What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by gremlin »

Went to the Biggin Hill museum. As it's only 15 minutes away and I have an interest in the content, I'd rate it a personal 7/10*, not least as the toilets were nice and a cappuccino was £3.
The Chapel is still as it has been since I can remember, only last time I took the Gremlinette on a cold, rainy half term (still to be forgiven. Sorry, kid.) many years ago we had an impromptu tour by a nice old boy. Sat there this morning was a miserable looking old girl who didn't even give me a nod of welcome.

*That said, if you'd have driven from miles away I can't help but think you'd be a little disappointed.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

And this afternoon I have sprayed a couple of wall mirrors from silver to gold. Silver is sooooo last Thursday.
IMG-20240220-WA0000_copy_864x1536.jpg
IMG-20240220-WA0000_copy_864x1536.jpg (354.77 KiB) Viewed 309 times
Should have worn a mask, as I now have gold bogies.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

gremlin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:25 pm And this afternoon I have sprayed a couple of wall mirrors from silver to gold. Silver is sooooo last Thursday.
TBF that looks very "Jewish Racing Gold"
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Sacked off work and heading into the smoke for a slap-up dinner with Beanie and Metz.
non quod, sed quomodo
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Been to a presentation on Tudor clothing. :D It wasn't as stuffy as it sounds, the presenters were all dressed in the style and were informative and funny. There were also some 'by the way factoids'....you know Puritans were always depicted dressed in black (and white) right? (They did, on Sundays, but the rest of the week they wore heavily dyed clothing at other times). It wasn't about piety and simplicity...black was the most expensive colour as it relied on multiple dyeings of numerous sorts. Ditto the heavily dyed stuff in the week....it all radiated...money and therefore power). Norralorra people know that.

Had a lightning raid on a gents outfitters sale. Bought one thing in the sale (saved £42 :thumbup: ) and 6 things not in the sale, including the world's most luxe beany hat (from New Zealand) made of 40% possum fur, 53% merino and 7% silk. I may never take it off. :lol: (The rest was hankies, socks etc).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:32 pm Been to a presentation on Tudor clothing. :D It wasn't as stuffy as it sounds, the presenters were all dressed in the style and were informative and funny. There were also some 'by the way factoids'....you know Puritans were always depicted dressed in black (and white) right? (They did, on Sundays, but the rest of the week they wore heavily dyed clothing at other times). It wasn't about piety and simplicity...black was the most expensive colour as it relied on multiple dyeings of numerous sorts. Ditto the heavily dyed stuff in the week....it all radiated...money and therefore power). Norralorra people know that.
The Puritans weren't in the Tudor times??
Count Steer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:32 pm Had a lightning raid on a gents outfitters sale. Bought one thing in the sale (saved £42 :thumbup: ) and 6 things not in the sale, including the world's most luxe beany hat (from New Zealand) made of 40% possum fur, 53% merino and 7% silk. I may never take it off. :lol: (The rest was hankies, socks etc).
How quintessentially Peaslake !
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr Moofo wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:37 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:32 pm Been to a presentation on Tudor clothing. :D It wasn't as stuffy as it sounds, the presenters were all dressed in the style and were informative and funny. There were also some 'by the way factoids'....you know Puritans were always depicted dressed in black (and white) right? (They did, on Sundays, but the rest of the week they wore heavily dyed clothing at other times). It wasn't about piety and simplicity...black was the most expensive colour as it relied on multiple dyeings of numerous sorts. Ditto the heavily dyed stuff in the week....it all radiated...money and therefore power). Norralorra people know that.
The Puritans weren't in the Tudor times??
Count Steer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:32 pm Had a lightning raid on a gents outfitters sale. Bought one thing in the sale (saved £42 :thumbup: ) and 6 things not in the sale, including the world's most luxe beany hat (from New Zealand) made of 40% possum fur, 53% merino and 7% silk. I may never take it off. :lol: (The rest was hankies, socks etc).
How quintessentially Peaslake !
Yeah....that's why it was a 'by the way factoid'...they were talking about how the richer you were the more deeply dyed your clothing and black was the most expensive. (I thought I was going to a thing about medieval clothing so there's a bit a bit of leeway here and there. It was about Henry VIII's era, so there's almost an overlap :lol: ).

There were laws dictating who could wear what too. The 'sumptuary laws'.

I expect the good residents of Peaslake to shower me with cheese straws from the village shop until I let them in on the secret of where they may avail themselves of such fine headgear. (I will ask them whether the sumptuary laws will permit them, being mainly serfs and tradespeople, to wear such an item). :lol:
Voltaire
David

Post by David »

Had a lightning raid on a gents outfitters sale. Bought one thing in the sale (saved £42 :thumbup: ) and 6 things not in the sale, including the world's most luxe beany hat (from New Zealand) made of 40% possum fur, 53% merino and 7% silk. I may never take it off. :lol: (The rest was hankies, socks etc).
We found a shop in Castle Cary flogging 100% Possum sweatwrs and stuff....apparently v. warm.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

David wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:02 pm
We found a shop in Castle Cary flogging 100% Possum sweatwrs and stuff....apparently v. warm.
Yup. Apparently possum fur is a hollow core fibre so v light and v warm. The missus has a possum fur cardie but I'm pretty sure it's not 100%....just checked, it's the same blend. 100% would be v expensive and most offerings seem to be a blend with merino wool. (I guess the New Zealanders have plenty of that!).

(The possum aren't farmed, they're exterminated as a pest* so it's a conservation grade beanie hat too. :lol: ).

* Apparently the cute little buggers eat 22,000 tonnes of NZ forest..............every night. :shock:
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:15 pm (The possum aren't farmed, they're exterminated as a pest* so it's a conservation grade beanie hat too. :lol: ).
20240220_203402.jpg
20240220_203402.jpg (227.46 KiB) Viewed 244 times
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
David

Post by David »

gremlin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 4:25 pm And this afternoon I have sprayed a couple of wall mirrors from silver to gold. Silver is sooooo last Thursday.
Worry not, they will set the toe nails off beautifully.....
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Walked a bit this morning - only 1.5kms, but all up!! It's probably 2.5kms to the top, still haven't made it there, but I was banned from skiing/touring for about ten days cos of back pain. Hopefully that's over now, but damn my shoulder/arm still doesn't like touring. Views are always worth it though, and the ski back down :D :D

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Well, after the calm and chill of a ski tour this morning I have returned home this evening absolutely shitfaced! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is quite unusual for me as I can generally drink a lot more than people expect without getting the wobbles!!

BUT - I forgot to have lunch! I had some bitso f bread with topping (baguette apero thingies!) from the boulangerie this morning after the ski tour and then a slice of hoomemade bread with pate for 'lunch'.

Definitely not enough (or at least not close enough to drinking time) to deal with the 5 large rum and lemonades I drank :lol: :lol: :lol:

And -

Not only shitfaced but emotional. FFS :roll: :roll: :roll: I went to a bar in 1800 first - not somewhere I go often as I know most of the seasonaires but don't have anyone to talk to even when I know people in the bars. So, went cos a mate was DJing. As normal, there were two lots of people I knew but they said hi and walked past. I'm not brave enough/confident enough to just join a group. If they say hi and walk past i think they really don't want me to join in. So I sat near my mate, but as he was DJing, he couldn't chat. This isn't unusual. I'm very aware of how to be in a place full of people I know but feel lonely. I can sit in any bar in Centre and not be lonely. I'll know quite a lot of people up here (ok, all french!) but mostly they'll come and chat and move on, for some reason I don't feel lonely up here. But in 1800,, I can sit in a bar full of people I've known for 10-13 years and be lonely with no one to talk to.

So, I walked down to another bar. A mate said she and her hubby were heading there so at least I'd have people to talk to. But, add in 4 more rums and i didn't get past the emotional bit :roll: :roll: :roll: FFS, not like me at all. We had some good chat too, but as I had the last rum I was past controlling the emotional bit :( :(

Got the bus home cos I knew I wouldn't be able to drink anymore and get home!! My favourite bus driver was driving, but couldn't even drunkenly flirt with him cos he was chattign with other people (who could speak french a lot better than me - they're French and I"m pissed!!!) :roll: :roll:

My chicken pie has beeped that it should be reheated so I'm gonna eat pie and drink water and go to bed!! Will leave the 5.30am alarm on incase I do feel human again at that time to go for a ski tour but two things against me - can't see me feeling great and the forecast is threatening snow!! LOL

Here's hoping that the snow is before 5.30 and I feel a LOT better than I feel right now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

Day 2 of looking after a daughter with chickenpox... The worst bit's still to come, poor thing.
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Sorry to hear that Chris.
I’ve fixed my turntable with a new belt …thought it was knackered .
David

Post by David »

Noggin wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:48 pm Well, after the calm and chill of a ski tour this morning I have returned home this evening absolutely shitfaced! :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is quite unusual for me as I can generally drink a lot more than people expect without getting the wobbles!!

BUT - I forgot to have lunch! I had some bitso f bread with topping (baguette apero thingies!) from the boulangerie this morning after the ski tour and then a slice of hoomemade bread with pate for 'lunch'.

Definitely not enough (or at least not close enough to drinking time) to deal with the 5 large rum and lemonades I drank :lol: :lol: :lol:

And -

Not only shitfaced but emotional. FFS :roll: :roll: :roll: I went to a bar in 1800 first - not somewhere I go often as I know most of the seasonaires but don't have anyone to talk to even when I know people in the bars. So, went cos a mate was DJing. As normal, there were two lots of people I knew but they said hi and walked past. I'm not brave enough/confident enough to just join a group. If they say hi and walk past i think they really don't want me to join in. So I sat near my mate, but as he was DJing, he couldn't chat. This isn't unusual. I'm very aware of how to be in a place full of people I know but feel lonely. I can sit in any bar in Centre and not be lonely. I'll know quite a lot of people up here (ok, all french!) but mostly they'll come and chat and move on, for some reason I don't feel lonely up here. But in 1800,, I can sit in a bar full of people I've known for 10-13 years and be lonely with no one to talk to.

So, I walked down to another bar. A mate said she and her hubby were heading there so at least I'd have people to talk to. But, add in 4 more rums and i didn't get past the emotional bit :roll: :roll: :roll: FFS, not like me at all. We had some good chat too, but as I had the last rum I was past controlling the emotional bit :( :(

Got the bus home cos I knew I wouldn't be able to drink anymore and get home!! My favourite bus driver was driving, but couldn't even drunkenly flirt with him cos he was chattign with other people (who could speak french a lot better than me - they're French and I"m pissed!!!) :roll: :roll:

My chicken pie has beeped that it should be reheated so I'm gonna eat pie and drink water and go to bed!! Will leave the 5.30am alarm on incase I do feel human again at that time to go for a ski tour but two things against me - can't see me feeling great and the forecast is threatening snow!! LOL

Here's hoping that the snow is before 5.30 and I feel a LOT better than I feel right now :lol: :lol: :lol:
Noggers...have a couple of friendly (non sexual) hugs.
Be brave, we knoes you are.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Got up far too early. Collected parishioner and her husband, drove them to the Hatton Cross Tribunal Court for her immigration hearing. Left at 7am and got there at 9.15, a nice easy drive on the M25/M3. We were finally seen at 2pm, had to state name, dob and address as I am a supporting witness. Prosecutor asked if I knew where she lived, I said "I should, I collected them in my car this morning to drive them here and will take them home afterwards". Judge smiled... ;-) Just gave my statement that she has faithfully attended church on Sunday's and Wednesdays when her shifts allow, and that she is a proper member of the community, giving generously to the foodbank when she can and delivering things by public transports to those in need, or walking things around in the local area (all in my supporting letter as well). And the fact that she was known the the Residential Canon who looked after the church for a year in the interregnum and that I know him and trust his judgement. Home for pizza and now I'm quite tired. I have a day of rest tomorrow, but will be busy... such is the way of things. At least I get to collect my plum tree and plant it at the weekend, excited about that.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

At least I get to collect my plum tree and plant it at the weekend, excited about that.
[/quote]
Got mine yesterday(Victoria plum) also planting this weekend :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I stayed too long in the restraurant after work. We didn't even make it to ordering main courses, after the starters were done I needed to make my excuses.
We were several bottles of red in so I don't feel guilty and I'm now on the last train. I didn't make a massive tit of myself despite stories of Amsterdam and Manilla so I call you that a win.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Noggin wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:51 am

Did someone Napalm that poor skier :shock: