Talk to me about the TT

Anything to do with being out and about, whether on your own or looking to arrange trips and adventures with forum members
Rockburner

Re: Talk to me about the TT

Post by Rockburner »

I fully intend to go again, but it won't be this year, I've left it too late. I'll have a new tradition to follow for the first day: Say hello to the Faeries, then straight up to Injebreck to say hello to Dad (we spread his ashes in his favourite place in the Manx hills last year).

The Manx (Classic TT) was always my preference simply because of the more genial and relaxed atmosphere.
non quod, sed quomodo
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Plenty of ferry tickets come available on full payment day, feb time ish. Folk dropping out.
Yamaha rocket 3
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I really want to go to the TT next year, but someone has suggested something else that is kinda making me wonder if I could defer till 2025!!

Maybe I could do the Manx next year! LOL :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

tricol wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:30 am I've just had a look for accommodation for next year, pretty much nothing left. I'm not camping. I hate camping at the best of times and it would completely ruin the experience for me.
I'm of the opinion that you need to get your arse over to the Island early in the year in which you want to attend the TT or Manx and just trawl round all the guest houses in person, asking for availability. Going in person gets way better results than using t'Internet or phone.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
westers151

Post by westers151 »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:20 pm OK, so it's as I feared, the Steam Racket have a death grip on getting to the IoM by sea, and charge accordingly. It's definitely going to be the Manx/Classic that I attend, I don't think I could deal with the TT madness and dickheads any more. I don't need there to be a constant stream of events to attend; I quite like heading off into the interior and exploring some of the more off the beaten track areas. Having said that, with an Island as comparatively small as Mann, really off the beaten track areas don't exist.

The only blot on the horizon is that Mrs Mango's younger sister may be getting married in August.

In the Philippines....
Same here.

If you've not been to the TT, do it, if only once.

However, I'd do the Manx/Classic for exactly the same reasons as Mango says. Side events on the island are great, however I prefer pottering around the place, rather than attending events. However, we're all different and for some, what I like to do isn't what they would like, so there is no right or wrong answer.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

I've been to the TT - multiple times. My first visit was on one of Motorcycle News's 36 hour TT 'specials' in 1969 - catch train to Liverpool, catch the overnight ferry as foot passenger, land in Douglas at 5 a.m , watch the 125cc TT and Senior TT, then catch the same overnight boat back to Liverpool, arriving at 5 a.m. then catch train home. It helped that I was 19 and brainless and could sleep anywhere...

After that I did the 1970-1972 TTs, then had a few years off, then came back for Hailwood's triumphal 1978 return. After that I was back every year until 1994, when I knocked it on the head. So it's a case of re-acquainting myself with the old place and finding out if it still has The Magic or not...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:50 pm
After that I did the 1970-1972 TTs, then had a few years off, then came back for Hailwood's triumphal 1978 return.
That must have been awesome. I remember running to buy MCN to see results.
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2023 3:26 pm
mangocrazy wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:50 pm
After that I did the 1970-1972 TTs, then had a few years off, then came back for Hailwood's triumphal 1978 return.
That must have been awesome. I remember running to buy MCN to see results.
The whole Island was buzzing, and when he came through Glentramman (where I was spectating) in the lead of the F1 race there were people hanging out of trees and grown men with tears running down their faces. I know; I was one. I think every single person on the Island was out celebrating that night. I know I was!

Not only that but he caught and passed Phil Read (who was on the works Honda and had started a minute ahead of Mike) just to rub salt into old wounds. Phil retired with engine failure on the 5th lap, caused by (most people think) Phil over-revving the Honda to try and beat Mike.

And it was a gloriously sunny day, as well... :)
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

tricol wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:30 am I've just had a look for accommodation for next year, pretty much nothing left. I'm not camping. I hate camping at the best of times and it would completely ruin the experience for me.
Yep the IoM has a unique climate, largely comprised of wind and rain. I've camped there in the past, wouldn't do it again. If nothing else you need somewhere you can go in and dry out and warm up, whether it's a long day out spectating or just getting caught in the rain. The closest I've come to camping while still being reasonably comfortable was taking the bikes over in a van, running a small oil radiator full time on an electrical hookup with an air mattress and folding chairs in the van.

Most hotels are block booked year on year and those that aren't are generally booked a year in advance. They know how to charge as well! Consider AirBnB, I was able to find some decent properties not too expensive, but of course the closer you get to the event the harder it is to find a place.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Just booked ferry for this yrs Manx GP, gonna miss Fridays racing coz of ferry prices but should be a laugh with 6 of us going fri-tues, hoping to camp nr Ramsey with Silly Moos?
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

We booked the Manx as soon as it was online,4 day deal bike & rider £150.
I much prefer the Manx to the TT.Never stopped at Silly Moos,I always camp at Glenlough,just before Ballagarey.
Looking forward to it already :thumbup:
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

We booked the Manx as soon as it was online,4 day deal bike & rider £150.
Yeah, bit too much dithering went on* & it was £350 for Thurs to Tues, so we ended up Fri to Tues for £275 each 😕

* Initial idea was to take a van & some old bikes, as a couple of us are celebrating significant birthdays and it seemed to be apt 🤣
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Bustaspoke wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 10:08 pm We booked the Manx as soon as it was online,4 day deal bike & rider £150.
I much prefer the Manx to the TT.Never stopped at Silly Moos,I always camp at Glenlough,just before Ballagarey.
Looking forward to it already :thumbup:

150 is pretty good. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

Something to think about if you're going over there
The Steam packet have various offers,one of which is the 4 Day deal,I only found out from others 5 or 6 years ago.
Now I always get the 4 day deal,but if it's for the Manx it sells out qutckly.I had it booked by 09.20 on the day they released the timetable :thumbup:
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

mangocrazy wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 9:20 pm I quite like heading off into the interior and exploring some of the more off the beaten track areas. Having said that, with an Island as comparatively small as Mann, really off the beaten track areas don't exist.
Oh they do!
Just depends what you're riding. Get yerself a cheap dirt donk and a whole new world opens up before you!
kendo57

Post by kendo57 »

Dodgy69 wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 2:11 pm Plenty of ferry tickets come available on full payment day, feb time ish. Folk dropping out.
Had a look at the Ferry last month and were quoted over £600 for the car, read your reply and decided to
look again this month. Quoted £320 this time , so booked a nice little cottage just outside Peel for Manx GP.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Tickets go on sale March 1st.
About 10 years ago I logged on early and got the camper on :)
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

It'll be interesting to see where Huchy fits in this year, but it's bloody hard to look passed Hicky, only really MD pushing for the top honours.

I get quite excited when it's NWest time of the year. 🙂👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I have never been to the TT, nor the IoM, but it has always lurked around near the bottom of my bucket list. This thread stirred me into action to see if I might go this year.

Fcuk me, I am waaaaay too late. No hotel rooms, all i am being offered is some sort of portacabin or a bell tent! And the price is 4 star hotel level!

I think it is now scratched off my list. I am too old to camp, I don't want to book 2 years ahead, and it looks to be a total rip-off anyway.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

I've been to the TT a few times,but IMHO these days it's full of people doing the 'Social media look at me thing' & I've never been on my motorbike it's full of proper dickheads,yo'll be doing well to get a couple of laps in.
The Manx GP/Classic TT,on the other hand is one of the highlights of my summer.Ferry costs £150 bike & rider,tickets go on sale in November :thumbup: