What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
KungFooBob

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by KungFooBob »

Dug my AMB Transponder out and put it on charge, we'll see how many days it'll last for!

It's well over 15 years old, three years ago when it was last used it still lasted three days.

I'm lending it to a mate for this season, for the last decade or so they've been subscription based, but mines a pre-subscription model and is now worth more than I paid for it!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Eaten 3 creme eggs. Happy Easter! :thumbup:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Eaten 3 creme eggs. Happy Easter! :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

6, that's just greedy... at least you paused between sittings
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just been to local clinic. They've brought in masks again temporarily coz big rise in Covid cases.
It felt strange wearing them again.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:12 pm 6, that's just greedy... at least you paused between sittings
ISTR they come in boxes of 5 now too, so buying multiple packs shows a certain level of dedication.
Skub

Post by Skub »

How many cream eggs has Tinhat devoured now?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Skub wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:09 pm How many cream eggs has Tinhat devoured now?
4 since 09:10 this morning, but I need to eat the last one or the wife will see 4 are missing, but, well, :sick:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Not me, my mate. I'm just waiting at pub for him. Just called me to say he can't make it tonight. Plane just landed, 3 hours late.

Plane set off, hurtling down runway, then captain suddenly threw the anchors out. Emergency stop. He said it was scary and plane seemed a bit unstable. He said it only just stopped short of danger.

Changed planes and the takeoff 3 hours later was very strange
I hate takeoffs and landings
Felix

Post by Felix »

Taipan wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:08 pm Eaten 3 creme eggs. Happy Easter! :thumbup:
Were they so good you mentioned then twice?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Woke up to a lottery win. Okay it was only £50 and I still have to go to work this week, but its better than nowt! :thumbup:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:23 pm Not me, my mate. I'm just waiting at pub for him. Just called me to say he can't make it tonight. Plane just landed, 3 hours late.

Plane set off, hurtling down runway, then captain suddenly threw the anchors out. Emergency stop. He said it was scary and plane seemed a bit unstable. He said it only just stopped short of danger.

The plane would seem unstable with a full on e-stop just before v1.

I don’t mind landings but take-offs still make me nervous.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

wheelnut wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:21 am
Yorick wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:23 pm Not me, my mate. I'm just waiting at pub for him. Just called me to say he can't make it tonight. Plane just landed, 3 hours late.

The plane would seem unstable with a full on e-stop just before v1.

I don’t mind landings but take-offs still make me nervous.
Yes! RTO is THE big brake test, and as a minimum needs a fair wait around for them to cool down. Sometimes tyres burst and brakes catch fire!

Daughter recently flew to the States, and I decided to watch her progress on Flightradar. Saw it taxi out, line up on runway, and then partway down it slowed and turned off. That had me twitching a bit!
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Last time I flew to Germany there was a problem with a minor hatch/flap and ground crew had to come and "fix it". AKA duct tape it shut :lol:

Anyway...Mrs D was watching from home on flight radar, because it was on the flight line their little Land Rover Defender had a transponder too :D. She watched it set off from the maintenance depot and drive out to me.

I've only done RTO in a light aircraft with 4 big blokes. Basically didn't get enough speed up due to the weight being a bit marginal :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 12:30 pm
Daughter recently flew to the States, and I decided to watch her progress on Flightradar. Saw it taxi out, line up on runway, and then partway down it slowed and turned off. That had me twitching a bit!
During one of the big storms I looked at Heathrow on FR. There were a couple of go arounds during attempted landings.

At the point, I decided I didn't need to know anymore.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:08 pm
During one of the big storms I looked at Heathrow on FR. There were a couple of go arounds during attempted landings.

I was on an incoming flight to Heathrow one dark evening. It felt like it was about 45 seconds from touchdown then whoooosh, pushed back in the seat, engines giving it beans. Captain comes on and says 'Soz, a French aircraft was slow to clear the runway'. He was very emphatic about it being French. :lol:

Round we go.To a chorus of 'Not again!' from a few passengers - so it seemed to happen quite a lot.

I do remember Millwall were playing at home because footy grounds stand out a bit in the dark.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Buckaroo

Post by Buckaroo »

KungFooBob wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:51 am Dug my AMB Transponder out and put it on charge, we'll see how many days it'll last for!

It's well over 15 years old, three years ago when it was last used it still lasted three days.

I'm lending it to a mate for this season, for the last decade or so they've been subscription based, but mines a pre-subscription model and is now worth more than I paid for it!
AMB as in race transponder? I've not seen or used one of these since my RC racing days. Cost the club a small fortune for a bank of 10. Happy days!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Whenever there's a bit of a blowy day I tune into BigjetsTV on youtube :thumbup:
katana

Post by katana »

Playing with a geobook... these books are really shite and can't believe that the gov bought these for school kids.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:23 pm

Whenever there's a bit of a blowy day I tune into BigjetsTV on youtube :thumbup:
Back in 1999 or 2000 I was working in Paris and was on the last plane that landed at Heathrow that night. Blowing a gale and the pilot put it down HARD. So hard she ( it was a female pilot) apologised and shared the information that it had been so hard the plane was grounded until it had been thoroughly checked.

Another landing at Edinburgh had us floating just above the ground for ages, followed by full emergency breaking and reverse thrust all the way to a full stop, with about 30 feet of runway left.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!