You've got 14 days off, no ties, you've been given £3000 to make a 'greatest motorcycle trip'

Anything you like about motorbikes
Druid

Re: You've got 14 days off, no ties, you've been given £3000 to make a 'greatest motorcycle trip'

Post by Druid »

Skub wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:13 pm I wouldn't need 3k,but the 14 days is a bit miserly.

I'd book a couple of MotoGP rounds,drift down and drift back.

Conversely,if I'm guaranteed good weather,I'd buy a set of trick wheels for the Zed and blow the rest on petrol and lodgings around Scotchland.
You'd be guaranteed good weather on one of the 14 days in Scotland ;)

I have an urge to revisit the Tatra mountains in Slovakia, 14 days should be just about long enough to get there and back avoiding motorways and dual carriageways
KungFooBob

Re: You've got 14 days off, no ties, you've been given £3000 to make a 'greatest motorcycle trip'

Post by KungFooBob »

A jaunt to the Black Sea would be a good trip I reckon.

You'd get to take in the transfagarasan highway if you cut through Romania.

I don't have that much time so I reckon my next trip is to Lake Batalon in Hungary.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:04 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:15 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:11 pm

Really ? Wow... surprised.
The scenario you described is what I have all the time.

I wouldn't chuck £3k at the Ring. But would if you were paying :mrgreen:
OK. I'll have another go.
I keep pondering surprising 2 of my riding pals and treating them to a trip to UK and doing Caldwell, Brands GP and Donny. Other pal is loaded and can pay himself ;)

3 grand would cover it all nicely.
Thanks Bud. :thumbup: Would your generosity also run to a set of Supercorsas for me sh300 too, cos i'm going to need an edge...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:56 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:04 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:15 pm
The scenario you described is what I have all the time.

I wouldn't chuck £3k at the Ring. But would if you were paying :mrgreen:
OK. I'll have another go.
I keep pondering surprising 2 of my riding pals and treating them to a trip to UK and doing Caldwell, Brands GP and Donny. Other pal is loaded and can pay himself ;)

3 grand would cover it all nicely.
Thanks Bud. :thumbup: Would your generosity also run to a set of Supercorsas for me sh300 too, cos i'm going to need an edge...
A man of your ability would be happy on a cheapo pair of shitty Taiwan tyres.
Don't want the GP hero wannabes saying the top tyres made you faster.
rodbargee

Post by rodbargee »

Ferry to Santander and redo the N260 from PAmplona down to perpignon and return via the route napoleon Over the Millau bridge And back up through France
G.P

Post by G.P »

@weeksy I Haven't read all the replies but you seem to be going to all the places you've been before. Go to new places, push your imagination a bit.
£1k would get you a return flight to anywhere on the planet. Then you've got £2k plus half a months expenses to go and explore.
I'd be doing the antipodes, USA, southern Europe etc...
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

I've already done the tour UK thing and Tour Northern Europe and Norway but the one i havent ticked off yet is Spain through to Italy and back again.

Ferry to Santander, cross over to Northern Italy then head south and do a loop and back again. As long as i dont pussy on mileage per day its easily doable on that budget as its going to be mainly fuel and the 6500 mile Norway tour was about a grand in fuel over the whole trip

I was thinking about riding to Faro and back next year but decided to save the mileage on the bike for touring rather than "getting there" so will ship it out and fly to meet it

If i wasnt using my own bike then the US west coast is on the list but a 2 week tour there on a rental bike is over the 3K budget by a long way ;)

I should add for a third of the budget, half the time i am already ticking a huge box next year :thumbup: :thumbup:
636mick

Post by 636mick »

Assuming I have a nice Triumph Trophy to ride, back to Croatia but do more of Bosnia that I missed in 2014. Then Slovenia for a day at Bled, into Austria just for the peace of sitting on the side of Gerlos Pass with food, wine and music. Probably Munich to go to Dachau again, lost all my photos, up towards Koblenz to visit friends, then Amsterdam to finish by doing more family research.
If there’s anything left I would just waste it!!
Mick.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

Could I have three such trips, please? One to Scandinavia, another to Eastern Europe and third to the Alps and environs. Surely that's not too much to ask, boss, given how hard I've worked?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Scootabout wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:38 pm Could I have three such trips, please? One to Scandinavia, another to Eastern Europe and third to the Alps and environs. Surely that's not too much to ask, boss, given how hard I've worked?
You can retire and live on the bike
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

weeksy wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:39 pm
You can retire and live on the bike
I'm already retired, and I'm tempted to, but, er, others may not see it the same way....
millemille

Post by millemille »

There's a road on Crete, the E75, that runs along the north east coast line which I've driven a couple of times and vowed I'd ride on a decent bike at some time.

So maybe head off on the Multistretta, along the French coast to Le Touquet, then via the Ardeche down to Cannes, along the coast and then up into the Alps, across the top of Ital, down the Croatian Adriatic coast, blast through Albania with my eyes shut and into Greece and ferry over to Crete. Maybe 5 days to get there...

Few days hammering up and down the E75 and some of the other roads on the Island and then back again.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I'd pack my boots, gloves and helmet and fly to the Canary Islands - pretty good weather all year being near the equator and one of the sunniest places in the world. I'd stay in a luxury cave with sea views and hire whatever bike I could reach the ground on and ride until I was sick of hairpins. I looked into it a couple of years ago and I seem to remember that there's over 2,000 hairpins on Gran Canaria alone and plenty of ferries between the islands. Sold!
Lockdown refugee
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

On the mighty K1200R, blitz my way across France via back roads and Italy to Hungary and then back via Austria/Germany, get the Ring in for a couple of laps and then meander home after buying new tyres... I'd stay in nice hotels. No point otherwise.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

the_priest wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:39 am I'd stay in nice hotels. No point otherwise.
I wasn't expecting us all to sleep in tents, that's why i gave us a decent budget :)
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

If Ive got to take my own bike, then it would be a long weekend in the dales by the time i've got it rideable..
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

chillitt wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:01 am If Ive got to take my own bike, then it would be a long weekend in the dales by the time i've got it rideable..
You can buy/loan/hire one... just comes out of the £3000 budget so you may be tenting it :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:45 am
I wasn't expecting us all to sleep in tents, that's why i gave us a decent budget :)
That used to be part of the buzz for me, strap a tent on the back and just pitch it where I end up at the end of the day and can't ride any more.

But now I'm soft and whilst in my head the fantasy sounds great, I know I'd wake up stiff as a board, with an ant crawling in my ear and spend the rest of the day like a bear with a sore head :lol:

It's hotels and nice pillows for me, then a hot shower and two coffees or I'm riding nowhere.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Trinity765 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:26 am I'd pack my boots, gloves and helmet and fly to the Canary Islands - pretty good weather all year being near the equator and one of the sunniest places in the world. I'd stay in a luxury cave with sea views and hire whatever bike I could reach the ground on and ride until I was sick of hairpins. I looked into it a couple of years ago and I seem to remember that there's over 2,000 hairpins on Gran Canaria alone and plenty of ferries between the islands. Sold!
Yup. It's not too bad over here ;)
millemille

Post by millemille »

1888 wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:06 am I did all that road by mistake....
We've been to Crete twice, first time was a proper holiday from hell kind of affair...

Flight out was delayed by 14 hours. The landing at Heraklion was so hard it broke the plane. Arrived at the hotel in Platanes, a couple of miles east of Rethimno, in the small hours absolutely knackered. Get woken up at five in the morning by a god awful loud stream of diesel engines. Stagger out on to the balcony to find our room overlooks the road that runs up to local dump and all the dustcarts are grinding up the steep hill past the hotel. Demand to get the room changed. Get a new room. Decide to go and have a mooch down to the sea which is only 300 meters away according to the brochure. As the crow flies, maybe, but not when the E75 is between the hotel and the sea. It was a good half hour walk down the hill and along the E75 to find an underpass to get past the E75 and then walk back on the other side of the E75 back to Platanes and then down to the sea.

Food in the hotel was terrible. Our room was infested with fleas. Demand a new room. Get a new room. The food in the restaurants in Platanes town was ok but I became convinced they all shared the same underground kitchen and it was just put on different plates.

Hotel was full of a massive Scouse Pikey family, all screaming kids and rowing and drinking to excess.

Decided to go to Rethimno one evening to see if we could get something different to eat and ended up in a Chinese restaurant on the sea front right near the front by the pavement. I was wearing a Ted Baker union jack shirt and couldn't work out why I was getting lots of dirty looks from passing groups of lads, some even stopping and staring. Turns out Rethimno is/was very popular with ze Jarmans and Engerland had beaten them at footing the ball the night before...

Then someone told us about this lovely taverna, Taverna Fantastiko, up in the mountains that was popular with the locals so we decided to go up there for dinner. Booked a taxi to take us up there, a drive up increasingly steep and narrow and winding roads. Get there, this is more like it. Sitting on the terrace looking down over Rethimno and out so sea...

..lovely food, the sun setting, the smell of wild jasmine, the clanking of goat bells as local lads bring the herds down of the hills for the night.

Few more drinks and the sun is set and the lights are twinkling down below us and there's a few boats out on the sea. Glorious.

And then we decide it's time to head home and ask the waiter if he can call us a taxi. And that's when the wheels fall off.

No taxi will come up there to pick up, only if they've taken you up and you've booked a return.

2 hours we sit there while they try to get a taxi for us, but no joy. We're resigned to a long and painful walk, in the dark, down of the hills and probably dying in the process when the waiter takes pity on us and says he'll give us a lift back down to civilisation at the end of his shift.

He won't take any money for it, but we've left him a massive tip already as we thought he wouldn't.....