What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
ZRX61

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by ZRX61 »

It's been about 34 hours & the prank is still going. His wife has now suggested he get a cowboy hat with a feather in it*. His last msg to be last night was "20th can't come soon enough, not sure how much of this abuse I can take"

Today I ordered an IPR for it & had it sent to his house, in his name.

* I intend to get one for mine & show up wearing it next Wednesday...
cheb

Post by cheb »

After 26 hours of almost constant moving travel I'm only one more train, a short drive, another hotel and a ferry away from being at home.

Madrid to Glasgow to five separate trains starting at just after 0500 yesterday.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

cheb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:48 am After 26 hours of almost constant moving travel I'm only one more train, a short drive, another hotel and a ferry away from being at home.

Madrid to Glasgow to five separate trains starting at just after 0500 yesterday.
Going back to basics, there were once these brothers names Wright....

Why trains? Commendable, but sounds like a bit of a slog.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:37 am Going back to basics, there were once these brothers names Wright....
Interestingly ...

https://www.newscientist.com/definition ... ed-flight/

In June 1848, inventor John Stringfellow achieved the seemingly impossible when his steam-powered aeroplane flew the length of a disused lace mill in the centre of town.

Chard, in Somerset.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:53 pm Spent all fucking day, only just jacked it in and only got this far.

I think it's going to take me a while.

Sometimes I consider if being the stereotypical Yorkshireman is the right mind set to have.
This time next year I might actually have a proper kitchen. IT people shouldn't DIY.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1710409731247.jpg
FB_IMG_1710409731247.jpg (110.19 KiB) Viewed 285 times
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:49 am
KungFooBob wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:53 pm Spent all fucking day, only just jacked it in and only got this far.

Sometimes I consider if being the stereotypical Yorkshireman is the right mind set to have.
This time next year I might actually have a proper kitchen. IT people shouldn't DIY.
Isn't that the same pic as before ?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

weeksy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:53 am

It's got a door on the freezer, door on the top cabinet and an extra drawer!

Also the nearest cabinet is 10mm lower than before, cos I couldn't measure properly first time round!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:59 am

Also the nearest cabinet is 10mm lower than before, cos I couldn't measure properly first time round!
only another 18months work to go then
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

weeksy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:01 am
If it's any consolation, the Gremlinette's bedroom and en-suite is still shell, six months after we stripped it out. She'll be graduated, in full employment and married with two kids and a dog before we finish it, I reckon.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Yeah, but I'll have saved at least £1600 :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:06 am

Yeah, but I'll have saved at least £1600 :)
:Yeah but it'll cost you £150,000 in divorce costs :D
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

You've still got time to tile up to the wall... :)
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Horse

Post by Horse »

gremlin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:03 am
If it's any consolation, the Gremlinette's bedroom and en-suite is still shell, six months after we stripped it out. She'll be graduated, in full employment and married with two kids and a dog before we finish it, I reckon.
Kinell.

If you ever retire, you'll never get anything done!
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Horse wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 1:22 pm
gremlin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:03 am
Kinell.

If you ever retire, you'll never get anything done!
In fairness, we had Christmas, a three week holiday and then a 5 week post-op period in there.

Still bloody disgraceful, mind. :lol:

I'm cracking on. Shower tray delivered, along with the shower panels and I'm making a hash of tape and jointing it the walls this week. Come Easter, I'm smashing it out. ;)
Vroomy

Post by Vroomy »

Today's been a mix of productivity and chill for me.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Vroomy wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 3:42 pm Today's been a mix of productivity and chill for me.
You at the sperm bank again dude?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Felix

Post by Felix »

Rained off so thought ill drive down and do some work in the camperbus. I put a wooden rail along each side to mount new curtain tracking. I thought i shall take them down a cover them in carpet the same as what is on the walls. Dove all the way down in the pissing rain. Got into the bus, open the glue and put a matt down to work on. Took down the first baton/rail and thought. Where is my fucking carpet. Click. I thought i was finished with it two weeks ago and brought it home. Its in my loft and i just drove a 40 mile round trip. When i got home i could not be arsed going back down so basically did sod all.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

A few little wins today:

Managed to hear the dog whining at 6am and got him out before he dropped the mother load of liquid shit 💩. He’s his worn worst enemy, spends 99% of the time sniffing and licking everything he walks past and then looks woefully at me while shitting through the eye of a needle.

Went contract free on mobile devices, £120 per month down to £6 per month. Phone and two iPads on device and airtime plans and I’d got sick of the RPI busting increases, piss takers, 17.3% last year, 8.8% this year. I’ll recoup the wedge of savings I pulled out paying off the device plans in a few months. First time in 20+ years I haven’t upgraded the phone as soon as the contract allowed.

Had the car serviced, major service plus brake fluid change for 520D, £335 all in and data uploaded to car / BMW, labour ex vat was £67 the rest was parts and fluids. I’m surprised the telemetrics haven’t informed the local dealer, who would charge around £300 in labour, the car is due a service.

Father is house went on the market this week so fingers crossed for a prompt sale, anyone looking for a house in god’s waiting room (Hastings)?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

The spirit level is bigger than the kitchen.
cheb

Post by cheb »

gremlin wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:37 am
cheb wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:48 am After 26 hours of almost constant moving travel I'm only one more train, a short drive, another hotel and a ferry away from being at home.

Going back to basics, there were once these brothers names Wright....

Why trains? Commendable, but sounds like a bit of a slog.
It sounds a bit more dramatic than it was. Up at 0430 to tidy and pack. Wander to the first train, local, that goes towards Madrid Atocha. From there a train to Barcelona Sant, 30ish minute connection time. Barcelona Sant to Paris Gare de Lyon, again 30ish minute connection time, arriving in Paris about 1630. Taxi across Paris to Gare du Nord, an early dinner in Terminus Nord before checking in for the Eurostar to London St. Pancreas. Short schlep to London King's Cross for the sleeper to Glasgow Central.

Why? Pick any of these:

I like trains and rail based transportation. I also like going on foreign public transport. The https://schwebebahn.de/en being my favourite.

St Greta made me do it.

Going by train makes it feel more like traveling for me. A country level difference between going a bus in a city rather than the underground. You get to see the changes as you move and the occasional bonus, seeing a remote Moorish Castle as you whizz by at 300km/h. Flying you just take off, land and you are there. A compromise could be flying with Ryanair, booked to fly into Vienna, Austria, and landing in another country.

I'm fairly large and a tightwad. Plane seats are small and I'm too cheap to spring for anything but cattle class. Train seats are just a bit bigger. Yes I know the economics don't add up, it's a psychological thing that it's pointless trying to explain.