What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Rockburner

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:02 pm
Rockburner wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:23 pm
Horse wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 1:26 pm

@Cousin Jack would whatever the latest version of the Sale of Goods Act apply?
According to CAB, yes.
Good

Small Claims Court?

Write (recorded delivery )to the shop (IIRC your contract is with them, not BMW), give them 14 calendar days to respond, then initiate the process?

Include in your claim any costs (postage, holiday taken from work, etc).

Initial cost is £35 (up to £300 claim) or £50 (up to £500 claim). I can't remember how long you've had the jacket, or how much wear. You might not be reasonable claiming the full price paid.
If I get no leverage at all from the credit card company (I'm not going to hold my breath) then possibly, if I decide that it'll be worth the hassle.
non quod, sed quomodo
Horse

Post by Horse »

Rockburner wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:15 pm
Rockburner wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:23 pm According to CAB, yes.
... possibly, if I decide that it'll be worth the hassle.
IIRC you paid something like £350?

Claiming for that (if it's almost as-new condition?) + incidental costs, the fee is returned on a win.

You can document:
- faulty construction
- reasonable (extensive) attempts to sort outside of the court system
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Horse wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:51 pm
Rockburner wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2024 2:23 pm According to CAB, yes.

Claiming for that (if it's almost as-new condition?) + incidental costs, the fee is returned on a win.

You can document:
- faulty construction
June 2019 : paid £396 for a Streetguard (originally £550+vat, reduced to £220+VAT),
July 2019 : Replaced for another Streetguard
Aug 2020 : Returned 4th jacket for replacement (according to this post : viewtopic.php?p=16889&hilit=Streetguard#p16889 ) All requests for a refund at this point were refused. (Also - there were no invoices or other paperwork given to me at each of these replacements)
May 2021 : Received Pace Guard Tour jacket as replacement (Streetguards completely out of stock), Again, refund refused. BMW UK called this a "Goodwill" replacement transaction, despite this transaction still being within their 2 year manufacturing warranty period.
July 2024: First time I was caught in the rain with the Pace Guard*: Pocket leaked like a sieve. In addition a zipper was found to be missing from new: ie a manufacturing defect.

The "sticky wicket" that I'm on is that it's now over 3 years since I received the Pace Guard, (ie, well outside the BMW 2 year warranty), although I have an email from the Vines employee stating that the jacket is virtually like new. BMW also say that they've given all the "Goodwill" that they're prepared to give.

The "sticky wicket" that BMW are on is that according the Consumer Law I have a reasonable expectation of 6 years of life from any product, (according to this online tool from CAB : https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/decis ... oods/next/ ) and that I have a reasonable expectation that a product is "fit for purpose" and "of satisfactory quality": Every single jacket I have received can very easily be said to be "not fit for purpose", and "not of satisfactory quality" especially the current Pace Guard because it actually has a visible, easily observed manufacturing flaw. In addition, they have constantly refused a refund, which appears to be against the law.

I've gone through BMW's replacement service
I've gone through BMW's internal dispute resolution system
I've contacted the Motor Ombudsman (MotorCodes) who have a code of practise that allegedly BMW are registered with : they don't deal with accessories (or motorcycles);
I've contacted the MCIA (MotorCycle Industry Association): they have a dispute resolution service, but they do not deal with accessories;
I've contacted CAB: the colleague I spoke to and explained the history to said I was completely within my rights to demand a refund, and informed me that in fact I should have been offered a refund after the first replacement failed.
I've contacted the credit card company through whom the original payment was made: they're almost completely online so I'm now waiting for a response from them (bit awkward because I closed that account a couple of years ago).

I've informed BMW of all the above - including reminding them of the aspect of consumer law that I've been informed of.

So - now waiting for 30 days to see if anything comes from the cc company, if not, I'll have to consider a "small claims" case.

* Due to not commuting daily, and only doing summer riding in a different jacket
non quod, sed quomodo
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Found my old car for sale!

It's still wearing the old plates, that are now assigned to the wife's X2!

https://www.autoseven7ltd.co.uk/used-me ... re-6191538

I told the wife that the dealer (franchised BMW) would just send it straight to auction.

I wonder if the'vey driven it far enough to retrigger the engine fault light for the two failed Nox sensors?

Damn I'll miss that car, it was the nicest one I've ever had.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:39 am

You can document:
- faulty construction
June 2019 : paid £396 for a Streetguard (originally £550+vat, reduced to £220+VAT),
Aug 2020 : Returned 4th jacket for replacement (according to this post : viewtopic.php?p=16889&hilit=Streetguard#p16889 ) All requests for a refund at this point were refused. (Also - there were no invoices or other paperwork given to me at each of these replacements)
May 2021 : Received Pace Guard Tour jacket as replacement (Streetguards completely out of stock), Again, refund refused. BMW UK called this a "Goodwill" replacement transaction, despite this transaction still being within their 2 year manufacturing warranty period.
July 2024: First time I was caught in the rain with the Pace Guard*: Pocket leaked like a sieve. In addition a zipper was found to be missing from new: ie a manufacturing defect.

The "sticky wicket" that I'm on is that it's now over 3 years since I received the Pace Guard, (ie, well outside the BMW 2 year warranty), although I have an email from the Vines employee stating that the jacket is virtually like new. BMW also say that they've given all the "Goodwill" that they're prepared to give.

The "sticky wicket" that BMW are on is that according the Consumer Law I have a reasonable expectation of 6 years of life from any product, (according to this online tool from CAB : https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/decis ... oods/next/ ) and that I have a reasonable expectation that a product is "fit for purpose" and "of satisfactory quality": Every single jacket I have received can very easily be said to be "not fit for purpose", and "not of satisfactory quality" especially the current Pace Guard because it actually has a visible, easily observed manufacturing flaw. In addition, they have constantly refused a refund, which appears to be against the law.

I've contacted the Motor Ombudsman (MotorCodes) who have a code of practise that allegedly BMW are registered with : they don't deal with accessories (or motorcycles);
I've contacted the MCIA (MotorCycle Industry Association): they have a dispute resolution service, but they do not deal with accessories;
I've contacted CAB: the colleague I spoke to and explained the history to said I was completely within my rights to demand a refund, and informed me that in fact I should have been offered a refund after the first replacement failed.
I've contacted the credit card company through whom the original payment was made: they're almost completely online so I'm now waiting for a response from them (bit awkward because I closed that account a couple of years ago).

I've informed BMW of all the above - including reminding them of the aspect of consumer law that I've been informed of.

So - now waiting for 30 days to see if anything comes from the cc company, if not, I'll have to consider a "small claims" case.

* Due to not commuting daily, and only doing summer riding in a different jacket
FWIW my experience of the judges* in the small claims court in Southampton 35 years ago was they were very reasonable and very much sided for the plaintiff. Especially if the plaintiff had contemporaneous notes. Top tip: Don't use the same pen and try to vary your handwriting a bit.

If no joy with the credit card company I'd give it a go, the dealer/BMW might decide it's not worth fighting or just not turn up. If the defendant doesn't attend then it's pretty much an immediate win for the plaintiff.

*It's not actually a judge, ISTR they are called Recorders.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Still tiling, still shitting!
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 9:48 am Found my old car for sale!

Lard? 😆
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Sunny wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:58 pm

Lard? 😆
It came with the Merc, no idea what it means. Thought we might as well keep it for £80 it cost to retain it. It hides the age of her car now.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Put the washing out in the sunshine, have been faffing in the junk room and now realise it's pissing down, so the washing is getting a second wash........
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

KungFooBob wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 2:06 pm
Sunny wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 1:58 pm

Lard? 😆
It came with the Merc, no idea what it means. Thought we might as well keep it for £80 it cost to retain it. It hides the age of her car now.
Belonging in the BYP thread, but it's always mildly irritated me when I can't work out what a personal plate means.
I now like the idea that the owner doesn't either 😆
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

You can document:
- faulty construction

I don’t want to piss on one’s chips but the retailer may have met all of their requirements as they have provided replacements within the original guarantee period which ran from June 2019 to June 2021.

The fact that they have made goodwill replacements thereafter is likely to go in their favour as they’ve provided ‘betterment’ to their normal guarantee period, albeit the original and all others since could be argued as not fit for purpose.

You should have rejected the initial replacement garment and insisted on a refund, taking them to court in 2019 for not providing a refund under the appropriate legislation. IIRC, under Consumer Rights Act 2015, you only have a right to refund for first 30 days, thereafter, it is replace / repair and much more sticky as the time frame extends.

The Small Claims Court may be more sympathetic given the initial refusal of a refund and the fact that BMW have kept replacing the item, well until recently.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Silly Car wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:02 pm

You can document:
- faulty construction

I don’t want to piss on one’s chips but the retailer may have met all of their requirements as they have provided replacements within the original guarantee period which ran from June 2019 to June 2021.

The fact that they have made goodwill replacements thereafter is likely to go in their favour as they’ve provided ‘betterment’ to their normal guarantee period, albeit the original and all others since could be argued as not fit for purpose.

You should have rejected the initial replacement garment and insisted on a refund, taking them to court in 2019 for not providing a refund under the appropriate legislation. IIRC, under Consumer Rights Act 2015, you only have a right to refund for first 30 days, thereafter, it is replace / repair and much more sticky as the time frame extends.

The Small Claims Court may be more sympathetic given the initial refusal of a refund and the fact that BMW have kept replacing the item, well until recently.
Yes, just seen this.

Paid £396 in 2019 for a "waterproof" jacket, guaranteed for 2 years.
After 5 years it leaks. What a surprise!

As Silly Car says, you might get a sympathetic judge.
Or you might not.

My advice would be to keep the jacket for dry days and buy a (cheaper) Oxford one for wet days.
And save yourself a load of stress.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2024 3:22 pm

Yes, just seen this.

Paid £396 in 2019 for a "waterproof" jacket, guaranteed for 2 years.
After 5 years it leaks. What a surprise!

As Silly Car says, you might get a sympathetic judge.
Or you might not.

My advice would be to keep the jacket for dry days and buy a (cheaper) Oxford one for wet days.
And save yourself a load of stress.
Each jacket (6 of them) leaked the first time they were used in rain, the first one was replaced after a month. Each subsequent jacket was replaced as soon as I discovered it leaked (I went through 5 jackets in less than 24 months).

Each replacement jackets was supposedly "brand new" (I do suspect that I may have been supplied returned goods more than once, but have no way of proving that), and so "should" have lasted 2 years at least, but they never did.

The last jacket I simply didn't use for 3 years (due to working from home instead of commuting), until last month, when it leaked, AND I found a manufacturing defect.

I'm very happy that BMW "tried" to supply a waterproof jacket: unfortunately they failed.

I'm utterly pissed off to discover that under Consumer law, after the first attempt at restitution (by replacement or repair) they had no right to refuse a refund - which I DID ask for repeatedly, well within the first 2 years.

I have a jacket for dry days, which is why the Pace Guard didn't get used for 3 years - it was a jacket specifically bought for wet days, a duty for which is was never at any time "fit for purpose".
non quod, sed quomodo
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

You can document:
- faulty construction

Cheers :)

I would like to point out (again) that I DID request a refund, repeatedly, and I was repeatedly refused a refund (5 times).
non quod, sed quomodo
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've done a mix of chill TF out and find and print a ton of documents to take to a meeting tomorrow!! LOL

Oh, I did try to post an important letter and a pair of shoes (a mate ordered some shoes to my address cos the company wouldn't post to the UK :roll: ) but, I didn't realise that opening hours had changed and the PO is now open Monday Weds and Friday instead of Tuesday and Thursday :( :(

So, posting in the valley tomorrow. Visit the council housing place with a ton of paperwork. The the unemployment office to understand some paperwork they've sent me!! LOL

Oh, I did make Lemon drizzle cake and a loaf of bread - but only as a chilling out/distraction 'therapy'!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Attached plywood to back of new bookcase. Installed the bookcase in the bedroom. Lifting it 3ft & sliding it into place was easier than expected. It's now lag bolted to the wall studs.... & just about filled with books...

Apparently I should have bought two bookcases..
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Good decision to bolt the bookcase to the wall, we've had 28 earthquakes tonight (so far). Only felt the 5.3, all the others were 4.5 & below.
The 5.3 was a slow roll so I knew it wasn't too close. Turns out it was South of Bakersfield, I think maybe 75 miles from my ass..

LA of course over reacted & ordered all the fire equipment out of the (106) fire stations & inspections of the buildings...FFS.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

Today, I are mostly going to be glowing in the dark... :shock:

I also get to pig out on junk food on Doctors orders around noon (Carls Jr El Diablo combo for the win!) 8-) :thumbup:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Rode down to the housing office, doesn't look like I'll be moving till next year cos of the tax office system F-up :(

Then to the unemployment office to check a form I received - turns out that I get more unemployment benefit whilst doing the training course cos I'm disabled!! Still not much TBF, but anything more is a bonus!

THEN to Bourg to chat with my mate in her shop - bit of therapy for us both :D :D

Spirited ride home cos too much traffic on my favourite road, so lots of overtaking :D Then overtook a lovely sounding 990 Duke (or something like that) and a Lotus on the way up the mountain!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

TBF they weren't trying at all, which was a bit sad! But it made me smile :D

Chatted to a guy that has just sold 4 garages in Centre - sad cos I didn't know him two years ago when he started his retirement 'process' and agreed to sell them all to various friends!! From December I'm going try and find a garage to buy up here - then I can keep a bike in Centre all winter as well as summer :D :D !! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Worked a day then gone over to my daughters house to move the concrete chunks away from the front of daughters house cos she lives in the area where the racists Sports Direct Dads Army are allegedly planning attacks.

Moved chunks so there's less ammunition if they start wrecking the area.
Properly unimpressed.