What have you done today thread?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
KungFooBob

Re: What have you done today thread?

Post by KungFooBob »

Buckaroo wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:22 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:51 am Dug my AMB Transponder out and put it on charge, we'll see how many days it'll last for!

It's well over 15 years old, three years ago when it was last used it still lasted three days.

I'm lending it to a mate for this season, for the last decade or so they've been subscription based, but mines a pre-subscription model and is now worth more than I paid for it!
AMB as in race transponder? I've not seen or used one of these since my RC racing days. Cost the club a small fortune for a bank of 10. Happy days!

You need one if you want to race with the ACU in the UK, most clubs these days have a case full and they hire them out for the weekend, but that wasn't a thing when I first started racing.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Try being in a light aircraft on a sight seeing flight around the Bahamas as it has engine failure and you glide towards the sea, seeing the sharks below. You survive the landing, but are pretty bashed up and bleeding and now you're sitting on the wing of a slowly sinking Cessna, dripping blood into the sea, praying help gets here before you end up as shark feed, then you'll know fear! Well, it could happen couldn't it...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:54 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:23 pm
Horse wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 1:08 pm

During one of the big storms I looked at Heathrow on FR. There were a couple of go arounds during attempted landings.

At the point, I decided I didn't need to know anymore.
Whenever there's a bit of a blowy day I tune into BigjetsTV on youtube :thumbup:
Back in 1999 or 2000 I was working in Paris and was on the last plane that landed at Heathrow that night. Blowing a gale and the pilot put it down HARD. So hard she ( it was a female pilot) apologised and shared the information that it had been so hard the plane was grounded until it had been thoroughly checked.

Another landing at Edinburgh had us floating just above the ground for ages, followed by full emergency breaking and reverse thrust all the way to a full stop, with about 30 feet of runway left.
When I was a kid we flew (attempted to fly!) to Jersey on a BA 737. We had two maybe three attempts at putting it down before the pilot sacked it off as too windy. We had to go back and get a bigger 757 :D
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:15 pm Try being in a light aircraft on a sight seeing flight around the Bahamas as it has engine failure and you glide towards the sea, seeing the sharks below. You survive the landing, but are pretty bashed up and bleeding and now you're sitting on the wing of a slowly sinking Cessna, dripping blood into the sea, praying help gets here before you end up as shark feed, then you'll know fear! Well, it could happen couldn't it...
Who would you call for help?
61nHMjKXBeL._SX354_SY354_BL0_QL100__UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg
61nHMjKXBeL._SX354_SY354_BL0_QL100__UXNaN_FMjpg_QL85_.jpg (50.49 KiB) Viewed 293 times
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Another fckin bedroom decorated....
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

v8-powered wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 3:57 pm Another fckin bedroom decorated....
Best kind of bedroom :thumbup:
David

Post by David »

Been to buy a Blind 20 miles away.....SWMBO,d says..."Oh...I thought it was 91.5 INCHES, not C.M."

Grrrr.
Onto Malmsbury 50 miles now to look at curtains. Lovely curtains, newly made. She came away with about 60 odd metres of velvet, wool and silk, as well as the curtains.About £80.
On the way past the M32 turn (past,not approaching!) she says...I have to go to Ikea....so big diversion to the Swedish place where she spends £90 on curtain rails.
I thought we were short of cash......
Skub

Post by Skub »

David wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:10 pm Been to buy a Blind 20 miles away.....SWMBO,d says..."Oh...I thought it was 91.5 INCHES, not C.M."

Grrrr.
Onto Malmsbury 50 miles now to look at curtains. Lovely curtains, newly made. She came away with about 60 odd metres of velvet, wool and silk, as well as the curtains.About £80.
On the way past the M32 turn (past,not approaching!) she says...I have to go to Ikea....so big diversion to the Swedish place where she spends £90 on curtain rails.
You need to buy a few bike parts now,otherwise the universe may tilt and everything will fall out.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

The ironing.

I should add that I only iron my own clothes. The wife doesn't like me doing her stuff because I'm apparently piss poor at ironing.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:43 pm The ironing.

I should add that I only iron my own clothes. The wife doesn't like me doing her stuff because I'm apparently piss poor at ironing.
Last time I had anything ironed was a shirt for my mum's funeral, 15 years ago.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I'm the ironing bitch in our house and I'll fight dirty to defend my right,motherfuckers. 8-)
Walt Whitman
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I can iron but, when I was doing my own shirts for work it took me an evening to do five. It took my missus 2-3 minutes a shirt, at most. In the end I did a deal, you iron, I'll cook.

(I improved once I realised that the shirt is moving constantly, as is the iron and you're trying to iron out the wrinkles in a very curved shape, not flatten it :lol: )
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Bustaspoke

Post by Bustaspoke »

One of my mates was 60 last week so we organised a surprise meet up for him on the beach at Crosby where all those Gormley sculptures face out to sea.It was windy as & my eyes & ears felt like they'd been blasted with mersey grit.We all had a very enjoyable if somewhat windswept time of it :thumbup:

David

Post by David »

Skub wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:42 pm
David wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:10 pm Been to buy a Blind 20 miles away.....SWMBO,d says..."Oh...I thought it was 91.5 INCHES, not C.M."

Grrrr.
You need to buy a few bike parts now,otherwise the universe may tilt and everything will fall out.
It may need a whole bike........
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:16 pm

Whenever there's a bit of a blowy day I tune into BigjetsTV on youtube :thumbup:
Back in 1999 or 2000 I was working in Paris and was on the last plane that landed at Heathrow that night. Blowing a gale and the pilot put it down HARD. So hard she ( it was a female pilot) apologised and shared the information that it had been so hard the plane was grounded until it had been thoroughly checked.

Another landing at Edinburgh had us floating just above the ground for ages, followed by full emergency breaking and reverse thrust all the way to a full stop, with about 30 feet of runway left.
When I was a kid we flew (attempted to fly!) to Jersey on a BA 737. We had two maybe three attempts at putting it down before the pilot sacked it off as too windy. We had to go back and get a bigger 757 :D
Well thanx everyone. I’m now seriously reconsidering my travel plans for March

I sodding well hate flying! Take off is not great. Landing is terrifying. I’m ok at the actual flying bit unless it’s bumpy, then I’m very not ok ☹️☹️
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Bloody mad wind here. I've had to drag the weighty cast iron bench in front of the 'up and over' garage door to stop it blowing open. Big sou-westerly gusts. Really mild though,into double figures which is a bit of a shock from the freezing temps of recent days.
Walt Whitman
Felix

Post by Felix »

Skub wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:27 pm Bloody mad wind here. I've had to drag the weighty cast iron bench in front of the 'up and over' garage door to stop it blowing open. Big sou-westerly gusts. Really mild though,into double figures which is a bit of a shock from the freezing temps of recent days.
My wheelie bin moved a good two foot. Itys bin day in the morning and the street is going to look a right shit house as at least 50% of the street have them out. Blowing a hooley
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Skub wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:27 pm Bloody mad wind here. I've had to drag the weighty cast iron bench in front of the 'up and over' garage door to stop it blowing open. Big sou-westerly gusts. Really mild though,into double figures which is a bit of a shock from the freezing temps of recent days.
I'm loving the fact I'm not having to put the fire on. Not that I care about the fuel etc, just not keen on being freezing
Felix

Post by Felix »

weeksy wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:32 pm
I'm loving the fact I'm not having to put the fire on. Not that I care about the fuel etc, just not keen on being freezing
I was out the back with the dog about half an hour ago and its not cold up here either. Northern Ireland must be taking the brunt of that and blowing its heat over to Scotland. Bonus. :lol:
katana

Post by katana »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:16 pm

Guernseys worse. Four aeroplanes, one leaks and another one that passengers have to hold shut.