What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Noggin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Noggin »

Taipan wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:21 pm I’m away in my campervan and we brought the in-laws with us. M-I-l is 94 and has dementia but is pretty good overall, but by fook is it hard work repeating everything that she’ll only forget 2 seconds later!😫 it’s also really terrible to see such a smart dressed nice lady slowly reduced to this and losing her dress sense and looking garrity! There are of course worse diseases but this one sure ain’t fun! It’s been an exhausting day and I have nothing but admiration for f-I-l who copes with this daily despite it breaking his heart. Think I might start buying bikes again as you never know what’s going the corner!
Live for now cos life turns to shit with shocking speed sometimes (and then once it’s turned to shit it’ll sit in that shit for some time 🙄)

Hugs to you all. Dementia is tough 😞😞
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 9:21 pm I’m away in my campervan and we brought the in-laws with us. M-I-l is 94 and has dementia but is pretty good overall, but by fook is it hard work repeating everything that she’ll only forget 2 seconds later!😫 it’s also really terrible to see such a smart dressed nice lady slowly reduced to this and losing her dress sense and looking garrity! There are of course worse diseases but this one sure ain’t fun! It’s been an exhausting day and I have nothing but admiration for f-I-l who copes with this daily despite it breaking his heart. Think I might start buying bikes again as you never know what’s going the corner!
I've watched this nasty disease rob family and friends of who they are. It's like watching a train disaster in slow motion. There is no positive end result,all family can do is be there and treat the person with love and dignity,two things mostly absent from the caring institutions.
Good on you for what you do TinPan,it won't last for ever,but you'll be happy you did the right thing.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Considered buying an old tractor. It's going to become a repeated consideration.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Sunny wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:50 pm Considered buying an old tractor. It's going to become a repeated consideration.
Massey Ferguson 135 FTW! :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:31 pm
I've watched this nasty disease rob family and friends of who they are. It's like watching a train disaster in slow motion. There is no positive end result,all family can do is be there and treat the person with love and dignity,two things mostly absent from the caring institutions.
Good on you for what you do TinPan,it won't last for ever,but you'll be happy you did the right thing.
It was a long two days for sure. I was sitting with her and she asked where we were going today. So i said we're having a short walk into town and we'll stop along the way as there are a few nice benches with flowers around them and at the top there is a nice fountain with goldfish in and surrounded by lovely flower beds. She was really pleased at this as I knew she would be. 3 minutes later the same question and I delivered a slightly shorter answer. This carried on until My answer became, just popping into town. Then I thought, its not her fault and had a word with myself to stop being such a miserable bastard and to take the time to excite her with the original answer each time she asked. The reward was of course seeing her face light up each time, but I have to be honest, its really wearing and people who live with their partners suffering this have my utmost respect.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Taipan wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 1:13 pm It was a long two days for sure. I was sitting with her and she asked where we were going today. So i said we're having a short walk into town and we'll stop along the way as there are a few nice benches with flowers around them and at the top there is a nice fountain with goldfish in and surrounded by lovely flower beds. She was really pleased at this as I knew she would be. 3 minutes later the same question and I delivered a slightly shorter answer. This carried on until My answer became, just popping into town. Then I thought, its not her fault and had a word with myself to stop being such a miserable bastard and to take the time to excite her with the original answer each time she asked. The reward was of course seeing her face light up each time, but I have to be honest, its really wearing and people who live with their partners suffering this have my utmost respect.
We did the same with MIL. The same stories she enjoyed before,we repeated each visit. It feels stupid at first,but it was one of the diminishing pleasures she had left and worth it for all the daft feelings on our part. Eventually even this was taken away,when she began to forget the people in the stories,so the stories meant nothing. Hard going mate.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Went into a Greggs. It was an interesting experience and somewhat of a cultural shock. The clientele were a mixed bunch, from Cuprinol-coloured teenage girls with eyelash extensions of impressive length, to the clinically obese mouth breathers in a soporific state induced by too much saturated fat.

The Katsu Curry Slice was....challenging.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Horse

Post by Horse »

Sunny wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 9:50 pm Considered buying an old tractor. It's going to become a repeated consideration.
Someone on here has one they were rebuilding. Wratty?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Greggs is weird. I used to love certain things - think it was the chicken slice, and they did a Christmas slice too! I didn't often buy much else really and it was something I missed when on seasons.

But the last few times I've been back I've had no inclination to go and test how they taste now. Pretty sure my tastes have changed a bit, so I kinda want to remember that I liked the chicken slices before rather than spoiling the memories by realising how horrible they probably really are!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

O2 and Greggs can go fuck themselves, they're dropping my free weekend sausage roll!

THE BASTARDS!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I've never eaten anything from Greggs, I went in one once, but it smelt bad so I walked out.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I loved the sarnies at Greg's. Always had a pasty as well ;)
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:25 pm I've never eaten anything from Greggs, I went in one once, but it smelt bad so I walked out.
You fucking liar!

Even Lady Gaga has eaten a Greggs.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Had to wear this.

Something about humiliating the adults at the karting session for my nephew's birthday :) Thought the effect from my helmet/visor was hilarious though!

Even got my race number, completely by chance. More than happy with this, a podium's a podium...

Felix

Post by Felix »

Had to work since pulling a muscle in the back mid week and skive the Thursday. Been double dosing on ibuprofen what seems to have worked.
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Taipan wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 1:05 pm
That's the one 👍 Reminds me of being a kid going to look at classic machinery with my parents, and is more achievable than a steam engine 🤣
Horse wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 5:13 pm
Oooo 😎 <heads to search>
Felix

Post by Felix »

Sunny wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:35 pm
That's the one 👍 Reminds me of being a kid going to look at classic machinery with my parents, and is more achievable than a steam engine 🤣
Oooo 😎 <heads to search>
Im sure the build was on TRC.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Felix wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:50 pm
Sunny wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:35 pm

Oooo 😎 <heads to search>
Im sure the build was on TRC.
Could be right.

I could only find this:

viewtopic.php?p=27928&hilit=Tractor#p27928
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Felix wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:50 pm Im sure the build was on TRC.
Horse wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:15 pm
Felix wrote: Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:50 pm Im sure the build was on TRC.
Could be right.

I could only find this:

viewtopic.php?p=27928&hilit=Tractor#p27928
Dagnamit.

Don't supposed you've got it archived anywhere @Wreckless Rat ?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Nooo! What madam needs is a little grey Fergie. :thumbup:

Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire