Talk to me about the TT

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
Cousin Jack

Re: Talk to me about the TT

Post by Cousin Jack »

Perhaps I just need to amend my bucket list to read Manx GP.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bustaspoke wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 5:06 pm I've been to the TT a few times,but IMHO these days it's full of people doing the 'Social media look at me thing' & I've never been on my motorbike it's full of proper dickheads,yo'll be doing well to get a couple of laps in.
The Manx GP/Classic TT,on the other hand is one of the highlights of my summer.Ferry costs £150 bike & rider,tickets go on sale in November :thumbup:
I haven't been for years and even back then (before they made the mountain one way on a sunday!) there were plenty of dickheads! But, if you pick your times, you could get a nice lap in without scaring the locals or seeing too many eejits. Helped that I wasn't bothered about drinking, so I would go out when everyone headed to the pubs :D :D Early mornings weren't ideal as you had hungover eejits :shock: :shock:

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 8:07 pm Perhaps I just need to amend my bucket list to read Manx GP.
I loved both - for different reasons. I'd go to both still if I could (just a bastard long way now! LOL).

The TT had more of an element of madness in general and the racing was incredible (even faster now). Marshalling was awesome, not option to take photos, but sooooo close to the racing (obviously always the chance you'll have to deal with an incident)

The Manx was just amazing for the bikes. I LOVED coming off the ferry next to bikes that had visible moving engine parts!! Some looked like a trombone or something!! :lol: And the smell of the racing bikes, the SMELL :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:

They are both similar but so different - it would be worth going to both, just pick your times. Maybe only a few days at the TT (there's a risk of bad weather so you might not see racing, but might be ok) and hope for good weather so you can do a late lap!! The Manx, I think they've shortened it which is a shame, but I'd do as much of the time as possible!

I would always recommend thinking about Marshalling - it could be a bit of a challenge, but with a lack of them, no racing :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I wonder if there's a waiting list for the hotel/package job. Some folk will always drop out for one reason or another.

Those campsites that do the ready made tent experience wouldn't be a terrible option, everything included, cuts the luggage carrying down a lot. St John's football club do it. I've camped there a few times, it's nice. Cooked breakfast, evening meal and bar, showers, toilets. Tynwald pub up the road and bus to Peel for evening. Bloke called Brian used to run it, money went to the football club. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

It might have changed, but the Stream Racket used to let you book with no (or very little) deposit and then only take payment 6 weeks (or something similar) before the sailing.

So people used to book 'just in case' they wanted to go and then cancelled before the payment was due. It meant loads of tickets suddenly became available a short period of time before the main event.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

KungFooBob wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:13 pm It might have changed, but the Stream Racket used to let you book with no (or very little) deposit and then only take payment 6 weeks (or something similar) before the sailing.

So people used to book 'just in case' they wanted to go and then cancelled before the payment was due. It meant loads of tickets suddenly became available a short period of time before the main event.
Still like that. Not sure of the exact time the tickets come up, but yes
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Tickets go on sale March 1st. Early
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Just looked...you can get sailings with motorbike on Thursday may 30 and return Sunday June 9. Race week starting Saturday June 1. or return Wednesday or go out midway through. Once booked you can change anytime, as better sailings come available.

As said, accommodation is the tricky one. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Yamaha rocket 3
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

For anyone interested in the TT but not wanting the hassle of getting there this app is good; https://ttplus.iomttraces.com/browse I subscribed when it first got released,there's lots of stuff on there & they upload throughout the year :thumbup:
Most times when I go there with my mates we take our pushbikes,you can ride along the old railway line 'Heritage trail',from Quarter Bridge to Peel,using the pushbike you can watch from all the points on the outside of the circuit between Quarter Bridge to Ballig Bridge & avoid going on the road.
Vroomy

Post by Vroomy »

I'd say definitely look into those ferry alternatives and maybe give the event organizers a shout for the Classic TT dates.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Vroomy wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:45 am I'd say definitely look into those ferry alternatives and maybe give the event organizers a shout for the Classic TT dates.
Sez the AI bot...
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

I've known folk just go for practice week, still get a good taste of it. Airbnb.

https://air.tl/waJxPaXl

Or

https://air.tl/gusOrNXp
Yamaha rocket 3
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Just booked for the annual 10 day NW200 trip - only the 3 of us this year as very sadly Geddon John died last autumn. He was one of the stalwarts - every year since 2001 on R1/Mille R/Busa/Fireblade/Speed triple/Gixxer1000, until he was 82. We miss him....

Roll on May.