What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
gremlin

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by gremlin »

Buckaroo wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:34 pm
the_priest wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:11 pm Enough I think and the day is not ended yet...

Up to take prayers at 7.30am. Popped into Lidl to do a quick shop after that, then out for a Clergy Chapter meeting, my first with this group. Then back to the Vicarage where the local police came to talk about a missing man, put up poster for them. Chatted to someone who wants to get married "because we have two children and want to do it right before God". Then sorted some admin work, about to take the dog for a longer walk in the local woods. Back home for a quick dinner and then off to be a School Governor at the local school Board meeting. Home after 10pm
You certainly earn your crust, that's for sure. That said, it's your vocation, so I suspect you'd do it no matter what. :obscene-drinkingcheers:
He don't even get Sundays off. :thumbdown:

;)
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Not much really. Very challenging weekend and I've been bouncing along the bottom mentally for a few weeks, so - I did get up early-ish and met a friend for coffee then came home and baked. Kinda my happy place!!

I really should have cooked meals cos I do so need to start eating better! But I prefer baking! :lol:

Made some bakewell tarts to share and made my first ever Malt Loaf. Bit gutted on the malt loaf as somehow I knocked the dial on the oven and turned it up to nuclear :o So the top was a smidge burnt and the inside probably not cooked enough. But dammit it tastes good :D :D

Then I did crumpets again. I've been flipping them in the pan as the recipe said but someone told me that they just cook at a lower temperature and don't flip them - this way you have more chance to keep the bubble holes in the top :D It looks like it has worked. So I'll be sharing some tomorrow to get opinions from people that know :D

Met up with some friends to celebrate one of them doing the test technique to become a ski instructor. Sadly she didn't pass this time (but apparently less than 5% of people pass the first time!!) - but she did two runs, didn't crash out and did get quicker each run :bblonde: :bblonde: So we drank too much to celebrate!! :lol: :lol:

Was contemplating ski touring tomorrow, but I think I need a lie in :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

I've completed a Life Certificate to advise the Armed Forces Pension Scheme that I am still alive and well. I got the Muhtar to witness it as he's a lot cheaper than going in to the Notary in town. The bugger charged me 20 TL for his official stamp! It was 5 TL the last time he witnessed my 'still alive cert'. In reality the 20 TL I paid today is about 50p whereas the 5 TL 5 0r 6 years ago was £1. Win :banana-dance:

I've scanned and emailed the completed form to the AFPS and I'll stick the original in the post tomorrow. Their letter took about 7 weeks to get to me with a deadline of 60 working days (I guess that's about 12 weeks or so) for returning the completed form. They use Jersey Post who must pay someone to walk here with letters. However, my January pension went into the bank this morning so it's all good.

After a bite of lunch I'm off into Marmaris to be in the hospital when M returns from getting her new hip fitted. I'm putting my carer hat back on for a few days.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I've just renewed my bike and car insurance as they are both due next week. I hate it! It hurts! I'm never spending any money ever again. No more bikes, no more food, no more Prime videos or take-outs and British Gas can eff off too! Criminals!

I'll be ok in a couple of hours :P
Lockdown refugee
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Forgot to make a lunch for today so was pondering what to get at lunchtime. My fast food munching colleague told me German Doner Kebab has a £5.99 January offer on, so I had one of those. Quite nice and less greasy than my local kebab houses offering for sure. :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Made a praline semifreddo and then replaced the bidet* motor on the Gremlinette's little Audi.

I have been both Mumsnet cook and burly hands on dad in one morning.

*Rear wash/wipe. :P
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

gremlin wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 3:45 pm Made a praline semifreddo
A chocolate frog?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Half of one.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Soft frog?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Had a visitor. :D

Spotted this chap loafing in the sun, chewing the cud, down by my cabin. Then he decided to have a bit of a groom and rub his itchy antlers on a few saplings. Currently mooching about by the greenhouse eating whatever takes his fancy. If he starts on the flower beds I'll have a word. :lol:

Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Did another little ski tour. Definitely not far and OMG my lungs have not remotely recovered from the lurgy!!! Equally, the lack of skiing/touring means my legs aren't as strong as they were :roll: :roll: :roll:

Was supposed to go with a couple of friends, one bailed but the other still came. Absolutely lovely girl that's having a bit of a hard time with work and training (trying to do the course to pass the 'speed' test to be an instructor) so I've listened a lot for the last few weeks. On the flip side, ski touring to me is about getting some mental balance and the mountains seriously help me with that. A few years ago I had a bad experience with someone who spent every ski tour whinging about her work - she's worked there for a lot of years and nothing was different, so I ran out of things to say fairly early on! Then I broke my leg which was a bit of an extreme way to get out of touring!! :lol:

So when this morning's touring buddy's first comment on skis was that the insoles of her boots were bad, I ignored it. The she repeated it so I had to stop and explain that walking up for me is a positive thing and I'm not up for complaining or listening to it!! Felt pretty bad about saying it, but I'm hanging on by a frayed thread at the moment, and REALLY need some peaceful mountain time!! :lol:

Even worse, after not very long, I ran out of breath! Talking and walking at altitude is a challenge with me anyway, but this morning I just couldn't do it! So I told her to go on ahead and walk to a higher point and ski down to meet me at a point that I could get to! We did have a conversation later cos I worried that she thought she'd p'd me off. But it really was just because she wants to do the ski touring to help with training, whereas I just bimble up cos I like the view :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway - gratuitous mountain shots. Still not very far, but hopefully that'll start to improve as I get out more in Feb (once the lurgy has actually gone!!)

Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 12:54 pm Had a visitor. :D

Spotted this chap have a bit of a groom and rub his itchy antlers on a few saplings.

Did you know that a male fallow deer has a different name for every year, and you can tell their ages by counting the 'points' on their antlers.

Fawn (no antlers), Pricket Sorel, Sore, Bare Buck, Buck, Great Buck.

But I don't know about Roe deer, which that probably is ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:25 pm
Did you know that a male fallow deer has a different name for every year, and you can tell their ages by counting the 'points' on their antlers.

Fawn (no antlers), Pricket Sorel, Sore, Bare Buck, Buck, Great Buck.

But I don't know about Roe deer, which that probably is ;)
Yup, I guess it's an adult buck roe deer in pretty good condition although his winter coat is getting a bit tatty. Seemed pretty chilled, spotted one of next doors cats pretty instantly. Gave it a good stare then ignored it, the cat did an 'am I bothered' saunter through the garden. The amazing thing was when it started to mooch about, once it was in shade in the woodlandy bit of the garden it just kind of disappeared. It was only when it moved or showed the white rump that I spotted it again. Here's Blitzen sunbathing and chewing the cud.

Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:14 pm Here's Blitzen sunbathing and chewing the cud.

And here's another interesting trivia fact: 'Rudolf' was probably female :D Male reindeer lose their antlers before Christmas, females keep them later.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Discovered that fluorescent tubes have been consigned to history.

Cleared out the garage, mostly to fill my tedious day of loafing, and thought I'd sort out the tubes which were taking an age to light. New starters did sod all on 2 of the four tubes, so I thought I'd get some replacements from Screwfix. Alas no, it's all LED strips now.

Ordered a couple of new equivalent complete units, as they are a score each and it'll give me something to do next week.

I bloody hate fluorescent tubes anyway.

Switch...ting...ting, ting...ting....ting....>sigh<...ting......
LIGHT!!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 4:36 pm
And here's another interesting trivia fact: 'Rudolf' was probably female :D Male reindeer lose their antlers before Christmas, females keep them later.
Well it looks like he's moved in. :D Must have found somewhere to have a kip earlier 'cos I looked out in the last of the daylight and it was nibbling a few bushes, then disappeared so may have settled down for the night.

Funny thing is, our covenants say we must have deer-proof fencing between us and the neighbours on the left. I figure it got in so it can get out again but don't want to alarm it as the easiest route out is onto the road. Pretty sure it can jump the fence on the right hand side though...but then it has to get over a 5-bar gate to get back into 'the wild'. Shouldn't be a problem for a healthy adult deer though.
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Finally got the ITV (MOT) for the mighty Duster.

Got a towbar fitted 2 months ago and Renault/Dacia said they'd sort the paperwork. It needs adding to the Technica Fiscia. (Log book)

Took it for ITV in December and it failed coz paperwork hadn't been done.

So had to go back with all the paperwork which was sent off for checking.

Then got a call and arranged an appointment for today. Assuming just a cursory check. No. Full test again.

It passed.

But we need to go back in 2 weeks to collect the updated technica fiscia.

It's strange coz all vehicles go through the huge garage. Trucks, buses, cars and bikes.
Like a big conveyor belt
20240201_164610.jpg
20240201_164610.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 265 times
20231211_143102.jpg
20231211_143102.jpg (1.34 MiB) Viewed 265 times
20231211_142513.jpg
20231211_142513.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 265 times
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yorick wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:32 pm It's strange coz all vehicles go through the huge garage. Trucks, buses, cars and bikes.
Like a big conveyor belt
Looks very like our system.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:06 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:32 pm It's strange coz all vehicles go through the huge garage. Trucks, buses, cars and bikes.
Like a big conveyor belt
Looks and sounds like a real faff! :wtf:
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Taipan wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 10:40 pm
Skub wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:06 pm
Like a big conveyor belt
Looks and sounds like a real faff! :wtf:
It is, I pay someone to do it for me.