Quick (I Hope!) Charity Project - Kawasaki ZZR600

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Count Steer

Re: Quick (I Hope!) Charity Project - Kawasaki ZZR600

Post by Count Steer »

Yup, well done and thanks for the interesting reads along the way. Glad your little 'un is home too. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:10 pm Well done for making it the full distance!

I have to say : having a ferry on the route seems a bit odd, but I guess there's only so many routes up past Loch Ness, so it's a compromise either way.
Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou :clap: :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Yes - It is to be fair but I think it is an effort to keeping the route interesting I think! Even though the run off of the back of the ferry was wet and horrible, the roads were unreal and I would love to get back up there for a few days and take some time to explore the area.
Count Steer wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:40 pm Yup, well done and thanks for the interesting reads along the way. Glad your little 'un is home too. :thumbup:
Thanks CS - Glad you have enjoyed it! And so happy little man is home :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

A cool adventure and a very tidy sum raised. Well done man. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Skub wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:26 pm A cool adventure and a very tidy sum raised. Well done man. 8-)
Thanks Skub, You know I was just speaking to Karl just now and I was saying that I’ve been riding for 28 Years and that’s the one and only like ‘proper’ adventure I’ve had on a bike - Like a proper one where anything could happen (and did happen!) There wasn’t a clear result of how it was going to go, or if we were going to make it at all at one point, not to mention all of the other stuff that happened along the way!

All I ever do is drag my S1000 out and do the same old stuff, I’ve binned off track days now as I just can’t afford it any more and I need something different to fill the void. The LDC has kept me really busy for the last few months and I think the challenge has sparked something else in me in terms of an itch to scratch :)
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:19 pm well done that chap.

Of course now it's over I thought of some advice that would have helped riding in the pissing rain, moot point now though & not sure if it was previously mentioned:
Marigolds under your gloves. Doesn't matter how wet the gloves get, your hands remain dry.
This would have helped me so much in hindsight!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Hindsight is freaking awesome isn't it!! :lol: :lol:

For next time :thumbup: :thumbup:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

mikeycee wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 7:55 pm This would have helped me so much in hindsight!
Old courier trick... also tights/yoga pants under your trousers for warmth.... which is fine until you end up in the ER & some nurse starts cutting your clothes off, so FFS don't wear fishnets.
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

and if your gloves will allow it: Jersey knit gloves under the marigolds. Just make sure you can still use the brake/clutch before setting off on an adventure.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Fantastic write up of the adventure and glad you made it. Glad your son's home too :thumbup: The whole thing is a proper challenge especially on those old bikes. Loved Dave's youtube vid seeing all the bikes and riders. Top work to you all.
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Thanks for all of the kind words, its greatly appreciated!

The ZZR Has made it as far south as Aberdeen - Taking a nice relaxing wander back home :lol:

mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Afternoon!

Hope you are all good :)

The ZZR is now home and safe, and I am now working out what to do with her.....

After being dropped off and languishing in the the garage for a couple of weeks I thought this weekend was the best opportunity to have a check over and see how kind the 1500 miles over a few days had been..... Battery still at full charge and started on the button!

A thick layer of (Mostly Scottish) Grime covered the entire bike, but aside from a bit of a dry chain things were looking spot on. The ZZR has been completely De-Sponsored now and has been three quarters cleaned now and is not looking too bad. The plan from here is to finish the clean up and then change out the engine oil when I have some time free of work and family commitments.

Then I need to make a decision on what lies ahead.... Its done me proud and I love the thing but I do not have the space to keep it and I really don't have the money to keep it. As this is the second time the ZZR has completed the LDC (Raising £6600 so far in the process), I would love it to make the run up again next year so I ideally I would like to offer it out to someone who will be participating in the challenge next year. I will see how this goes, but if this does not happen.... I may just try and find somewhere to hide it from the missus for a bit :lol: :shhh:

If anyone is considering taking up the challenge for 2025, you can register interest now ready for the book to be opened for entries in mid December.. If you are thinking about it, it is am amazing challenge..... But definitely do not underestimate it like I did! Thoroughly recommended and so worthwhile raising massive money for a cause that will affect us all at some point.

Whats more, I have a bike ready to go within the required budget for you! :obscene-drinkingcheers:

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

That's scrubbed up quite nicely.

Well done with the fund raising too. It would be quite excellent if it managed 3 in a row. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 1:04 pm That's scrubbed up quite nicely.

Well done with the fund raising too. It would be quite excellent if it managed 3 in a row. :thumbup:
Definitely, would be great to see the rolling total and how many times it could make it.... I am hoping to do it again maybe 2026 so I could buy it back again :lol:
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2024 8:23 pm Old courier trick... also tights/yoga pants under your trousers for warmth.... which is fine until you end up in the ER & some nurse starts cutting your clothes off, so FFS don't wear fishnets.
A bike cop crashed, suffered a broken leg, which was in traction. With his tights hanging where he couldn't reach them :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Took the bike out recently for a little spin round the block for the first time since its arrival home from Inverness, just as a post challenge shakedown and I must day it was good to be back on it to be fair - Its a very fun bike to ride still and I had a few laughs trying to push in around the roundabouts of MK as fast as I dared given the very budget tyres on the wheels and the very bouncy suspension :lol:

On the subject of suspension, the front was very unsettled when pushed; Diving horribly under hard braking and very unsettled - It felt horrible. I had planned to change out the fork oil before the challenge ride but through illness, work and life it didn't get done..... So whilst I had a couple of hours this was the perfect opportunity!

Ive not worked on any forks like these before with no adjustment at all, so once I had the bars off it took me a while to work out that I had to press the top caps down to release the retaining clip to get into the forks..... Live and learn! :roll:

Total oil capacity per fork should be around about the 500ml Mark with a change capacity of 429ml, and this is what I got out of the left fork (Plus the small amount I spilt on the floor)....

The level on the R/H Fork was also low, so I am not surprised the front end was not feeling at its best.

Both forks have now been refilled to the correct levels and everything is back together and in one piece, I am hoping at some point over the weekend to get to the rear shock and see how things are there as well as cleaning and lubricating the linkage. Would like to also get out for a few miles when done to see if there is any difference when done!

Hope you all have a nice long weekend :thumbup:
jcr

Post by jcr »

did you measure the fork spring length whilst you were there? chances are theyre worn beyond the service limit if original.
Ian

Post by Ian »

A new set of springs transformed mine and they weren't expensive £80ish ISTR for Hagon
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Ian wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 6:01 pm A new set of springs transformed mine and they weren't expensive £80ish ISTR for Hagon
jcr wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 5:52 pm did you measure the fork spring length whilst you were there? chances are theyre worn beyond the service limit if original.
I didn’t to be honest, but I will do so this weekend time allowing!