The Official Watch Thread.

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: The Official Watch Thread.

Post by Potter »

My mate had the Breitling with the GPS emergency beacon function on it, he got pissed one night and fell asleep in a park in America and it got activated, he got in a bit of trouble for that and it cost a silly amount to be reset.

They're not my thing, but then I rarely wear any watch these days and if I do then it's a Patek Calatrava or something cheap and it slips right under most peoples radar, the Rolex fad thing is almost over but they still get noticed way too much and I don't like the attention.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:41 am Bloke I know has the stature of Mo Farah and he has a U-Boat watch. Look utterly ridiculous on him and looks like a shackle! :eh: But because the watch is so oversized on him he loves the attention it gets! I've come to like bigger watches lately, but I dont think i'd wear anything that oversized for me!

Love a big watch :lol:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:41 am My mate had the Breitling with the GPS emergency beacon function on it
I always wonder if those actually do anything.

Not in the sense of functioning at a technical level, but rather do Breitling just say "oh look, another silly sod has accidentally set off his watch" and ignore it :D
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

My mate was looking at those U-boat watches when we were in Turin last week. He's got big arms and hands like a docker, so it would look OK on him. On me, it would look very silly indeed.

That said, I do feel as if my life is missing a certain something without owning a watch that's filled with oil.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:09 am
Potter wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 6:41 am My mate had the Breitling with the GPS emergency beacon function on it

Not in the sense of functioning at a technical level, but rather do Breitling just say "oh look, another silly sod has accidentally set off his watch" and ignore it :D
This was a few years ago but yes it did, people were out looking for him and he got a ticking off when he was found - well when he'd sobered up the next morning after a night in the cells.

IMHO it's not much use in any kind of tactical situation, because the bad guys can follow the signal as well.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Potter wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 9:36 am

This was a few years ago but yes it did, people were out looking for him and he got a ticking off when he was found - well when he'd sobered up the next morning after a night in the cells.

IMHO it's not much use in any kind of tactical situation, because the bad guys can follow the signal as well.
You shouldn’t get one then
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:58 pm
I don't think any bad people are after me now, well maybe one or two resentful people on this forum, but other than that I think I'm ok.

The watch is horrible btw, I can't imagine wearing one for anything other than some sort of emergency back up plan and even then I'd hide it under my sleeve.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

As I understand it it is the same as setting off a distress beacon in a boat. The position is reported to the emergency service, eg the Coastguard in the UK, and depending on where it is rescue services are alerted. Obviously if it is on land they don't send a lifeboat, but it causes a lot of work.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Potter wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 1:02 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2024 12:58 pm
I don't think any bad people are after me now, well maybe one or two resentful people on this forum, but other than that I think I'm ok.

The watch is horrible btw, I can't imagine wearing one for anything other than some sort of emergency back up plan and even then I'd hide it under my sleeve.
Breitling are always super gauche, huge things worn predominantly by the Dutch
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Well I ended up buying one of those RAF issue Seikos. I'd been watching them in various dealers and I saw one with the same month and year birthday as me, so I took that as a sign :D

It's really nice! Super crisp face, everything feels very solidly constructed etc. Obviously it's "just" a quartz but it's still 15 jewels, all metal gear train etc. I.e. the insides are as solid as any purely mechancial movement.

IMG-20240723-WA0002.jpg
IMG-20240723-WA0002.jpg (158.68 KiB) Viewed 402 times
cheb

Post by cheb »

Where are Grand Seiko in the watch/taste hierarchy? I read of them recently in a book about precision. They are hand made in Japan.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

cheb wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 10:08 am Where are Grand Seiko in the watch/taste hierarchy? I read of them recently in a book about precision. They are hand made in Japan.
Reckoned by some to be among the very best, but also rather restrained, so not bling enough for many 'celebs'. Consequently not pushed in the meeja.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I really want a Spring Drive...amazing movement IMO, that's probably my next milestone birthday watch :lol: Also the first genuinely new mechanical movement concept in a decade or ten.

Love this one in particular.

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've just bought this...

https://timex.co.uk/products/timex-x-pe ... -tw2r41400

Cos I'm a child.

Got 15% off too. Leave something in the basket for a day or two and they email you a code.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 10:18 am I've just bought this...

https://timex.co.uk/products/timex-x-pe ... -tw2r41400

Cos I'm a child.

Got 15% off too. Leave something in the basket for a day or two and they email you a code.
Timex do make decent watches. I've got a couple of the Marlin Snoopy watches, from when they had a good offer on.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I missed out on the Peanuts x Lacoste Polo Shirts a couple of years ago so a watch is the next best thing, right?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I love that :wub: :wub: :wub:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 11:24 am I really want a Spring Drive...amazing movement IMO, that's probably my next milestone birthday watch :lol: Also the first genuinely new mechanical movement concept in a decade or ten.

Love this one in particular.

That is rather nice, in an understated way.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

IMG_2024-07-25-171753.jpeg
IMG_2024-07-25-171753.jpeg (157.39 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Here’s my everyday watch. It cost me £4.95 in Lidl about 6 or 7 years ago, I wear it all the time whatever I’m doing, it gets wet on the bike so that there’s condensation all over the inside of the glass, it dries out. It needs a battery and strap every few years. It keeps perfect time. It was silver when it was new, then that wore off to reveal a fetching coppery colour, now that’s wearing off to reveal a slightly less fetching silver-ish colour.

I suppose all I’m asking it to do is tell me the time, not day/date/altitude/hemisphere/ temp/pulse/bp, so it has an easy life. But still - it didn’t cost me the price of my first house, and if it loses 20% of its value I won’t worry. I’ll be upset if it stops working, mind.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Wossname wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 5:30 pm But still - it didn’t cost me the price of my first house, and if it loses 20% of its value I won’t worry.
Just looking at chopping my current smart watch in, it'll have lost me 30 quid in 18 months if I do.