pm
Compared to.........

Just been out to a local resto, baked camembert, pavé de cabaillaud a la provencale, caramel brioche glace et Chantilly €36
Better quality than 90% of UK eateries, including places like The Ivy (which imo falls into the VOR category)

Yebbut French cheese is shit, worse than Cheddar, you know, that soapy crap the English seem to like.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yambo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:51 am
Compared to.........

Yebbut French cheese is shit, worse than Cheddar, you know, that soapy crap the English seem to like.
Hush man and eat your Kasar peynir. There's cheddar and there's Cheddar and then there's supermarket cheddar.

There's more than 1200 French cheeses, I suspect they're not all 'shit'. :lol:
Voltaire
Flux

Post by Flux »

Felix wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 7:48 am
Taipan wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2024 6:45 pm

They are both owned by Pepsi but that is about it. They are made in different factories in different parts of the world. They may both do Cheese and Onion but that does not mean they are the same. If that was the case then we would all just buy ALDI cheap shit.
Wrong, I worked for Walkers for 19 years and exactly the same product could be packaged as Lays or Walkers.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:59 am
Yambo wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:51 am

Compared to.........

Hush man and eat your Kasar peynir. There's cheddar and there's Cheddar and then there's supermarket cheddar.

There's more than 1200 French cheeses, I suspect they're not all 'shit'. :lol:
French cheeses have seasons. If you eat a 'fresh' cheese, not good!
And some are truly dreadful (morbier), but most are just a regional theme of a standard classic using AOP (local ingredients) protectionism.
But it's hard to beat a well aged truckle cheddar!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2024 9:08 am
French cheeses have seasons. If you eat a 'fresh' cheese, not good!
And some are truly dreadful (morbier), but most are just a regional theme of a standard classic using AOP (local ingredients) protectionism.
But it's hard to beat a well aged truckle cheddar!
We used to get cheese-by-post from a family business in Leicestershire that supplied some corking English cheeses. They kept going through lockdown etc to support their customers...then retired. :(

Realised that, at the moment, most of the cheese I'm eating is Italian! (They do the 'young' cheese/'old' cheese thing rather well with some of their Tuscan produce).
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I used to drive through France and back again each year. The problem we always had with good food, was where to find it! Oddly, a packed restaurant was no guarantee of it either. Sometimes we'd get lucky in small bistros but most times we'd end up using a chain in the hope some consistency, my favourite being Hippopotamus!

A wine merchant advised me to go to city train stations for dinner as its govt run and has properly trained chefs in? We did try this once and we did indeed have a decent meal but we often stopped in villages without a big train station so it wasn't much help.