What the longest you've ever worked for someone?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Mr. Dazzle

Re: What the longest you've ever worked for someone?

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mrs D got a garden gnome of herself when she hit 10 years.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

gremlin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:14 pm What did you get, if anything, when you hit the milestones?
5 and 10 years was a cash bonus, 15 years was a cash bonus and 3 extra days holiday (but only for that year the tight twats).
20 & 25 years feck all.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

After ten years, the annual leave entitlement went up from 28 days to 33.
Felix

Post by Felix »

13 years with a six month break at about 9 when i was in jail............. Kidding. I went to try something new what turned out to be shit so went back.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Surprised I'm in such good company, I assumed everybody hopped around at least every few years.

20+ years and counting for me, one acquisition down, one redundancy avoided but that was a while back.
crust

Post by crust »

Just coming up to 30 years, worked my way up through the ranks from warehouseman to grumpy old git manager (always look after my lads, means I can give other depts grief with nothing coming back :) )

Got £250 for 25 years.

Got to be time to go soon, hopefully, bored now.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Spent 32 years with PO Telephones/BT.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

As mentioned in a separate thread, 20 years in November. I get a six week paid sabbatical and two extra days annual leave as a reward. If I didn't like my current role there's plenty of other roles and offices dotted about around the country/world that I could move to.
Lockdown refugee
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

34.5 years.

They were extremely generous once you got to the right level:bonuses, stock options and upper decile salary.

But they expected an awful lot from you, 24/7 365.

Sadly we had the task of selling the place and then taking redundancy.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Is 23.5 years in the army eligible?

Lots of different jobs, 6 different ranks (all upwards :1 ) bit of moving around . . .

Got a pension the day I left which, although it was a static amount for 15 years, paid the mortgage for that time.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

First job after school, 9 years at Lucas Aerospace Bradford.

Last job McAfee 8 years.

Current job (retired) 10 years :obscene-birdiedoublered:
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Joined British Rail in 1987 - 7 years later, left BR and went in to working for Railway but private sector. That's the longest I've ever worked for one company - still in the same industry but bounced around every 2 or 3 years.
Vroomy

Post by Vroomy »

I've been with my current employer for about 12 years now. Like you, I used to jump around a lot, but I stumbled upon a company with a great atmosphere and opportunities for growth, so I decided to stick around.
636mick

Post by 636mick »

17 years with the AA, did about 6 different roles at various times. Got some cash at 10 and 15 years.
18 years with National Highways/Highways England/Highways Agency as of the 19th of this month. Bugger all in the way of long service stuff, the company’s opinion is that we should be happy to have a job!!
Problem is I love what we do, I like most of the people I work with and for, and I can retire today if I wanted to, so I stay to be the difficult manager!!
Mick.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Lol at 20 years it looks like we get flowers, chocolates and our mug on the intranet, if what I see from our intranet is true. Oh and some guff about helping working people and being a good comrade for the movement.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Taipan wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 12:21 pm 30 years next month. :crazy:
And 600 motorcycles.
Potter

Post by Potter »

MyLittleStudPony wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:14 am
Back when I was in the media, doing a fast track editor course, they said you only stay for three years. In year one you make the changes, in year two you reap the benefits, in year three you move on.
I think three to five years in senior roles seems to be the way a lot of companies do it, I remember twenty years ago talking to a VP and he said every three years the company expected him and his family to move to the next role/location, he'd just moved to Milan. To be honest he didn't seem over the moon about it and he definitely described it as a sacrifice type of thing.

I've always wanted to get along as quickly as I could, so that's been a similar sort of pathway for me, I've worked for a company for a decade, but I had three promotions and two different countries in that time.

Human beings made a wrong turn somewhere, living in caves and eating what you gather that day must have been a lot simpler :lol:
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Supermarket trucking for J/S.
I did one day for them in 1998,thought fook that,but ended up going back there late 2000 & somehow managed to stay there until Feb last year,21 1/2 years :wtf: I spent the last 3 years shunting trailers around the depot & got talked out of leaving in 2015,the carrot being if I stayed they'd agree to me having all of Summer 2017 off :thumbup:
The reason I stayed was the final salary pension & sharesave,they stopped the final salary & changed our pensions,then the sharesave was getting oversubscribed so there was even less reason to stay in that god awful place.
I got a poxy lapel badge for 10 years service,the 20 year 'award' was more interesting,I went in one day & a clerk in the traffic office gave me two letters,one contained a badge for 20 years service & a letter congratulating me on 20 years loyal service,going on about how good a achievement it was & the other was a final written warning!! There was no badge for the warning...
I don't know if I should be proud of the fact that I stayed at a place that I,like many others, despised for so long or give myself a slap for giving those cahnts so many years of my life.At least I was able to retire at 61,not missed the place for one minute.
MyLittleStudPony

Post by MyLittleStudPony »

Potter wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:56 pm
MyLittleStudPony wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:14 am
Back when I was in the media, doing a fast track editor course, they said you only stay for three years. In year one you make the changes, in year two you reap the benefits, in year three you move on.
I think three to five years in senior roles seems to be the way a lot of companies do it, I remember twenty years ago talking to a VP and he said every three years the company expected him and his family to move to the next role/location, he'd just moved to Milan. To be honest he didn't seem over the moon about it and he definitely described it as a sacrifice type of thing.

I've always wanted to get along as quickly as I could, so that's been a similar sort of pathway for me, I've worked for a company for a decade, but I had three promotions and two different countries in that time.

Human beings made a wrong turn somewhere, living in caves and eating what you gather that day must have been a lot simpler :lol:
I do see the appeal of living in a cave. Even when you compare things now to the 50s, I'm not sure we have advanced the standard of living much. Maybe that's bollocks, I haven't really thought it through.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Potter wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:56 pm
I think three to five years in senior roles seems to be the way a lot of companies do it
Some people move to a new company to move up the ladder. Leaving chaos behind.

I recently checked someone's CV on LinkedIn. About 2 years each in a series of posts. The most recent one was to bring over-spend under control. A check showed it was larger when she left. Just arrived in a new post to address over-spend ...
Even bland can be a type of character :wave: