Quick (I Hope!) Charity Project - Kawasaki ZZR600

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
mikeycee

Re: Quick (I Hope!) Charity Project - Kawasaki ZZR600

Post by mikeycee »

Ian wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:02 pm if the clutch is heavy and slipping could it be the cable binding? Mine isn't heavy and never slips. If the cable is binding maybe its never releasing properly
I've not actually disconnected the cable to check in all honesty, Ive not been out to the bike since I parked it up and crawled off of it on Saturday :lol:

I will check that however, I know when I set the free play it seemed to be fine - But I will definitely check the movement and routing this week!
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Evening All!

Hope you are well and have enjoyed this lovely sunny weekend - Is summer here finally? :shifty:

Usual pre-update linky below - If you have any spare cash at all, I can put it to some great use for you my referring you to my donation page below supporting Cancer Research UK:

https://fundraise.cancerresearchuk.org/ ... lenge-2024

I have been working away for a fair part of the last week or so - Because of that not a great deal has happened in terms of investigating and rectifying the clutch issue. But, as my first scheduled long distance run is planned for this Tuesday I needed to get my ass in gear and get the ZZR In a place where I am happy with it. I had spoke to a few of my more knowledgeable contacts about the issue I was having with the clutch, and the general consensus was that it was not something that was going to be adjusted out, and that the problem was going to continue to get worse. In addition to this, providing all goes to plan I will be covering some 3500 Miles in the next 4 Weeks - And the clutch in its current state was not likely to make it that distance.

So the decision was made to strip it out, see how things were inside and take action where needed.

On first inspection, the plates were looking discoloured but not too bad. The steel plates were worn to the point that the markings were not greatly visable and some were slightly discoloured (One was beginning to corrode) - But they didn't look too bad and were not warped in any way.

On measuring the thickness of the plates however, all but one were past their service limit of 2.80mm.

All of the plates that were out of limit were between 2.74 and 2.79mm.

In addition to this, all of the springs were below the minimum service limit of 32.60mm - Not by far, but all were out.

So - Stack height too low, and knackered springs - I assume thats the cause of my issue then!

I knew someone who had a kit available to fit the early ZZR/ZX-6, So I managed to get this from him at a decent price and I also got a new clutch cover gasket from M&P for £6 posted.

New plates out the packet the night before for a good soaking in oil.

Ive never replaced a clutch before, I have never had the need to so I was a bit anxious about doing this job to be honest - I was worried that I would bugger something up badly and screw the assembly or do something daft that would result in the need for the gearbox to be split etc. But yesterday I took the plunge and got on with it. Between doing the work and juggling daddy duties I managed to get it back together just before dark, Which is a good job as I currently have no room to work in my garage which is full of house crap, an S1000RR, an RGV250 and an RG125F in boxes. :think:

Filled the engine back up with fresh oil (I was advised not to use the old oil even though it had only done 250 Miles due to the new plates) and checked for leaks and all was good. Set the initial cable adjustment at the arm and the lever and we were all set. On start up, the bike was fine and ticking over. Pulled the clutch in to select first and the bike lurched forward and stalled. Adjusted the cable a little more, and the same thing happened. Carried on tightening the cable, and managed to get it down to the bike creeping all of the time, this was with max adjustment on the cable and no free play - Things didn't seem right.

I noticed however that as the engine oil warmed up, the creeping eased a little but it was still there. I had just about had enough after a chaotic day so parked it up and left it for the next day where the plan was to have a play with the cable again and take it out for a run to see how it performed and what was happening with this creeping issue.

So today I dragged the ZZR out, set the cable arm end and lever end back to how it should be and again the creep was bad. I headed out and was immediately blown away by how much better the shifting was. Previously 1st to 2nd was horrible, I mean I had to keep off the throttle until second was in and the clutch was fully released before I could even think about getting back on the throttle to avoid a jerky, revvy shift but now its straight in and on to the throttle. The bite point is perfect, and there is no slipping (even from very low revs) in any of the gears.

I spent some time mucking about doing some slow speed stuff on the clutch to test it out, and it was perfect - I also got a little overexcited and did a couple of burnouts too, but then remembered I need to get as many miles out of that rear before I have to change it before the challenge day :lol:

Whats more - The creep has gone completely, even from cold. I am assuming it was caused by the new plates not compressing initially and causing the stack height to be past the maximum level, but once they bedded in the issue went away. Not entirely sure, but that's my assumption.

Really enjoying the ZZR at the moment, we are starting to bond now which is good - Finding out all of the little quirks and the good and bad things. Love how comfortable it is and am still surprised about how well it goes for a 34 Year old bike! Looking forward to getting out on Tuesday for this 500 Mile run out..... We are as ready as we can be at this point!

We also have the route now - I will provide some info and some stats on that soon, One things for sure - I am expecting to get lost :wtf:

Here is my link again if you need it ;)

Thanks for reading - Hope you all have a good week ahead! :thumbup:
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Evening!

If you have any money burning a hole in your pocket - Please can I take it off you in aid of a very good cause? :wave:

So Tuesday was the day of the first real test for the ZZR, The plan was to hit as close as I could to 500 Miles in the day I had booked off of work. After a beautifully sunny weekend and start to the week, I was totally unsurprised to open the curtains to be greeted with a grey, miserable showery morning.... Lovely.

The plan was to cover as many miles as possible, but not to venture too far away from home at the same time. I had a new clutch cable that I wanted to fit also, So I broke the ride up into two halves, with a quick pitstop back at home midway to grab some lunch and get the new clutch cable on which is a five minute job.

Headed out at 0915, Fuel and then on to Hunstanton (Easy route I know well), Stop for a photo and then stop for fuel and straight back home:

That clocked me around 220 Miles, and despite it being mid May - I was bloody cold. When I got back, I grabbed myself some food and got the clutch cable swapped out. Then I got some more layers on underneath my Textiles (I managed to get a pair of Alpinestars trousers to match my jacket for £30, in pretty much as new condition which was good).

Once I was layered up and ready to go, I chose a destination. I had planned some huge circular route of 510 or so miles but scrapped it as I didn't want to venture too far initially and decided to keep home as a centre point at the last minute until I had full confidence in the bike. I had a quick look at Google maps and chose a little round trip to Bristol via Swindon and the M4, and then back home via Gloucester and the M5. Route was easy, and I came off of the M5 at Gloucester and used the A-Roads home via Oxford joining the A34, then M40 and then home.

Sticker off of the side missing - God knows where that ended up :lol:

My textiles got a good test also as the last 85-90 Miles were in torrential rain - And they are not as waterproof as Alpinestars would have you believe! :hmmm:

Those last 40 Miles where a serious chore, I had rode into rush hour in heavy rain on A-Roads with no real passing opportunities - I was just stuck in it and getting impatient....

The ride total was just over 465 Miles, and I was out for 9 hours not including my midway stop. Not bad going for a first run out. To be totally fair, I was the weakest part of the equation. The ZZR Didn't miss a beat, The new clutch has made general riding far more pleasant (The springs are a bit heavy however), the brakes are working ok with the new fluid and a thorough bleed, the engine certainly is no power plant - But its smooth, easy to use and goes well over long distances and is happy to sit all day at 80mph and 7k. I on the other hand was struggling with aching legs and backside so was getting restless on the seat trying to rest different parts of my body at different times! That said, 30 mins off of the bike once I was home and all the pain was gone - I could have probably done another 100 Miles.... Maybe.

Only lasting niggle was in my tailbone, but even thats gone now.

All in all, very happy!

One more run out in the next couple of weeks (Unsure when at the moment), and then its a new rear tyre and new brake pads at the front and we are ready to go :thumbup:

Thanks again for all of your support, I really appreciate it.

As a way of showing my appreciation for everyone's support, some of my sponsors have passed me some bits to give away at the end of the challenge which is really good of them. So far I have some weekend tickets for the BTRC Truck Racing at Truxton (If you have never been you really need to - Its quite the spectacle!), A tour of the JCB World Headquarters, Museum and production site at Uttoxeter and also a (yet to be) Signed visor from Michael Rutter that will have been worn at this years IOM TT - Hopefully they can make some people happy and make the support worthwhile :)

Thanks again, and enjoy your weekend!
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Morning :)

Another update for you on Project ZZR, with the challenge now less than 4 Weeks away we are firmly into final preparations territory - I am looking forward to the challenge.... But with a fair amount of trepidation creeping in as well :wtf: This is going to be the longest ride I have ever completed so its a case of thoughts of if the bike will make it, but also real concern as to if I will make it too. The entire run will be a little over 2000 Miles over three days - For me that covers about 4 Years worth of road riding on my current 'fair weather' pace.

On return from the practice route last week, I was relieved that there were no long lasting aches and pains - The ZZR Seems to have stood up to the run well also with no problems to report aside from a slightly loose chain which was easily adjusted out. No electrical gremlins showing up either following 80 Miles in torrential rain which was a relief.

A Clean chain is certainly a happy chain!

I also received my tracker late last week from BikeTrac which has now been fitted, wired and activated:

Looking at the front brake pads - I have enough left on them for my second practice run so I can hold off swapping them out until the weekend before challenge week. Same with the rear tyre - Although now very much on the on the square side I will persevere with it for this last run so I have fresh rubber on the back for the run down to Lands End. I have a Maxxis Sport touring rear ready for fitting (It was cheap!) and the front is still in decent condition.

My run planned for the second week in June is a 465 Mile wobble through North Wales and back. Will be a good trail on more A/B Roads which I am looking forward to.... And I am hoping the weather will be a little kinder to me this time! :lol:

If there is anything you can spare, feel free to donate via the link below :thumbup:

Thanks, and enjoy your afternoon!
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Hi All,

Hope you have had a nice weekend :king:

Only ten days to go now before challenge day - Anything you can spare would be so very much appreciated!

So the plan was tomorrow to get another 500 Miles under my belt before challenge week - But unfortunately I have been scuppered by a dose of man-flu and the added bonus of a chest infection for good measure.... Lovely :thumbdown: I have been out of action since Thursday but I am over the hump now thankfully and gaining my strength back but there is not one chance of getting a 500 Mile run in tomorrow, especially as rain is forecast all day. I don't want to risk making things worse in any way so I am just going to dodge the showers and maybe get a short hop in, then get the back wheel off and to my tyre guy to get my top of the line, £69 Maxxis Sport touring rubber on and ready to go.

Once the back wheels back on, Then New front pads go in and then I am not going to touch it until I leave for Lands end on Wednesday 19th aside from loading my luggage. I have a growing anxiety creeping up on me concerning doing any more work on the bike or riding any long distances with the challenge now so close.... I keep envisaging breaking something, stripping a critical thread, blowing it up, or something daft that will not leave me enough time to fix it and Ill be out of the challenge - I am being ultra cautious at the moment - Maybe me getting sick was a sign to leave the ZZR alone :lol:

So - I think now we are 90% Ready to go!

I said I would provide some detail on the route but I have totally forgot to do that - apologies. We have been asked not to share the specific route which is fair enough, but I can share with you some stats:
  • Total Distance of 977 Miles
  • 8 Fuel Stops (9 if I want to be ultra cautious)
  • 5 Mandatory Pitstops (Sign in/Sign out) with bike and rider checks
  • One Ferry
  • 37 Towns/Cities/Villages either passed through or passed round (From what I could count!)
Ive broken the route up into stages based on stop to stop, and the plan for me is rather than keep looking at the total distance is to just base things on these smaller chunks which I hope will keep things a little more manageable. I am not trying to kid myself that after 700 Miles that this plan will be still working, but hopefully it will help in some way.

Also to hopefully make things a bit easier on the lower part of my body I have got myself a ComfortAir Cushion. I have not tried it out properly (The plan was to do that tomorrow) - But I think with that the aim will be to use it on a cyclic basis throughout the trip to keep the seat surface changing, giving me something different to sit on every few hours! Will see how that goes with pressures tomorrow and see what works best.

That's about all I have to update on for now, Hopefully no last minute headaches to report this week and we are all good to go :)

Enjoy your week!
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Evening!

One more update for you all before I (Hopefully) set out on Wednesday morning for Lands End.

The bike is ready (As it will ever be)..... But as always in my life, run ups to major events never go very smoothly :hmmm:

If there are any pounds you can spare..... I can help you put it towards a very important cause - Just click the link below!

So, the Chest infection I picked up as part of this man flu - Looks like I wasn't over the hump as I suspected and there was a bit more to come... I got myself an appointment at the GP and I am just coming toward the end of a course of Steriods (They are horrible) and also some Antibiotics. I am pretty much 95% good apart from a bit of a rattle... But unfortunately my little lad picked this virus up also and I am currently writing this from next to his bed in the Children's ward at MK Hospital, where he has been since Friday :(

Myself, the missus, and both my 16yo step son and my little boy have all had this bug but its hit me and the little man the worst and really put us on our asses. When he first went in, I was looking to drop out because I didn't really know where things were going to end up, but he is making an (Albeit slow) recovery and will be out in the next few days. I had a long conversation with the other half about it and she is adamant that I leave on Wednesday morning providing nothing changes - Which I am extremely grateful to her for!

I have had many conversations with the doctors and they all are totally certain there is nothing to be worried about and that it will just take time for him to regain strength and push the virus out, During the day he is happy and running around, but at night his Oxygen Saturation falls through the floor during sleep, and he needs to hit a minimum threshold without support in order to be discharged. So, as of this moment everything is still on and I head for Lands End at 0800 on Wednesday Morning.

So the final preparations were to do a quick shakedown on the rear wheel refit and the new brakes, eat well, take on lots of fluids and get plenty of sleep...... I have not ticked a single one of those boxes unfortunately! Sleep has been minimal as we have been doing shifts at the hospital, my wife has been working also so have been juggling that too. I have started to pack up my stuff, and will complete that tomorrow afternoon, take the bike round the block to make sure the brakes work and the rear wheel doesn't fall off, then relax and get an early night whilst the other half does the overnight at the hospital.

So we are still all systems go, but in a bit of a sidetracked way.

We meet at Lands End at 2pm on Wednesday to touch base, have some photos and do the 'ceremonial' start and then head to the hotel for a final briefing, and an early night! 4am on Thursday morning and we hit the road... I have the route fixed on my route/nav app, I have my directions all printed and in the tank bag, Spare bulbs, fuses, an array of basic tools and cable ties and I am actually quite surprised at what I have been able to fit into my £30 second hand oxford tank bag and £25 Non branded tail pack to be fair! :lol:

If any of you would like to follow my (Potential lack of) Progress during the course of the 20th & 21st, this can be done in via a couple of facebook pages:

This one is my own FB Group that I have used to keep my supporters up to date with on my prep and the challenge itself
https://www.facebook.com/groups/7182216748528929/

This page is the organisers page, and will be updating on the entire team over the course of the day/night/day:
www.facebook.com/TheLongestDayDown

We are good to go, locked and (Almost) Loaded...

Thanks again for all of your support, I really appreciate it! :clap:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

All the best to your little 'un and good luck and dry weather for the ride. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

Jeez man,I dunno how you can be thinking straight with all that going on. Fair play to you for carrying on and all the best for your young lad's recovery and for a safe trip.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Thanks, much appreciated! Been difficult keeping it all together but happy knowing it’s nothing serious and he’s on the mend. Just need to try and focus on the task from tomorrow morning now :)
Ssray

Post by Ssray »

Good luck
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Good luck and more importantly, hope your son is out/on the mend.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Excuse the unsolicited addition...

Ssray

Post by Ssray »

How did you do? I've assisted for a few years and my wife said she will pay half of the entry fee for me next year
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Happy to say that I finished! Albeit outside of the 24hr target due to what was a quite eventful Dunoon - Inverness section.

I’ll post a full update with plenty of pics this week :)

Also can’t believe how stupid I sound on that video, I was a little frazzled and couldn’t get my words out :roll:
ZRX61

Post by ZRX61 »

well done that chap.

Of course now it's over I thought of some advice that would have helped riding in the pissing rain, moot point now though & not sure if it was previously mentioned:
Marigolds under your gloves. Doesn't matter how wet the gloves get, your hands remain dry.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Well done! :thumbup:

(You sound fine on that footage. There's a hint of an RTL sticker there too I think :D ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

ZRX61 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:19 pm well done that chap.

Of course now it's over I thought of some advice that would have helped riding in the pissing rain, moot point now though & not sure if it was previously mentioned:
Marigolds under your gloves. Doesn't matter how wet the gloves get, your hands remain dry.
At a pinch, the free 'diesel' gloves at fuel stations would work.

They're worth having in your pocket anyway, keep your hands clean if anything needs adjustment.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Ian

Post by Ian »

Well done! :clap:
mikeycee

Post by mikeycee »

Afternoon Everyone,

Hope all is well :)

Still time to donate if you can and have anything to spare!

So..... Me and the ZZR Made it.... Just about :banana-dance:

Here is the detail, the feelings and also the photos for you in thanks for all of your support :thumbup:

So the plan was to head down to LE for the inaugural start from the lands end sign on the Wednesday for an initial meet up and photos ahead of our final briefing at the hotel just down the road that evening and getting our heads down prior to our 4am start the following morning. Meet time was scheduled for between 2-4pm for a 4pm staged start. Unfortunately on the way down, myself and a few other riders we caught at the point of a closed A30 due to a lorry fire, A few bike skipped through prior to the closure and a lot of riders were able to divert, but we were caught right at the front, Costing us nearly 2 Hours sitting on a barrier.... Great Start!

Once we got going again we all made it down to LE for a quick rest, some hello's and then the staged start.

Once the evenings briefing was completed, some people headed for bed whilst some people headed out for some last minute fettling and in a few cases last minute repairs to ensure they were able to make the start due to breakdowns on route to LE or from Le to the Hotel. The car park was a hive of activity and a little bit of nervous energy. From my perspective, the ZZR was good, All the basic pre-ride checks were ok and I was happy that I didnt need to do anything, Let alone fiddle for the sake of it! Popped to the shop to top up on pre-emptive pain killer stock, quick beer, and then off to bed nice and early.

I should have got 6 Hours sleep, I got about 2.5 - I was too excited :lol:

Next morning, bright and breezy we hit the road at 4am - Hopefully not waking too many of the hotel residents as 35 Wreckers fire up to a symphony of leaking exhausts and clattering engines, one non starter unfortunately due to an engine failure and was permitted a sub bike, but other than that - Everyone who arrived made the start which was great.

First section should have been a pretty much straight run along the A30 Into Exeter and my first planned fuel stop at circa 120 Miles. After a couple of miles, we quickly encountered our first closure of the run and had to take a huge detour off the beaten track on mainly B Roads to rejoin the A30 quite a few miles down the line. This should have been a quick section, and once we got back on to the main road (Mostly still as a group) we were able to get the pace back up.

Managed to get back to the A30 in time to see the blood red sunrise over the coast, Which was absolutely stunning.

Out of Exeter fuel stop > Warminster > Chippenham > A429 Cirencester for Pitstop 1.

Stopped for water, for a kind soul to check my bike over and clean my visor and then across to the garage for fuel.

Back onto the road Stow bound where I was nearly taken out by a U-Turning Chelsea Tractor who couldnt be bothered to wait at the traffic lights (Emergency stops are not the ZZR's forte!) Then Warwick > Coventry (I got a little lost here and lost a few minutes) > Nuneaton > Burton > Derby > Ripley > Alfreton > Clay Cross....

Fuel Stop at Clay Cross and the 2 Minutes up the road to Pitstop to at MyMoto....

Was surprised to be greeted by a very happy and bouncing Dave Hewson (Obsession Engineering) Who checked the bike over and then thrust his camera in my face with many questions. Love his stuff on YouTube and was a nice boost to see him there to carry on his backing of the event which I have no doubt is increasing its popularity further.

Coffee, Banana, More Water whilst the chain was lubed and tyre pressures checked and then back on the road.

This section, was the section from hell.

A61 Sheffield (No Miles, so much time) > Barnsley (Same) > Chapeltown > Huddersfield > Halifax > Burnley > Padiham > Whalley > Longridge > Broughton A6 Heading for Lancaster.

Very little mileage covered in this section, but so much time taken up.

Pitstop 3 at Guys Thatched Hamlet, Billsborrow.

Amazing place, so many people out supporting us..... Cheering us in and out, it was amazing, emotional and very humbling.

Visor Clean, Bike Checked, Light lunch and some drink, checked in with the missus and the little man (Who was still in hospital :cry:) and then back on the road after a fuel stop a few minutes up the road.

At this point, I felt like I was making good progress..... Which to be fair we were, but the reality was we were not even at the half way point. This was where the sheer scale of this challenge was starting to dawn on me.

A6 Lancaster > Kendal > Penrith > Carlisle > Longtown > Gretna > Dumfries (Fuel) > Kilmarnock > Irvine > Gourock/Mcinroys Point.

This was a long section but as you know the roads open out well and I was able to make good progress to the ferry port headed for Dunoon.

This is where things got interesting.

Currently running at Mid-Pack on the trackers, I hooked up with a guy for the last part of the above section from Carlisle onwards (Karl) Riding a 98 Fireblade, Old one he used to own for years, sold it and brought it back as a wreck that had been sitting in a garage for years and years and was rotten. Worked his ass of getting it going again. Top guy.

Headed for Mcinroys point, and just as we are turning in to the port its dumping its coolant on the floor. The ferry is about to depart (9.30pm sailing) so get on and push the blade on so he can try and see whats happened as we cross over - Its a good job we did too as we later found out the last sailing of the night was cancelled so if we didn't cross then we would have had to divert.

At the other side we limp to a garage for fuel and water and to look at the blade to try and find out whats going on, we manage to drill down to a hose leak/split on the water pump housing and make some readjustments to the connectors in the hope the leak can be sealed. All in all with Fuel, then getting into the blade and trying to get to the bottom of the issue we have probably lost best part of an hour trying to get back on the road.

The other guys are well gone, and we had some work ahead of us.

Starting off very tentatively to ensure no more coolant issues we headed towards Glen Coe, Fort William and then Inverness, the longest section of the challenge at over 200 Miles riding quickly into darkness and torrential rain, which followed us all the way. After all of the problems with the blade, Karl had lost a bit of confidence and asked me to lead, and as I was conscious we had lost some time my riding went to shit for a period and I went into rushed riding, reactive braking, and generally crap standards. This coupled with the Pitch Black, Lochs, Forests and the imposing distant silhouettes of mountains was really not good, and at an isolated set of tempoary traffic lights up some random switch back on the A85 Looking over a huge drop, I had to give my head a serious wobble. We wasnt going to make up an hour by riding like dicks on these roads, in this weather. :wtf:

Head reset, we made good solid progress for more fuel through the darkness and the rain.

On the run into Fort William for the next fuel stop, we pulled over quickly for a stretch, a check on the Blades coolant (Running now on cheap mineral water), and to tighten up once again all of the clips on the water pump. Temp was stable - All was good, At this point between us we expected to be dead last.... But surprisingly that was not the case.

Fort William, Heading for Inverness dealt us another blow with a road closure for resurfacing about 50+ (I think) Miles out. We were told we would be no longer than 30 Mins and the diversion would be closer to 50 Mins, but we were stuck for 45 Mins in total - This is where I was glad I reset my head a couple of hours before, as it would have changed nothing by riding like an idiot. Running up to the closure we caught up with a few more riders, and were relieved to not be the only riders this far out.

Escorted over the newly laid tarmac which was still smoking/steaming and we were back on our way. The last 25 Miles into Inverness, alongside Loch Ness were immense and my favourate part of the ride. Karl got his Mojo back and took the lead and we had a spirited run along the A82 in the wet (Although the rain had eased) along the smooth sweeping bends with the only drama being Bambi nearly taking Karl out at one point, narrowly missing his front wheel!

Pitstop 5 was at Inverness Motorcycles/Haggis Tours

I was so cold at this point, getting off of the bike I was shaking - My alpinestars waterproofs.... Well they really are not. I was a little unsteady on my feet also at this time, from the cold, wet, exhaustion and still fighting a chest infection I guess. I had some food, got some sugar on board and two coffees (This were a flipping lifesaver!) and I felt ready to go again.

Last Stage was fuel straight out of P5 Then Wick bound and on to JOG. Only 118 Miles ish but another 2 Hours in the seat.

The rain was on/off, and the roads were soaked. The scenery was stunning but there was no time to look as we were fully focused on keeping the wheels turning, making progress and getting the job done. The miles ticked down..... Slower and Slower each time. We hit Wick with a bump, literally so as riding through Wick is like riding across the surface of the moon - I have never experienced a road surface so bad in my life. From Wick it was only 16 Miles to JOG..... But those 16 Miles felt as long as the 100 Miles before it..... It was like a lifetime.

Arrival at JOG was 6.22am giving me and Karl a time of 26Hrs 22mins. Although I am gutted to have not made the 24 Hr target, I don't thing 26Hrs is too bad considering the problems with the Blade and the road closure. There was no way I was going to leave Karl in Dunoon on his own, stranded - That would be shit, and I am glad I didn't.

5 hours before that photo I sent a whatsapp to the Missus saying I wasn't enjoying this and I wanted it to be over, but I am so glad I sorted myself out and pushed on, as I was so happy to take this :D

Such a feeling of accomplishment, and I know that if it had not been for the delays we hit we would have been on for a sub 24hr I think.

As my boy was still in hospital (He is home now :) ) I rode back to Inverness in the (Later) morning after a few hours sleep and the ZZR is currently having a well deserved rest back at Pitstop 5 whilst I flew back to Luton to get home as fast as possible as I was in no state to endure another 12 Hour ride home. The ZZR will be back in MK in the coming weeks where I will need to decide what happens with it next.... I wont be doing the LDC Next year, but I know a few people who will be and would love to see it make the run up to the signpost again!

I cant say how crazy this whole experience has been, so many little details I have missed in the above that keep popping into my mind. So many new friends made, so many new memories, skills and experiences, I have never rode even any where close to that far, or that long - Its changed what I know I can do when it comes to riding.

The ZZR is a phenomenal bike, Not compared to the touring or adventure bikes of today on a literal like for like basis - But comparing the touring/adventure bikes to this one taking into account the ZZR is 34 Years old. It didn't miss a beat. The clutch is stiff, the gear box is clunky and the cush drives are as loose as a wobbly tooth - But it goes well and handles amazingly well too and took me the 970 miles as comfortably as any modern bike would... and it cost me £500 (Excluding the brakes I set fire to, a clutch kit and a tyre :lol: ) and it deserves so much credit for that.

I love my little piece of crap ;)

The icing on the cake is that we have this morning passed £92,000 in Donations - Absolutely phenomenal.

There is still time to donate if you have anything to spare too!

Thanks so much to everyone who has donated, followed this thread and offered advice and contributed - This has been a massive part of the journey and I really appreciate everything.

Thanks! :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Well done for making it the full distance!

I have to say : having a ferry on the route seems a bit odd, but I guess there's only so many routes up past Loch Ness, so it's a compromise either way.
non quod, sed quomodo