MOT style checks for bikes

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
DefTrap

Re: MOT style checks for bikes

Post by DefTrap »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:58 pm With typical French efficiency, bikes registered before April 2017 will need a CT2RM from this April, however, no action will be taken against anyone until August sometime, giving everyone a chance to get tested before Mr Gendarme starts sharpening his pencil!
This also means, that anyone in France, in September, on a motorcycle can expect a tug. Be warned.
Apparently there was to be an enormous FFMC rally in Toulon this weekend, but it's going to be raining, and les motards don't do rain.
My information (googled) is that the 'first CT' will be a staggered requirement (based upon vehicle age, starting with the oldest, the first deadline to complete by December) that will take years to complete. So it's unlikely les coppers are going to single out bikes in general in September.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

DefTrap wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:59 pm
Sadlonelygit wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:58 pm With typical French efficiency, bikes registered before April 2017 will need a CT2RM from this April, however, no action will be taken against anyone until August sometime, giving everyone a chance to get tested before Mr Gendarme starts sharpening his pencil!
This also means, that anyone in France, in September, on a motorcycle can expect a tug. Be warned.
Apparently there was to be an enormous FFMC rally in Toulon this weekend, but it's going to be raining, and les motards don't do rain.
My information (googled) is that the 'first CT' will be a staggered requirement (based upon vehicle age, starting with the oldest, the first deadline to complete by December) that will take years to complete. So it's unlikely les coppers are going to single out bikes in general in September.
If the truth be told, there is so much mis-information about the CT2RM, I think peeps will probably ride around without one until they get tugged and then discover if they need one or not!
Wtf they can't say (ok I know, it's France) from Jan1 all bikes over 5 years of age need a CT. Been told that is 5years for first test, then every 3.
This is what happens when govt gets swayed by lobby groups, a half arsed approach to the law
One can only hope though it rids the roads of those bloody awful SP deathtraps.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

From April 15, 2024, vehicles registered before 2017 will have to take their wheels to an inspector, with a deadline of December 31, 2024.
- The year 2025 concerns vehicles registered between January 1, 2017 and December 31, 2019. ,
- Vehicles registered between January 1, 2020 and December 31, 2021 will have to be checked in 2026.
- Finally, vehicles registered from 2022 will have to go through it after 5 years, then every 3 years.
Courtesy of moto-mag.
Hopefully L'Independant was wrong on it's sources!
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:54 am This is what happens when govt gets swayed by lobby groups, a half arsed approach to the law
Hardly a lobby group - it's a response to an EU directive!
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:28 pm
Sadlonelygit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:54 am This is what happens when govt gets swayed by lobby groups, a half arsed approach to the law
So why havent Ireland and Holland gone for it?
Pretty sure they're both EU.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:28 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:28 pm
So why havent Ireland and Holland gone for it?
It if it in response to an EU directive rather than am EU regulation then it is up to the member state to implement it into their own law, they usually have a time frame to do so, but these can be flexible (although they shouldn't be), and it's up to the member state how to interpret the directive and how it is implemented to meet the directive.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

And as I said.the french govt was lobbied, mainly by DEKRA to bring in a check for motorcycles sooner rather later, when there was no actual requirement to do so.
Hence the anger les motards are feeling towards the test!
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Just re-read the title of this thread and interpreted it as the (UK) MoT will include a style check for bikes. Style police, anyone? 😄
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:54 am
DefTrap wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:59 pm
If the truth be told, there is so much mis-information about the CT2RM, I think peeps will probably ride around without one until they get tugged and then discover if they need one or not!
Wtf they can't say (ok I know, it's France) from Jan1 all bikes over 5 years of age need a CT. Been told that is 5years for first test, then every 3.
This is what happens when govt gets swayed by lobby groups, a half arsed approach to the law
One can only hope though it rids the roads of those bloody awful SP deathtraps.
What’s an SP deathtrap?
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Sans Permis quadricycle
2 seater 600cc auto diesels limited to 32ish mph.
Usually several different colours and held together with gaffer tape.
Can be driven by 14 yo (not normally) or piss heads who've lost their license (usually).
Up till now, just needed insurance to drive, and it showed!
Followed many crabbing their way down the road.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:28 pm So why havent Ireland and Holland gone for it?
Ireland, Netherlands & Finland have been 'encouraged' to comply.

Here's the FEMA 2021 article which sums up the EU position pretty well.

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/ep-tech ... spections/

The rationale behind rejecting testing is - for FEMA anyway - based on their claim that less than 1% of bike crashes are CAUSED by technical issues with the bike. I'd be interested to know the proportion where machine condition was a contributory factor - I suspect it's quite a bit higher, particularly given the number of bikes in France I've seen with bald tyres and worn-out pads!

I agree that DEKRA have had far too much influence on setting out the legislation.

But the point remains - it was not a random lobby group that got France moving on technical inspections, it was a legal challenge to Macron's decision to unilaterally halt the adoption of the tests, a decision that had been taken by the French government after consulting - AFAIK - with interest groups like the FMEC.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Soooooooo, the advice from the FFMC regarding not conforming to a CT, unbelievably it's a head in the sand, we need martyrs mentality!

"What attitude should boycotters adopt in the event of a police check?
This is what the French Federation of Angry Bikers (FFMC) points out. The members of the entity recently published a legal guide to the boycott of this measure . They discuss the timing of police checks and give advice on what to do for boycotters:

“What to do in the event of a police check?”

"Have an impeccable motorcycle in terms of safety (tires, brakes, steering, equipment, etc.)

Be polite and explain that you didn't have time, that the appointment was canceled, that there was no space for 3 months, that you made an appointment for next week, etc. . and above all, in the case where the cop (sic) is intractable (probably not too much, at least at the beginning) be ready to pay 90€ for the cause!”

Protect your registration card
The authors of the guide also point out that the registration document can be seized. To avoid this:

"You can only have one copy of this but this exposes you to a fine of €11 for failure to present the vehicle papers and still requires you to present it within 5 days to the police or gendarmerie station"

So basically they're saying risk a €100+ fine and possible seizure of your bike for not having a €70 CT.
Once the insurance companies change the wording of their policies as well ie insured vehicle must be roadworthy, then it will be riding without insurance as well and a whole world of pain.
I think 8 months to get all pre 2017 bikes tested is a bit of an ask, we'll see come December if there's an extension!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 1:43 pm Have an impeccable motorcycle in terms of safety (tires, brakes, steering, equipment, etc.
I say- that’s taking things a bit far!
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

Lutin wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:03 am Does anyone on here know which countries, particularly in Europe, have an MOT style check for bikes and which do not?

Here in Ireland there are no such check on bikes, any other countries?
Malta has no such check for motorcycles. The EU isn't happy about that, and it'll happen eventually. Probably.

Cars are tested first at 4 years old, then biannually until 160k km, then annually after that.
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Just noticed a plethora of bikes come up for sale aroundabouts me on FBMP, nearly all are 'CG not up to date'
Over here you have to pay to register a vehicle, and, I have been informed, unless you can get the previous owners to stump up their share of the registration, you're liable. Also the paperwork involved is horrendous, and the vehicle still legally belongs to the name on the CG until it's changed.
The other issue is 'project' bikes. Cars have to be sold with a min 18 months test, no one has mentioned bike limits yet!
We live in interesting times
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I've got a little mobylette in the shed with no paperwork - if anyone with la paperwork originale wants to show up they can have the effing thing!
It's arguably my eldest's - on the basis that my youngest was even less interested at the time. Neither of them have looked at it in over 10 years. I got it started it up in the depths of Lockdown#1 when I was desperately bored one sunny weekend.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Turns out it's an mbk
Attachments
IMG_20200508_124448269_1_1000.jpg
IMG_20200508_124448269_1_1000.jpg (954.71 KiB) Viewed 637 times
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Local gendarmerie FB page came up with this beauty after the weekend shenanigans!
FB_IMG_1713257423837.jpg
FB_IMG_1713257423837.jpg (214.44 KiB) Viewed 604 times
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 11:01 am Sans Permis quadricycle
2 seater 600cc auto diesels limited to 32ish mph.
Usually several different colours and held together with gaffer tape.
Can be driven by 14 yo (not normally) or piss heads who've lost their license (usually).
Up till now, just needed insurance to drive, and it showed!
Followed many crabbing their way down the road.
Those things are dangerous. There's one particular model which seems very popular, which is the spitting image of a regular Renault Clio from the rear, but it's 3/4 the size. From a distance on a straight road, you're approaching this car which seems to be a regular Clio about 500yards away..... suddenly it's less than 100yards away and only doing 40kmh!
non quod, sed quomodo