What the longest you've ever worked for someone?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Nordboy

Re: What the longest you've ever worked for someone?

Post by Nordboy »

23 and a bit yrs in the current job, 22 months and 14 days left before I retire from this role. Will have to continue working though.

I've honestly felt every year, it's been a proper tough job, mentally and physically taken it's toll.

At 20 yrs i got a fucking long service medal. A poxy bit of metal and ribbon. It's been thrown in the box in the garage with the other ones I've got.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Horse wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:30 pm
Potter wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:56 pm
I think three to five years in senior roles seems to be the way a lot of companies do it
Some people move to a new company to move up the ladder. Leaving chaos behind.

I recently checked someone's CV on LinkedIn. About 2 years each in a series of posts. The most recent one was to bring over-spend under control. A check showed it was larger when she left. Just arrived in a new post to address over-spend ...
We call them chickens, they go in, scratch around, get found out and bounced, but they’ll still get a year or so out of it, on mega bucks. I know a chap who has just retired, he did exactly what I’ve described above and with 18 months wages bought a place in the Cotswolds.

I’ve occasionally threatened to do it myself but I keep thinking surely it’s not that easy, then someone else slips in and takes the job and ends up shitting Jags and Jet-skis for a couple of years 😂
Sunny

Post by Sunny »

Six years (three roles there though). I usually do two and bounce, though I've done 3.5 at the current place.
Hoping the next one might last a bit longer, but I have a low boredom threshold 🤣
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Been SE for the last 17 years, boss is a tosser, but I get to shag his wife now and again!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Re milestone awards.

I just remembered i got £450 (weirdly non round right?) for 5 years at my old place. I was actually on my notice period at the time, having resigned a month prior. Maybe they docked me 10%.

I'll get 3 more days annual leave if I hit 5 years at my current place, which'll be next year. I'd much rather have that!

Mrs. D used to earn a day extra annual leave for every year over 5 years. They had to cap that when people were getting into the 40s of days :lol:

My parents house has got quite a few classically 80s/90s long service awards which my Mum and Dad earned at IBM. Carriage clock, barometer, framed mirror....IBM switched to a "points for the catalogue" system at one point, so IIRC my Mum got a Microwave for 25 years :D