Russell Brand

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Noggin

Re: Russell Brand

Post by Noggin »

Sunny wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 10:44 pm I saw Russell Kane last weekend. He described the three Russells of comedy (Howard, Kane, Brand) as being known as: 'Cross-eyed, Gobshite, and Rapey'.
I know the last isn’t funny, but I did laugh (so much that the cat ran out of the kitchen!!) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 40954.html
Sometimes, just sometimes, people find God before He finds them... if you get what I mean. Turning to faith and becoming saved is what I deal with daily.

I had a young man who is now in remission from cancer come with his family to ask about Baptism and what that meant. He has never been in Church before, but recognised that he wanted his life safe and his future, both in this world and the next, secured.

The world does not offer much, but perhaps, some find God and begin to see beyond the edge of reality. I truly do hope that Russell Brand's change in character is connected to finding faith in Jesus and that it is a lifelong change of deep meaning and repentance.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

the_priest wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:29 am https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 40954.html
I truly do hope that Russell Brand's change in character is connected to finding faith in Jesus and that it is a lifelong change of deep meaning and repentance.

I doubt it.

Russell Brand wants publicity but is currently suffering some bad publicity. He could have become a Christian quietly and without any fuss like most people probably do but had to tell the world.

I'd suggest his ego is far too big for the Church.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

the_priest wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:29 am
He has never been in Church before, but recognised that he wanted his life safe and his future, both in this world and the next, secured.
Had he not turned up, what would the afterlife had held for him? Would he be denied entry at the Pearly Gates, notwithstanding any good, albeit, atheist, behaviour?
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Yambo wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 10:07 am
the_priest wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 8:29 am https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-ente ... 40954.html
I truly do hope that Russell Brand's change in character is connected to finding faith in Jesus and that it is a lifelong change of deep meaning and repentance.

I doubt it.

Russell Brand wants publicity but is currently suffering some bad publicity. He could have become a Christian quietly and without any fuss like most people probably do but had to tell the world.

I'd suggest his ego is far too big for the Church.
Cut the guy some slack would you? I know loads of people facing historic sex abuse allegations who have been baptised in the Thames by a famous survival expert whilst being photographed for the press.

Oh, wait...hang on...
Potter

Post by Potter »

Edited to remove dark humour that may not be taken in jest.
Last edited by Potter on Thu May 09, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Reminder to add to the terms and conditions.

"The views of posters may not necessarily reflect the views of the Admins and said admins are not liable for any comments made on said forum"
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

weeksy wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 7:30 pm Reminder to add to the terms and conditions.

"The views of posters may not necessarily reflect the views of the Admins and said admins are not liable for any comments made on said forum"
And don't forget the free bottle of plonk....
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/c84z2jqpvpko
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

gremlin wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:37 pm
He has never been in Church before, but recognised that he wanted his life safe and his future, both in this world and the next, secured.
Had he not turned up, what would the afterlife had held for him? Would he be denied entry at the Pearly Gates, notwithstanding any good, albeit, atheist, behaviour?
I'd like to think if the big man upstairs is as merciful as he's cracked up to be, he'd be more interested in my character than how I spent my Sundays.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 8:08 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu May 09, 2024 2:37 pm
I'd like to think if the big man upstairs is as merciful as he's cracked up to be, he'd be more interested in my character than how I spent my Sundays.
I suspect Brand will be diverted "downstairs" to see the bloke with the horns and pitchfork.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Potter

Post by Potter »

I kind of got the impression that if you genuinely go for redemption and honest/genuine faith then you can be forgiven and welcomed in.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:57 pm I kind of got the impression that if you genuinely go for redemption and honest/genuine faith then you can be forgiven and welcomed in.
I'd say the big fella knows when you're taking the piss.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yorick wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 5:31 pm
Potter wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 4:57 pm I kind of got the impression that if you genuinely go for redemption and honest/genuine faith then you can be forgiven and welcomed in.
Fella!

How do you God ain't a bird?

In which case Brand is double fucked!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I think the term is absolved, it's one of the most central and important tenets in Christianity?

You also have to actually mean it. :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:10 pm
I think the term is absolved, it's one of the most central and important tenets in Christianity?

That's what makes the RC church so bizarre to me, you go into a wee box, tell a bloke from Tyrone or somewhere in a dress behind a grille what you did wrong, he gives you some wee rhymes to say and then suddenly all is forgiven?

It's completely nuts.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bigjawa wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 7:31 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:10 pm

That's what makes the RC church so bizarre to me, you go into a wee box, tell a bloke from Tyrone or somewhere in a dress behind a grille what you did wrong, he gives you some wee rhymes to say and then suddenly all is forgiven?

It's completely nuts.
Not being RC, the bit I always struggled with was having a guy up at the front of the church point at everyone and say "YOU have sinned, YOU must repent" - more so when I was working in a local pub and popped into the church sometimes to see one of the irritating drunks I had to deal with regularly standing up there and pointing a finger at the rest of us.

WE would have been a much better word to use!!

Equally, as I went to an RC school (where the rest of us were described as NON-Catholics) and came to the same conclusion as you - that's one hell of a magic wee box they have in those churches!! :lol:

The balance was that I did find a smaller and very inclusive (non creepy) church to go to that did feel like there was understanding and compassion, not the pointy finger of the pissed vicar :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Which fella are we taking about? Allah, Jehovah, Zeus, Odin or any of the other available 3000 deities?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

wheelnut wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 8:56 pm
Which fella are we taking about? Allah, Jehovah, Zeus, Odin or any of the other available 3000 deities?
Cthulhu, obvs.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

It doesn't take much intelligence to work out what Iccy meant.

No points for shit stirring.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Yorick wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:01 pm

It doesn't take much intelligence to work out what Iccy meant.

No points for shit stirring.

Iccy thinks there's a heaven (and a hell presumably) so those with the same beliefs will know what he meant. They're the ones with not much intelligence. :1